Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Cart Mountain posted:

that followup left was so loving fast

yeah that was lightning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Putting your toe out on a guys jaw is pretty tight

That follow up left was solid as gently caress though

Quick as gently caress, too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
reem's new style is way more tedious in comparison to his old style of losing instantly and hilariously but god drat if it isn't working for him

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
That was a cool finish.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
That was tite

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Overeem needed this win after that nasty loss to his barber.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Fun fight! Sorry Arlovski. :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Good Overeem owns

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think we need that Hunt/Overeem rematch I keep Dreaming about now.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
karate kick out of nowhere

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Can't wait to see Stipe kill overeem.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

henkman posted:

I will not be watching this live because I'm helping my sister move but I hope overeem and struve win

:grin:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Arlovski's body was hosed up.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
You guys know this is all just leading to a title shot where he he's gonna get knocked out in the funniest way possible

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

cool poo poo

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dangersim posted:

You guys know this is all just leading to a title shot where he he's gonna get knocked out in the funniest way possible

i'll watch flying karate overeem lose to werdum

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

That was a good main card. Didn't want Overeem or Arlovski to lose, but good win for the reem.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dangersim posted:

i know this might be controversial but to me it's good when two guys who have ten years of history and are 1-1 with each other have a title fight

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I didn't say he doesn't deserve it or I don't want to see it, just that Reem gonna Reem

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just watched the Struve and Overeem fights. Good poo poo. Any other fights worth tracking down?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just watched the Struve and Overeem fights. Good poo poo. Any other fights worth tracking down?

I just finished watching the Khabilov fight. Nothing spectacular, but it has its moments if you needed an excuse to pop on your papakha. And I'd say the entire main card is worth a watch.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Buff Gunnar fight was cool.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Way late to this but

Triticum Guzzler posted:

gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. [hangs out of window] gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. [street begins chanting] gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. [cnn ticker begins to read "gently caress bigfoot"] gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. [obama briefs the press on "gently caress bigfoot" by repeating "gently caress bigfoot" for half an hour] gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. [the fractured peoples of the world are united under the banner of gently caress bigfoot] gently caress bigfoot. gently caress bigfoot. [godzilla emerges from the sea, rears back, and roars "gently caress bigfoot" at a picturesque coastline]. gently caress BIGFOOT. F U C K. B I G F O O T

e:

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 9, 2016

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
why do people hate bigfoot? i'm not in the know

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Eat Bum Zen posted:

used steroids to try and hurt my dad

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I don't get it either he seems like the coolest dude and has always been fun to watch until his current rough stretch. If anything I wouldn't mind seeing him retire simply for his healthy.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

SquirrelGrip posted:

used steroids to try and hurt my dad

steroids own and arlovski is a weird dude

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Bigfoot has a hipster beard now because he was making Brazilian Excuses before they were cool. He's ironically mocking himself and thus he's now a cool guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Used steroids repeatedly and lied about needing them or he'd die. We know he lied because he told the same story after failed tests half a decade apart.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

“When I started managing him, he was actually lactating. He has extreme low testosterone. He has extremely low testosterone, so he has a real reason to be on TRT. I didn’t really take part in the [Fight Night] TRT process. There was a miscommunication between him and his doctor. If I was in the middle of it maybe we would have avoided it. I didn’t realize I needed to be involved. He took the instructions wrong, but he did not try to cheat. What happened was, there was a miscommunication with the doctor and he ended up taking injections at the wrong time. He was taking (once) a month then started taking (once) a week. He took one a week before the fight and one at the week of the fight, which wasn’t supposed to. It got mixed up.”

My tits leak too, but I won't die from it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I have to admit I don't know anything about Wim Hof other than he sits in ice a lot. It sounded like a lot of what he was saying was about pH (you can ignore anyone talking about pH in a health context 100% of the time) which is really easy to manipulate by hyperventilating. However I was interested when he mentioned the hypothalamus and saw that basically all he does is breathing exercises and reinforcing an "in the present" narrative.

What he's doing is essentially mindfulness training. The variability of your heart rate is one of the biofeedback mechanisms (via the vagus nerve) to the brain regulating a whole lot of things, but at its most basic, you have very basic evolutionary brain functions that work much faster than the larger neocortex involved in higher processing. However you still need to react to things like deadly situations fast, so sensory feedback is "split" to the faster part of the brain (the limbic system/"lizard brain") and the neocortex. If the limbic system says "oh poo poo" and perceives the stimulus, rightly or wrongly, to be dangerous, the HPA axis gets activated and your mind quite literally constricts, and you get more neurons firing in the fast part than the slow part. Most of you have probably experienced this during a time of stress when you said something without thinking that made you sound like a huge rear end in a top hat, and only have a realisation momentarily afterwards and apologise.

So you can't directly control your heart rate, but you can control your breathing rate, which is linked to your heart rate, and thus control your vagal tone. Here's where it gets important, by having more control over your response to stress, you can help with things like recovery from exercise (cortisol increases proteolysis (muscle breakdown essentially) and opposes the action of insulin) but from a neuroscience perspective, the "fight or flight" response is a bit reductive, because we have a third response: to freeze and play dead, which Overeem does constantly when under pressure (danger stimulus). The immediate response to hearing that is to think well that's all well and good when you're sitting in some kook's pool but it's not going to have much effect on a fight, and to a large extent that's true. There's still going to be a huge adrenaline response during a fight (though the more you do something stressful the more blunted the cortisol response gets, I learned this from a guy who repeatedly threw people out of planes and tested their cortisol response) but you can actually alter the density of certain brain regions with even a few weeks of training.

The long and short of it is it can help out with recovery, if he's got the presence of mind to use it during round breaks it might help him absorb cornering instructions, and in the best case scenario might make him freeze up less. I did a 10 week course with a guy who uses mindfulness techniques to influence vagal tone in people with things like chronic diseases or mental disorders/addictions for a bunch of feasibility studies, it was really eye opening.

Catching up on thread now, this was an excellent post

Triticum Guzzler posted:

so before you all spend an evening or afternoon watching dutch mutants beat people to death, please take a moment to yourself, so you can drift away. mindfulness training can be useful for pretty much everybody and takes almost no effort whatsoever.

lol

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The long and short of it is it can help out with recovery, if he's got the presence of mind to use it during round breaks it might help him absorb cornering instructions, and in the best case scenario might make him freeze up less. I did a 10 week course with a guy who uses mindfulness techniques to influence vagal tone in people with things like chronic diseases or mental disorders/addictions for a bunch of feasibility studies, it was really eye opening.
:eyepop:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

origami posted:

hmmm yeah

The tale of UFC-era Overeem is literally parallel to that of Trunks during and after the Cell Games. :ssj:

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Horiguchi/Seery was also a really fun fight. Gooch looked on fire and Seery is durable as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

colonel_korn posted:

Way late to this but

e:

• Locked thread