Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5296sGUHz_8

From the creator of the cute'n'clever Nintendo-oriented webcomic Brawl in the Family comes a new rhythm game for PC (just released on Steam) and Wii U (coming soon). It features the simple art style and humor of the comic, but is an entirely new IP. If you're not familiar with BitF, this video is a great example of the aesthetic you can expect.

Story
Baton, a newly-hatched tadpole, must find her way back home through twelve stages, each with its own song. The story is told through the stages themselves and the occasional animated comic strip cutscene.

Gameplay
You control Baton as she moves through the song, avoiding the notes that make up the main melody line (and sometimes other parts of the track). Along the way, you'll gather bubbles to unlock rewards, and usually also deal with a stage-specific mechanic that will spice things up. Each stage also features its own bonus challenge that leads to a special reward.

What makes this game work so well is the organic way that the game is as difficult as you want it to be. A good portion of each track is empty space, so the game is very kid-friendly: it's easy to simply survive and make it to the end of the track by dodging notes and picking up health as needed

The difficulty increases as you attempt to collect all the bubbles/sparkles, smack all the bamboo rods/cymbals, and manage your star power Treble Mode™ to squeeze out extra points at note-dense sections of the track. Finding the optimal way to beat a song and being able to execute it are the two halves to getting onto the Tadpole Treble leaderboards.

Music
Tadpole Treble boasts a 30-song soundtrack composed and largely performed by brothers Matthew and Michael Taranto. While I'd hesitate to call them "artistic" in the classical sense, they are talented composers who create catchy, tuneful melodies that will have you whistling days after you finish playing.

Length
Tadpole Treble is short - if you're just looking to blow through the main story, you can do so in under an hour if you have any experience with the genre. I estimate that a skilled rhythm gamer could 100% the game in around 6 hours. That replayability comes from collecting all the bubbles and completing the special challenges - and after that, there's user-created content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRzZLDcD9Bk
Stage Creator
Though I feel single player is where the meat of the game is, a lot of people are loving the stage creator, which functions as a modern Mario Paint music creation tool. If you can wade through 500 renditions of Undertale's Megalovania, there are probably some gems out there.

Final Notes
This is a charming game that will make you smile. Plus, the rhythm genre is anemic enough on PC, with many games focusing heavily on electronica/drum'n'bass/etc. Tadpole Treble is a breath of fresh air in both soundtrack and design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just posting to say I finally got round to playing the game today (backed the kickstarter, but you know how it is with game backlogs...) and I'm having a lot of fun, even though I'm terrible at rhythm games. The composer mode is a lot of fun to play around with, too.

• Locked thread