Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

Also the programmer put in a vague anti-cheat device that matches in threat to the cheat device against the player. In G.U. a character does a thing that makes it look like a cheat device has used the entire Internet. The anti-cheat device then goes on to grow in size enough to shut off the entire Internet, which makes it so a satellite threatens to crash into Japan because it needs the Internet?

I think it's all fun as hell personally.
sounds like it would be great if i could ever stomach it to put all the dumb clues together, but boy the pacing of those games was murder

probably the cartoons too but i don't think i ever sat down to try and watch em all, just caught some randomly here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Steve2911 posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even know there was a third one.

How does that happen in a world where MediEvil 3 never got made?

it came out the same day bioshock infinite did. its not a bad game, sure the story is lite and dumb and everyones one dementional action movie character. I do like the villians death, because it shits on a trope in media i loving hate. the trope of the bad guy who is terrible monster of human being is unarmed and the heros have the moment where they try to talk the one character out of executing the villian because "something something, jail or something something, you will be as bad as he is" but the gameplay is fun and kinda arcady.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't get me wrong I would not expect anybody to try and get into the clusterfuck that was .hack (not to mention the expense now) but having mysteries to solve that would give you clues through games and animes was super compelling at the time. Like you get to the plot twist at the end of the second G.U. game and it gives you a ton of closure on both the show and the game at the same time.

It also doesn't help that the Roots anime was so unpopular in the US that it couldn't even get on Adult Swim, it would air after that entire block at like 5 in the morning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tenzarin posted:

Watched the first series, played the first game. I can't believe the .hack genre was even considered games they were so bad.

Go back and try to watch that series, I bet you cant because it also sucks rear end.

Its badly paced and the plot is kinda weak, but the locations and the music and just the atmosphere of it all is still pretty enjoyable. And unique.

When I first started watching Sword Art Online I was like "oh man, this is just like .hack but so much better!" but then not halfway through the first season it was already shittier than .hack ever was, and the later seasons I couldn't even make myself watch. Sooooooo bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Steve2911 posted:

Heeey wait a minute. In Uncharted 4, why did Avery make the trail to Libertalia so long, convoluted and dangerous? While you're on the trail they speculate that he was recruiting the best, bravest and most pious pirates to his cause. But if he was just planning to rob them anyway then why the gently caress.

(I realise that the answer is 'so the first two thirds of the game can happen').

He wanted to make it so nobody except for the people who finished the trials and got the gold coin invitation would be able to find it, probably so that there would be no evidence of his and Tew's deception and murder of everyone else.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

When I first started watching Sword Art Online I was like "oh man, this is just like .hack but so much better!" but then not halfway through the first season it was already shittier than .hack ever was, and the later seasons I couldn't even make myself watch. Sooooooo bad.

I couldn't stand to even get through the first episode because all the contrivances to get people trapped in the game in the first place was dumb as hell.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Phantasium posted:

Don't get me wrong I would not expect anybody to try and get into the clusterfuck that was .hack (not to mention the expense now) but having mysteries to solve that would give you clues through games and animes was super compelling at the time. Like you get to the plot twist at the end of the second G.U. game and it gives you a ton of closure on both the show and the game at the same time.

It also doesn't help that the Roots anime was so unpopular in the US that it couldn't even get on Adult Swim, it would air after that entire block at like 5 in the morning.

What a surprise that the forth series in a series of a show that no one had saw on adult swim, did badly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

It's June soon, where's the thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778383 right here baby

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait for the days of VR game Let's Plays to become more of a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwKFQImB8Mc

It encapsulates everything I dislike about most LPs :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Unfunny Poster posted:

I too can't wait this form of video game journalism to die a painful fiery death into the chasm with spikes in Mortal Kombat 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CJacobs posted:

He wanted to make it so nobody except for the people who finished the trials and got the gold coin invitation would be able to find it, probably so that there would be no evidence of his and Tew's deception and murder of everyone else.

Yeah but after the trials there were two more (very lengthly) stages pointing the way to the correct island, most of which was busywork.

I understand making it hard to find, but it's incredible that they managed to lure seemingly hundreds there given the bullshit they'd have gone through.

Anyway other than that the whole Libertaria backstory was excellent. There was some pretty incredible use of environmental storytelling, and a lesser game would've crammed in at least one flashback to tell it. You can see lessons learnt making TLOU pretty clearly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah but after the trials there were two more (very lengthly) stages pointing the way to the correct island, most of which was busywork.

I understand making it hard to find, but it's incredible that they managed to lure seemingly hundreds there given the bullshit they'd have gone through.

Anyway other than that the whole Libertaria backstory was excellent. There was some pretty incredible use of environmental storytelling, and a lesser game would've crammed in at least one flashback to tell it. You can see lessons learnt making TLOU pretty clearly.

Really the whole thing is a big ol' Indiana Jones-style "How did they build this?? Why's it so elaborate?? lol I dunno just go climb around on it". I don't think the game expects you to pay much mind to it; you're especially not supposed to wonder how the hell the pirates erected Libertalia in the first place considering they all abandoned their lives except for their monetary wealth in getting there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Guy Mann posted:

.hack could have been one pretty good game but stretching it over four games and adding a bunch of MMORPG padding to justify it ruined a lot of that.

I'd much rather they made a Summer Wars game because that bonkers anything-goes design philosophy is a lot more interesting than vaguely European fantasy.

That would be pretty neat. The Summer Wars digital world was really neat even if the anime as a whole was just alright.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Phantasium posted:

This post got me excited thinking they adapted Roots into an anime

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kindness always matters

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that's not a very Kirby thought. Kindness is Kirby's highest stat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think people aren't too keen on that new Metroid game because it looks like a follow up to Hunters, a game that pretty much only had going for it that it had the Metroid ascetic, and stripping away that ascetic to make it look like cut mode from Nintendoland

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

adios may thread

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Still got a few hours if you're in a good time zone

i say good but I bet it doesn't get to 110f at the beginning of June out on the east coast, does it :smith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kirby is mean I know that because he has mean eyes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One thing I appreciate about Kirby is that it's one of the few games where your character has a flight power that is completely unrestricted. Usually whenever a game gives you a jetpack or flight or a dragon form it immediately starts putting up anti-air units to force you on the ground but Kirby just lets you flutter around forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, that's not a very Kirby thought. Kindness is Kirby's highest stat.

Unless you're dealing with food. Kirby is a huge dick if you stand in the way of him and something edible.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sayonara, May the Chat Thread

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here, I made a new thread because why not?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778457

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wamdoodle posted:

In addition to Action Doom, try out Action Doom 2. It turns the game into a brawler. http://action.mancubus.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcavFCKk87w

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh god two threads what have you done

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sticky both

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
June Chat Sun & June Chat Moon

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Yin June thread and the Yang June thread.

Everybody participating is required to express the opposite opinion to the one he/she expressed in the other thread.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

June Chat Sun & June Chat Moon

Edit: Dead thread postin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Palpek posted:

The Yin June thread and the Yang June thread.

Everybody participating is required to express the opposite opinion to the one he/she expressed in the other thread.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Edit: Dead thread postin'
Dead Thread Redemption

• Locked thread