Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Eldercain posted:

sorry to get your hopes up but i'm not worth a whole lot tbh i'd probably be on sale at a flea market or thrift store or such as that

to me you're priceless :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Eldercain posted:

I don't mind doing another OP since the current OP doesn't post here. I have never done a followup thread though, do I :justpost: or ask a mod orrrr????

If you're actually doing this, thanks! I'm sure many people pop in and out infrequently of the thread like I do to check on stuff.

Games (?) you should add:

"self-contained" games: Paperclips, Spaceplan, ???

continuously developed: NGU, Evolve, ???

'newness': Idle Idlegame Dev (I haven't played it myself)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I have the assemble gene thing turned off and it only does it when the script is loaded. I've tried unticking every automatic thing but the only thing that stops it is disabling the script

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also elerium storage is some incredibly unfun bullshit

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Aurora posted:

also elerium storage is some incredibly unfun bullshit

There's a large storage space for it that's unlocked as one of the very last researches right now. It get's pretty good but boy does that start out slow where you are building labs to try and get more storage. After a few space runs I just never build labs at all, I probably should they have other useful properties.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

continuously developed: NGU, Evolve, ???

Trimps, Realm Grinder. RG has sucked for a while but Trimps is changing things up fairly regularly and just got a major new content patch yesterday.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
add Succubox to the "Idlers with an ending" list because it is amazing.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Godddddd why are there so many good ones

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
LET'S MAKE NUMBERS GO UP (now with a game that doesn't bullshit you with the name)

Idle games, or incremental games, are a loose genre of browser games in which the player is rewarded, usually with a gradual income of some resource, for leaving the game window open in the background without actually doing anything in it. Often these resources can be spent to buy items that make the resource come in faster, so you can buy more items, so you can get even more resource.

Some games, called Clickers, have a big button you can click to manually get more resources, but they are usually outpaced by your idle income very quickly or are very bad. Most idle games have either no graphics, ASCII art, or at most perhaps a few still images drawn up in Flash.

Why?

Because those numbers aren't going to make themselves go up. Well, okay, yes they well. But they need your help to go up faster.

Also it feels good to wake up in the morning or come home from work with 9 hours of income to spend.

The Current Hotness: NGU

Made by our very own poster something NGU (also available on kong's standalone platform kartridge where it runs better) is most of what the last thread has been about. The game is very long, has had very active development both at endgame and to smooth out the process of getting to it, and is generally both of the things it should be: very idle, and great at having something for you to do for a couple minutes when you sit down to it after you sleep/work/go on a bender for a weekend. You have a couple of resources that generate themselves, and then decide what to do with them to make numbers go up! It's the name of the game for God's sake! With tons of different features and an adventure mode that doesn't need micromanaging like clicker hero clones, it stays exciting without needing you to babysit it. There's active things to do in it too like challenges which help unlock automation and bonuses to the main game and while it needs more playtime early on you eventually only really need to come back to it once a day. It also features a premium currency that is 100% obtainable in game if you don't want to buy it, but if you want there are a lot of very good bundles so you can kick a little cash his way as 4g now makes his living developing this game.

There's a very active discord you can reach through the game and you should join if for nothing else than for goon chat which is fun and weird. Just ask something in a discord PM or here to be added to the goon group. If you bug him he'll also give you a special goon prize in game because he has a big ol Canadian heart. Special mention to other goon Musluk for most of the ridiculously good art in this one!

The fallen star: Realm Grinder

No image because the current UI is hard to look at

Realm Grinder takes the classic prestige mechanic (resetting the game with a bonus to future playthroughs) to the next level. Once you've earned enough gems with normal resets, you can reincarnate -- a meta-reset that sacrifices all the gems you earned from previous resets in exchange for a new, different bonus. Reincarnations certain other features, challenges, and progression systems, and the real progression in the game is measured in how many times you've reincarnated. Combined with the variety of different races you can ally with, this leads to quite a lot of variety and complexity in what at first appears to be a straightforward clicker. Unfortunately as the game has been developed they introduced a kind of monstrous UI that's far too busy and a lot of the late game now revolves around doing a HUGE amount of fiddling for almost no gains and involves a lot of just copy pasting builds and sitting on your hands for literal weeks.

Cool more recent finishable games

http://jhollands.co.uk/spaceplan/
http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html
https://danielyxie.github.io/bitburner/
http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/
http://www.glaielgames.com/succubox/

These games all have an actual end point, a nice little story, and gameplay that by the time it's over feels very satisfying. Bitburner is a bit of an outlier here because you actual write programs to do your idling for you, and may not be for everyone, but the rest are absolutely worth at least a look and most of them can be finished in a matter of a few days. They don't have a lot of discussion about them because of how quickly the thread churns through them but feel free to pipe up with questions! Most of us have played them, and there isn't much to say other that if dark room and candy box scratched that itch, these are what you want.

New and/or still in development games

https://luts91.github.io/idle-idle-gamedev/
https://pmotschmann.github.io/Evolve/
https://trimps.github.io/
https://ivark.github.io/

These are some of the heavy hitters of the genre. Idling to Rule the Gods has been around for a long, long time and you can find it out on steam, the rest are linked above. It's the inspiration for NGU, although NGU has refined the mechanics to be a lot more playable and has much better art. Evolve is the current Kittens Game clone that has some, but not all, of the kinks worked out from the formula of its predecessor and is undergoing a lot of development right now. Trimps has also been around for ages and still has a very active dev and recently had another huge mechanic added. I suggest installing autotrimps if you want to give this a shot as the early game is extremely tedious if not and as the runs get longer the micromanaging of it can become very repetitive. It has a very standard design of pushing and prestiging to push farther next time. Antimatter dimensions has all kinds of fun paradigm shifts as you kind of explode through infinities and galaxies and although the developer can't really keep up with endgame players very well it's very fun to get there. You will probably need some guidance from the web to push through some parts of it as some of the challenges in particular can be very difficult to get through, and the humor in this one is extremely questionable so don't play it for that.

I don't have any idea what idle idle game dev is about I don't play it but it seems to be the new thing goons are playing so click on it I guess?

Paradigm Shift Rabbit Holes

After a while people realized that making a single number go up by buying the most expensive building over and over eventually gets old. This generation of incremental games addressed that with a wide variety of different resources and a long chain of paradigm shifts that constantly alter which resource you're interested in and how you can most easily acquire it, which keeps the game from becoming stale for months.

Despite its haphazard interface and obtuse terminology, Sandcastle Builder is an excellent slow burn with a lot of neat intricacies and subsystems, such as a disguised Towers of Hanoi minigame to unlock a series of boosts. There's a thread about it somewhere in the archives that I'm the OP of and has a lot of good information, but :effort:. The guide out on the game's wiki was mostly lifted from this thread if you're really interested in some guidance. Mine Defense takes those strengths and combines them with a more palatable presentation, though it does require an autoclicker to finish some parts in a same timeframe. And if you don't mind the way it caps storage of certain resources, A Kittens Game is an accessable little Civ-builder with a wide variety of resources.

The Classics

The games that started the genre, Candy Box, its sequel, and A Dark Room have a lot of strengths that their successors never really followed up on. Though they do involve waiting for numbers to go up, this is downplayed compared to exploring the RPG system and open world map. They're quick and very good; even if you aren't really into idlers, check them out unless you hate ASCII graphics.

Goon Guilds

Most incremental games are single-player. But if you want to play with goons, you're looking for these.

Amaranthine, essentially a text-based idle MMO, is the current favorite, with its own thread dedicated to making sure goons remain dominant enough to be despised by pubbies. Before that there was Idle Online Universe, which was popular for a while but the guild halls are looking a bit empty now. And there's always Clicker Heroes, a fairly linear clicker, but bright and colorful and with a solid enough prestige mechanic that it was popular even before it became multiplayer.

Historical Relics

These are all notable for one reason or another, but I wouldn't recommend playing them.

Anti-Idle is the first example of the genre by several years, but which for one reason or another has mostly remained forgotten even as the genre's popularity boomed. Cookie Clicker popularized the genre, created the first prestige mechanic, and standardized the clicker formula of buying buildings to make income go up, but with no real paradigm shifts and no updates for years it was left behind. Adventure Capitalist is a poorly-balanced bland clicker notable only for being the first major game to allow progression even while offline, but some folks really enjoyed it so ymmv. And then there's Progress Quest, a parody of the genre before the genre even existed, in which the player has no input at all.

SHARK GAME

HELL YES IT'S THE GOON-MADE SHARK GAME THE ACTUAL BEST IDLE GAME

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
triple post to say: accepting ideas for title and any corrections, and will post this tonight as a new thread

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Spaceplan - also available on mobile and Steam
Paperclips
Bitburner
Bitcoin Mining Profit Calculator Gaiden
Succubox

Idle Idle Gamedev
Evolve
Trimps
Antimatter Dimensions

Here I fixed your links for you. OP looks good to me. Repeating what I posted in the Discord:

Idle Incremental Clickers 3: pay to not play

Also reminder to not forget to reserve a 2nd post just in case and to post the Table of Shame.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Not sure if its worth adding, but maybe something like "Not groundbreaking but good to spend a day or two" section?

Suggestions:

Groundhog Life

Press The Button

Time Clickers

Squid Ink

Idle Breakout

Religious Idle

Potatoz

The First Alkahistorian

Also, mobile idlers!

Although those are often very disrespectful of either your time or wallet, sometimes both.

From what I've played and didn't bother me much:

Adventure Communist

AFK Arena

Almost a Hero

Egg Inc.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

still wishing you could let us change our ingame ngu name btw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cookie Clicker is getting updates, it's just none of them really change anything about the game.

To add to decent mobile idlers: Armory & Machine and Clickpocalypse II are both good, and although the former offers a prestige mechanic it just speeds the game up a little if you want to play it again so it might as well be a 'finishable' game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Thanks to fishing through Kongregate for those games I discovered there is a Crush Crush BL spin-off called Blush Blush so that might be fun

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eldercain posted:

triple post to say: accepting ideas for title and any corrections, and will post this tonight as a new thread

can you put the name of the game as a clickable link? more helpful than some inscrutable URL.

also for New and/or still in development games you have 5 screenshots and 4 links

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't see structure in any of those lists which is absolutely criminal

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any new hotness on mobile that can go in the OP? I've been looking for a new one to get hooked on but nothing doing. I just reinstalled Idle Apocalypse to see what's up with that game and it turns out they didn't have cloud saves so I'd have to start over. Eh.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

Any new hotness on mobile that can go in the OP? I've been looking for a new one to get hooked on but nothing doing. I just reinstalled Idle Apocalypse to see what's up with that game and it turns out they didn't have cloud saves so I'd have to start over. Eh.

There's been an influx of talk in the Android thread about AFK Arena but I haven't looked at it

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Lone Goat posted:

can you put the name of the game as a clickable link? more helpful than some inscrutable URL.

also for New and/or still in development games you have 5 screenshots and 4 links

i don't think itrtg has a web thing anymore? that's the one that's not there since it's out on steam

the other suggestions i'll try to get in there and the mobile stuff i'm not sure about yet? none of them really stuck but I suppose i could mention them but ya'll this is some WORK

e: notes to myself there's a typo to fix
CH2 needs mentioning
table of shame

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xtanstic posted:

There's been an influx of talk in the Android thread about AFK Arena but I haven't looked at it

Tried it, too much gatcha, not enough idler sadly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xtanstic posted:

It's been advertised really hard in several games I play which is why I haven't looked at it as the only reason you spend as much money as they obviously have on advertising is because you have an aggressive monetisation strategy.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Not sure if its worth adding, but maybe something like "Not groundbreaking but good to spend a day or two" section?

Suggestions:

Groundhog Life

Press The Button

Time Clickers

Squid Ink

Idle Breakout

Religious Idle

Potatoz

The First Alkahistorian

Also, mobile idlers!

Although those are often very disrespectful of either your time or wallet, sometimes both.

From what I've played and didn't bother me much:

Adventure Communist

AFK Arena

Almost a Hero

Egg Inc.

Oh nice I forgot about Potatoz. I liked it. Hit the sweet spot that Paperclips hit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ghostlight posted:

It's been advertised really hard in several games I play which is why I haven't looked at it as the only reason you spend as much money as they obviously have on advertising is because you have an aggressive monetisation strategy.

I'll say it is better than the ads would let on but I hit a ceiling after a week and dropped it. The only reason why AFK is in the name is because you gain resources while not playing. Other than that it's a pretty standard gatcha team based RPG combat thing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eldercain posted:

i don't think itrtg has a web thing anymore? that's the one that's not there since it's out on steam

then link the steam page. what's the point of including a screenshot with no words to tell people what it is?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Territory Idle is ... okay? Not stellar, but not the worst.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Posting for the NGU goon discord, don't mind me

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Jade Rider posted:

Posting for the NGU goon discord, don't mind me

:same:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
ok go post over here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895630

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

NGUidle:

My PC poo poo the bed and I had to reformat it. I redownloaded kartridge but it can't find a cloud save for me even though that was working just fine before I reformatted? I tried my kongregate account and it has a cloud save but it's 120 days old, probably from the last time I played in the web browser.

Any ideas?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

One that popped to mind is the mobile Bitcoin Billionnaire for Android and iPhone.

And there was that game that started with mining, and had constant paradigm shifts? Can't remember the name, and it's probably been posted here already.

Idle Wizard

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Merijn posted:

And there was that game that started with mining, and had constant paradigm shifts? Can't remember the name, and it's probably been posted here already.

Mine Defense is probably the one you're thinking of. Really do want a remake of it designed around not having to use an autoclicker.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

NGUidle:

My PC poo poo the bed and I had to reformat it. I redownloaded kartridge but it can't find a cloud save for me even though that was working just fine before I reformatted? I tried my kongregate account and it has a cloud save but it's 120 days old, probably from the last time I played in the web browser.

Any ideas?

kart doesn't have cloud saves unfortunately :C

think you're stuck with that save you got.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oh hey look a new thread

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Rynoto posted:

Mine Defense is probably the one you're thinking of. Really do want a remake of it designed around not having to use an autoclicker.

It doesn’t need an autoclicker; im not sure why that myth keeps propagating.
It was kinda rough when the game was new but that got fixed quickly.

I have played through the game 3 times

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

It doesn’t need an autoclicker; im not sure why that myth keeps propagating.
It was kinda rough when the game was new but that got fixed quickly.

I have played through the game 3 times

I haven't played it in ages so maybe this particular issue did get fixed, but at some point you needed thousands of those level 1 gems to combine them into better ones, which an autoclicker got easily within like 5 minutes. Doing it by idling would have taken hours at that point.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

GrossMurpel posted:

I haven't played it in ages so maybe this particular issue did get fixed, but at some point you needed thousands of those level 1 gems to combine them into better ones, which an autoclicker got easily within like 5 minutes. Doing it by idling would have taken hours at that point.

Pretty much this. The gem upgrades to picks were way more significant than other sources. It's not a huge issue if you know how to write a setinterval() but if you don't there's plenty of people who do

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

something posted:

kart doesn't have cloud saves unfortunately :C

think you're stuck with that save you got.

Welp, I quit.

That was fun though, shame.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a rule of thumb for when to rebirth in Evolve? Is it just waiting until further upgrades/new technology tiers will take a prohibitively long time to grind up to?

Edit: Whoops, I'm a dumbass- ignore the zombie, go read the good new thread instead!

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

someone close this thread