Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

jivjov posted:

Ironic stance, given that Civil War was the kickoff of Phase 3

Season finales usually help kickoff the next season, usually with some sort of cliff hanger... like the Avengers being broken up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Ironic stance, given that Civil War was the kickoff of Phase 3

Their phase delineations don't match how the movies are written. The Avengers doesn't cap off the stories told in phase 1, instead it introduces the themes that will be explored in the next series of movies: Cap deals with discovering Hydra inside SHIELD (a feature-length retelling of him finding the Hydra weapons on the helicarrier) while Fury deals with the Illuminati (introduced at the end of Avengers 1); Tony copes with his PTSD from New York; the Guardians tangle with events prompted by the big villain introduced at the end of Avengers; and Thor deals with his brother in prison. Similarly, Ant-Man and Civil War address the conflict between the Avengers as famous heroes and the Avengers as famously irresponsible, which only has any weight because of Sokovia.

Which makes a certain amount of sense. They build the movies so that you don't have to have seen everything that came before. They only assume you've seen the previous Avengers movies, since those do have the biggest audience.

The next two are Doctor Strange and Guardians 2, which will presumably ignore Civil War. Thor: Ragnarok should similarly ignore it. But Spider-Man and Black Panther are also before Infinity War, and if they also are basically independent of Civil War then it leaves the Accords as pretty much a wet fart.

MacheteZombie posted:

Season finales usually help kickoff the next season, usually with some sort of cliff hanger... like the Avengers being broken up

My prediction, given how Marvel does things, is that Infinity War will tacitly acknowledge that things are strained between Tony and Steve without meaningful dependence on the actual plot of Civil War, such that a simple exchange of "I know things aren't good between us," "this is bigger than that" being enough to both catch up the audience and resolve it within the space of a single scene.

Because it's not like the Avengers are actually broken up. Tony and Steve almost killed each other, and are still in much closer contact than anyone is with Banner, which is the status quo from Age of Ultron.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but closely following the premise of Civil War would've made for an actually compelling story. Especially if they doubled down on Tony's agreeing to regulation only because he plans to break it as soon as he feels like it, then implementing all these totalitarian measures out of desperation, because that doesn't work when you're the one running the show.

It's sort of written this way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

My prediction, given how Marvel does things, is that Infinity War will tacitly acknowledge that things are strained between Tony and Steve without meaningful dependence on the actual plot of Civil War, such that a simple exchange of "I know things aren't good between us," "this is bigger than that" being enough to both catch up the audience and resolve it within the space of a single scene.

Because it's not like the Avengers are actually broken up. Tony and Steve almost killed each other, and are still in much closer contact than anyone is with Banner, which is the status quo from Age of Ultron.

I'm expecting this as well. At most it will have each set of heroes dealing with independent issues that tie together into them teaming back up. Cap and crew investigating some mysterious alien crash site and Tony's crew investigating a signal originating from space, and then boom both of these are part of the same crisis and "setting differences aside" to fight the real evil happens.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ashpanash posted:

Oh my god do you BvS/Zach Snyder fellators ever let up? It's just a movie, guys. Let it go.

If it's just a movie then why do you care about it getting dunked on repeatedly

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So just saw the film finally, liked it...but my major complaints are about Thunderbolt Ross. First off, he blames the Avengers for Loki and the Chitauri invading New York? You know, Sokovia, yeah, that can be traced back to Tony/Wanda loving with Tony's mind, and the helicarriers crashing on DC I think there's some blame to spread around on that score. But the closest you could come to blaming them for New York is to blame Nick Fury for loving around with the Tesseract.

And also, isn't there a conflict of interest in Ross arguing in favor of regulating enhanced humans, when one of those enhanced humans was plowing his daughter? They should've just enhanced Martin Freeman's role to cover that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My major complaints with the film is it's flimsy premise. I only halfway buy the Sokovia stuff but maybe I need to rewatch Avengers 2 even though I thought it was dull and boring. But the biggest annoyance was that the only evidence they had of anything Barnes did was a grainy rear end photograph and it turned out that you could probably get away with a lot if you just use a mask like Zemo did in this film.

Despite that, I think they nailed the whole Tony Stark is an rear end in a top hat angle just like BvsS nailed the whole Bruce Wayne is an rear end in a top hat aspect.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And also, isn't there a conflict of interest in Ross arguing in favor of regulating enhanced humans, when one of those enhanced humans was plowing his daughter? They should've just enhanced Martin Freeman's role to cover that.

I honestly don't remember Freeman in this movie. Did he do anything or was he just a featured extra?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

well why not posted:

I honestly don't remember Freeman in this movie. Did he do anything or was he just a featured extra?

I think he's the jailer that locks up Barnes and zemo

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

This was the real reason they tried to kill Coulson off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the note of Infinity War it being a two part movie might let them keep the Avengers broken for the first one at least. Thanos will probably win the first time and then Guardians 2 happens which holds him off and Avengers Infinity War part 2 has them working together to win.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally, apparently instead of Infinity War parts 1 and 2, we're getting Infinity War and as-yet-untitled Avengers 4

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Having Thanos win and actually subjugate the planet for a year would be pretty rad. Much better than the 'Age' of Ultron (which was like two weeks).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lord_Magmar posted:

On the note of Infinity War it being a two part movie might let them keep the Avengers broken for the first one at least. Thanos will probably win the first time and then Guardians 2 happens which holds him off and Avengers Infinity War part 2 has them working together to win.

I severely doubt Thanos is really going to be in the first film for more than ~15 minutes.

Most likely there's going to be some sort of fight between the Avengers and his minions, climaxing with a Big Name Character (that's not Tony Stark) dying and the baddies rushing back to Thanos.

Then in the second film they resolve everything including bringing that character back to life (may or may not be as a different actor).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

well why not posted:

Having Thanos win and actually subjugate the planet for a year would be pretty rad. Much better than the 'Age' of Ultron (which was like two weeks).
Well, it was called that because the comic book version involved time travel. I think. I don't remember it clearly. It was actually far more muddled than the movie, if you can believe that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Most likely there's going to be some sort of fight between the Avengers and his minions, climaxing with a Big Name Character (that's not Tony Stark) dying and the baddies rushing back to Thanos.

loving lol if that's how Rhodey eats it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And also, isn't there a conflict of interest in Ross arguing in favor of regulating enhanced humans, when one of those enhanced humans was plowing his daughter?

Not only that, he actually enhanced his own soldier, who went on to terrorize NYC as well. Not sure I'd say conflict of interest, but definitely a bit of hypocrisy there. I never did understand the end of The Incredible Hulk, Abomination was pretty clearly still alive with Hulk hit the road, so I guess he's just locked up somewhere? Pretty nice vote of confidence from Banner that he trusted them to competently lock away a dude that was stronger and smarter than he was.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Abomination was mentioned offhand in Agents of SHIELD, which means he will never appear in a movie ever again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cardboard Box A posted:

Abomination was mentioned offhand in Agents of SHIELD, which means he will never appear in a movie ever again.

This is really how the Avengers should be detaining their villain: banishing them to the show.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

well why not posted:

loving lol if that's how Rhodey eats it.

Wouldn't be too far from the way it went down in the comics.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Civil War was built around a conflict where neither side could convincingly advocate their point of view, which was just reduced to crazy buddy vs dead parents shouting at the end anyway. And will be papered over when aliens arrive so who cares.

It's a big step down from Winter Soldier and just kinda fails to keep its poo poo together.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Geniasis posted:

This is really how the Avengers should be detaining their villain: banishing them to the show.

The Avengers' new strategy is to embrace meta-narrative as a weapon. In the ultimate irony, Tony Stark will call in the Agents of SHIELD, so Thanos will instantly decay into a C-tier villain whose influence will never be felt beyond the bounds of 10/9c on ABC.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Geniasis posted:

Breaks several Geneva and Hague Convention regulations about the humane treatment of prisoners of war though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sean10mm posted:

And will be papered over when aliens arrive so who cares.

This, in and of itself, isn't really a problem - World War 2 is hecka interesting, and liberal capitalists, state capitalists, communists of various stripes, and a dozen kinds of monarchy each consisting of millions of people papered over their difference for 10 years when the fascists "arrived". Not that I expect Marvel to wring much out of that but odd bedfellows is a perfectly good concept.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

well why not posted:

This would make the next round of Netflix shows really interesting- providing a street view of life under Thanos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
If the ideology of the series matches that of the films, it would be a big-budget rendition of If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

This would make the next round of Netflix shows really interesting- providing a street view of life under Thanos.
The titular Age of Ultron was not the time in which the movie takes place. It's the future the team wants to, and successfully do, avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

If the ideology of the series matches that of the films, it would be a big-budget rendition of If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do?

This would be sick.

• Locked thread