Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Dallas Stars did not get a new goaltender, and are still trotting out the "We're fine starting the season with this tandem" line

Please insert a knife into my throat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DOOMocrat posted:

The Dallas Stars did not get a new goaltender, and are still trotting out the "We're fine starting the season with this tandem" line

I wanna see the stars add another 5m dollar goaltender and run a 3 goalie system

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

Too early on this.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

DOOMocrat posted:

stars will somehow trade for rinne without giving up their other two goalies and run some sort of finnish goalie cerberus

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I understand they are trying not to tank value etc etc but that doesn't make me feel any better

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ryan Miller could be available...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Hey Jordan, I was at my parent's house tonight, and I guess I am missing a bunch of Draft Previews. I have 2006, and then everything past 2009. Still interested in me posting lists?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep!

I think a guy in one of my hockey pools is gonna be able to help me fill in the blanks for a lot of those years, but if you've got access to the lists I'd appreciate it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This is THN's 2006 list with a comment taken from their profiles without context for some of the players. Their biggest miss was putting Nigel Williams 11th, when he went 51st overall.

1. Erik Johnson (the type of player you can build a team around)
2. Phil Kessel (Mold of Jeremy Roenick [...] can't get by on talent alone)
3. Jonathan Toews ("There's nothing I don't like about him," said one scout)
4. Jordan Staal (As for downside, there isn't much that will steer people away)
5. Nicklas Backstrom (Often mentioned in the same breath as Peter Forsberg)
6. Peter Mueller
7. Derick Brassard (Brassard could develop into 40-goal scorer in the NHL because of his speed and accurate shot)
8. Jiri Tlusty ("Tlusty is all 7s," said a scout)
9. Bryan Little
10. Kyle Okposo
11. Nigel Williams (Williams has drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger, but let's not get carried away)
12. Michael Frolik
13. James Sheppard
14. Chris Stewart
15. Bob Sanguinetti (Sanguinetti could develop into a No. 2 or No. 3 defenseman)
16. Ty Wishart (There's nothing fancy here, but Wishart is as dependable as a Maytag washing machine)
17. Jonathan Bernier ("The downside is he lets in the occasional soft goal")
18. Ryan White (Ryan White will never put up big numbers in the NHL, but he's the type of player every team needs to win)
19. Patrik Berglund (excites scouts by having no blatant flaws in his game)
20. Mark Mitera
21. Ben Maxwell
22. Cory Emmerton
23. Chris Summers
24. Mike Forney
25. David Fischer
26. Ivan Vishnevsky
27. Joe Ryan
28. Alexander Vasyunov
29. Michael Grabner
30. Ondrej Fiala

I have literally no idea who, like, a 1/3rd of these names are. Claude Giroux, who went 22nd overall, was ranked 60th.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Wonder how dominant the Pens would have been with Toews. It's fun to ponder but at the same time if they took him he probably ends up playing wing, or Malkin does, and who knows what that changes. Seems like Erik Johnson was on track to be pretty dominant too until he fell off the golf cart or whatever. He's still a good player even now but he looked like a real good one early on.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Wonder how dominant the Pens would have been with Toews. It's fun to ponder but at the same time if they took him he probably ends up playing wing, or Malkin does, and who knows what that changes. Seems like Erik Johnson was on track to be pretty dominant too until he fell off the golf cart or whatever. He's still a good player even now but he looked like a real good one early on.

It would have been interesting when it came time to sign the Big 3. Do you keep all 3 at the expense of another player? Which player would you trade? I guess Chicago has found a way, even if it meant giving Hossa a ridiculous contract.

Johnson had a very good rookie year. iirc, he even looked when he came back after missing a year. He's still good, but he's never developed, exactly, into the guy we all expected him to develop into.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Twin Cinema posted:

This is THN's 2006 list with a comment taken from their profiles without context for some of the players. Their biggest miss was putting Nigel Williams 11th, when he went 51st overall.

6. Peter Mueller
7. Derick Brassard (Brassard could develop into 40-goal scorer in the NHL because of his speed and accurate shot)
9. Bryan Little
10. Kyle Okposo
11. Nigel Williams (Williams has drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger, but let's not get carried away)
12. Michael Frolik
13. James Sheppard
14. Chris Stewart
15. Bob Sanguinetti (Sanguinetti could develop into a No. 2 or No. 3 defenseman)
16. Ty Wishart (There's nothing fancy here, but Wishart is as dependable as a Maytag washing machine)
18. Ryan White (Ryan White will never put up big numbers in the NHL, but he's the type of player every team needs to win)
20. Mark Mitera
21. Ben Maxwell
22. Cory Emmerton
23. Chris Summers
24. Mike Forney
25. David Fischer
26. Ivan Vishnevsky
27. Joe Ryan
28. Alexander Vasyunov
29. Michael Grabner
30. Ondrej Fiala

I have literally no idea who, like, a 1/3rd of these names are. Claude Giroux, who went 22nd overall, was ranked 60th.

Ryan White: about 42 players better than noted Worst Captain Ever Claude Giroux

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

Nigel Williams, a bad hockey player, who the rangers traded to the ducks for Stu Bickel, a bad hockey player

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Twin Cinema posted:

6. Peter Mueller
9. Bryan Little
10. Kyle Okposo
12. Michael Frolik
13. James Sheppard
14. Chris Stewart
20. Mark Mitera
21. Ben Maxwell
22. Cory Emmerton
23. Chris Summers
24. Mike Forney
25. David Fischer
26. Ivan Vishnevsky
27. Joe Ryan
28. Alexander Vasyunov
29. Michael Grabner
30. Ondrej Fiala

vasyunov, im sorry we had too much winger depth :negative:

gently caress your poo poo transportation, russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Twin Cinema posted:

6. Peter Mueller
9. Bryan Little
10. Kyle Okposo
12. Michael Frolik
13. James Sheppard
14. Chris Stewart
20. Mark Mitera
21. Ben Maxwell
22. Cory Emmerton
23. Chris Summers
24. Mike Forney
25. David Fischer
26. Ivan Vishnevsky
27. Joe Ryan
28. Alexander Vasyunov
29. Michael Grabner
30. Ondrej Fiala

Mitera was the last high end pick the Ducks had that was a true bust but looking at that list - woosh there were a lot of busts

• Locked thread