Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
We've been delving into feminism recently in my Philosophy course, and I find the history/development behind it incredibly interesting, but it seems like there's a big focus on American/European feminists than anything. I'm really curious as to how feminism in Western culture differs from feminism in others, and I'm all ears for any information or recommended reading from non-Western feminists. I've read a little Adiche, but my knowledge outside of that is sorely lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have to say, I think this is an intriguing idea for a thread and I'm curious to see where it goes. Judging from the rapid development of your post history in two days, I think the answer is almost certainly straight into the ground, but you never know. If you want some advice, I would recommend slowing it down and getting a feel for the forums before going nuts posting.

You mention Adiche but say nothing beyond the name. Some elaboration might help get the ball rolling - provide context and a foundation for discussion.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Sorry for not specifying! I was referring to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a Nigerian feminist and author know for her novel, "Americanah,” and her feminist essay, “We Should All Be Feminists.”

And thank you for the advice re: my posting habits. I'll definitely take some more time to get acclimated before getting carried away.

HighwireAct fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 17, 2016

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HighwireAct posted:

Sorry for not specifying! I was referring to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a Nigerianian feminist and author know for her novel, "Americanah,” and her feminist essay, “We Should All Be Feminists.”

And thank you for the advice re: my posting habits. I'll definitely take some more time to get acclimated before getting carried away.

OK. I gathered the above information from about 2 seconds of double clicking, a right click, and selecting the "search google" option. Presumably reading her novel and essay provided some insight into her ideas. I could watch this 30 minute speech on Youtube, but there's a nearly infinite number of valuable things I could read, watch, or listen to online. You clearly were inspired to discuss this topic. Was there any reason to this? Some exposition, perhaps? Some idea in this philosophy course that intrigued you? Enlighten us on the difference between the eurocentric feminism everyone is focused on and what you want to explore.

You have a worthy premise here, but your post could best be described as a no-content shitpost. Step up your game, dude. If you want to talk about ideas, then explain. Don't just say "here's a thing I'm intrigued by - discuss." That's stupid bullshit. Put some effort into what you say and think, don't expect anyone else to engage with you if you can't even be bothered.

Edit: Seriously, man, look at the threads surrounding yours. Military history, hitchhiking, car buying, etc. Take note of the differences between your opening post and theirs.

Oh lord. Final friendly word of advice. Each subforum has its own rules and culture. There are a few garbage subforums filled with effluvium. If you post in "byob" style in almost any other subforum, for example, you will quickly find yourself without an account. This is what I mean when I say take a moment to acclimatize. It isn't a threat - I certainly am not enforcing anything or whatever. Just a word of advice.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 17, 2016

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
You're absolutely right. I'll spend some time putting together more substantial.

• Locked thread