Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I am the secretary-treasurer for a small (around 100-member) non-profit organization. I've been in this position for three years. I inherited a useless Access database (which was basically just a series of unconnected tables) and an incomprehensible Excel finance spreadsheet. I've managed to clean both up so that they both work for what I need at the moment.

I'll be rotating out of this position in the next year or so, however, and I have no idea if the next person will have the knowledge/skills/time to figure out how to use Access and Excel sufficiently; or if they'll even have Access available to them. So I'm looking for something that I can move the organization's data into for future secretary-treasurers.

These are the things I'm currently doing with each program:

Access
* Membership management - contact information, tracking membership payments and renewals, sending out reminders and other bulk emails, and building an annual directory to put on our website.
* Donation management - tracking donations to our two primary funds, including putting a portion of each dues payment toward one fund.

Excel
* Basic financial spreadsheet - tabs for checking and savings activity as well as a tab for PayPal activity; includes a full summary tab and a tab for calculating periodic financial summaries that I use to build my bi-annual treasurer's reports.
* I also use this to track donations, annual meeting expenses and income, and any other organizational expenses.

The Excel file is fine, because I have it set up pretty much to run itself. I think I could create an instruction manual for it for future secretary-treasurers. But the Access database, while miles better than it was, is still pretty finicky. Plus, again, I don't know if they'll have access to either software.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been thinking of either some sort of easy to use database program or a full membership management software. Something free/open source would be great, but I think I can talk the organization into paying for something if in return we have an easy to use system that will be reasonably future-secretary-treasurer-proof. If it integrates with PayPal, that would be even better.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread