Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
In 1000 years, all of us will be forgotten except for Bill Paxton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Benne posted:

Bill Paxton has had an odd career arc. For a guy who's been in a ton of high-profile movies he's never really registered as a megastar, but you've definitely seen him in movies and you definitely remember his parts in them. I guess he's like the less nerdy Jeff Goldblum, in that respect.

Jeff Goldblum has had unlikely leading roles in some very financially successful movies, though. I would say that Bill Paxton's career is more like a John Goodman.

Twister is a ridiculous movie and the first time I saw it was in a cheapo $2 cinema with a full crowd of drunk college kids cheering along with the film. They booed Cary Elwes every time he was onscreen and they also booed the tornadoes, if you can believe that. It's quite a silly movie, and the part that always gets me the most is the scene when the storm chasers are all around the dinner table. They're lively chatting all about T3 and T4 tornadoes, but the second Bill Paxton's wife asks about a T5, everybody just fall silent, then the preacher dude solemnly goes, "the finger of God." This is hilarious to me because you have to imagine every single conversation with these scientists is just them going pale with dread at even the mention of a T5 instead of, I dunno, rationally saying "well it's the most powerful kind of tornado there is." Like this can't have been the only time it's ever been brought up previously, they must talk about this stuff all the time! It's just a completely absurd part of the script that cracks me up whenever I see it on TV.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
They should do it like in Harry Potter. Instead of "You know who," when refering to Voldemort they would refer to the F-5 as... I don't know... "Well there's F1, F2, F3... that's the mid-range one... F4... and then... the F-you-know-what." Like if they say its name they will attract its attention.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

exquisite tea posted:

Jeff Goldblum has had unlikely leading roles in some very financially successful movies, though. I would say that Bill Paxton's career is more like a John Goodman.

Twister is a ridiculous movie and the first time I saw it was in a cheapo $2 cinema with a full crowd of drunk college kids cheering along with the film. They booed Cary Elwes every time he was onscreen and they also booed the tornadoes, if you can believe that. It's quite a silly movie, and the part that always gets me the most is the scene when the storm chasers are all around the dinner table. They're lively chatting all about T3 and T4 tornadoes, but the second Bill Paxton's wife asks about a T5, everybody just fall silent, then the preacher dude solemnly goes, "the finger of God." This is hilarious to me because you have to imagine every single conversation with these scientists is just them going pale with dread at even the mention of a T5 instead of, I dunno, rationally saying "well it's the most powerful kind of tornado there is." Like this can't have been the only time it's ever been brought up previously, they must talk about this stuff all the time! It's just a completely absurd part of the script that cracks me up whenever I see it on TV.

First, the idea of someone booing tornados is loving hilarious to me, so thank you.

And the reason they got all quiet was because the F5 killed Helen Hunt's parents back in the day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I know that's the implication, I just think it's ridiculous that a group of scientists can't talk about the mundane occurence of a thing they study for a living without becoming super somber all of a sudden. Like imagine if your doctor could only speak in hushed whispers about head colds because his friend's aunt died of pneumonia twenty years ago.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
F-f-f-f-f-f-f-fOOD

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Echoing that Philip Seymour Hoffman is great in his role in this one.

"He's gonna rue the day he went up against The Extreme! I'm talkin' imminent rueage!"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Basebf555 posted:

No you were absolutely right as a kid, the movie treats the F-5 as the villain/monster of the story. Helen Hunt's character has been haunted by her last encounter with one, and they treat the new F-5 as if its like the same tornado coming back to finish the job. It plays almost like a revenge story.

Plus the almost sentient "She's shifting!" where it shifts to eat up the evil corporate dudes and then after they send Praxton's truck into it it shifts to come directly for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don't know why, but I always thought is was pretty :krad: to see The Shining playing at the drive-in and to see the screen start to rip apart just as Jack starts axing the door, only for it to completely disintegrate the moment Jack says "HERE'S JOHNNY!"

• Locked thread