Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I posted this because I wanted input on some of the cars I am looking at and also to see if I overlooked something. Most of the stuff here has been entertaining/useful.

I'll post drive reports with updates on what I look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I feel like the 3.0R outbacks are probably a good option. They're not fast, but they're not slow either, they're reliable as hell and you can have some fun with them on gravel roads and the like which you probably wouldn't want to risk with the 330i. There's also the sedan option if the wagons don't float your boat, but they're harder to find. You could also get the legacy with the 3.0R but, like the outbacks, auto only unfortunately. I don't know how difficult a manual swap on the 3.0R is.

The auto-only thing drove me away from the 3.0R when I got my Outback. The 2.5 was entirely driveable, but unfortunately slow whenever you asked it for any favors.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

This is pretty much why recommendation threads were banned, eventually the OP will be completely ignored and people will be posting pics of Miatas and Hayabusas.

Well, moreso that 99% of the recommendations really boil down to "get a loving Prius" and "NO DON'T BUY A SALVAGE TITLE YOU loving IDIOT".

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I have a 2004 Lexus IS300 (manual transmission, SportDesign II package) and I like it a lot.

It's reliable and fun to drive -- the manual SportDesign has the Euro suspension which is a little tighter than the base IS.

The previous owner ditched it when the first big maintenance interval came which required a timing belt / water pump / cam seals / brake job which took the wind out of me, but that's expected.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pretend I posted a really small low-res pic of a Buick.

Seriously though I think most options available to you have been posted, no FWD or transverse engines rules out so many perfectly capable cars. I understand wanting to drop the E46, I did the same when mine started to require big repair bills at 200k miles.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's important to remember I'm not the sole decision maker in this process. My wife wonders at the next giant repair bill for the BMW, because this one is clocking in at about a thousand dollars as valve covers cost $330 and that means a 50 something gasket kit plus diagnosis plus a cam position sensor (already done). Apparently the valve cover decided to crack, and there might be something wrong with the DISA. Wooo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah dude, my decision to get a Lexus was pretty much everything to do with reliability, if a Merc or BMW had a better track record (lol) that's what we would have ended up with. We were considering a 3 series wagon but I just couldn't get past how the reliability goes downhill fast after 100k miles, because that was right around the mileage we could afford. With the Lexus at 90k when I bought it, I know it's gonna be good for another 100k easy. It will need a timing belt but it's an easy job, everything else that wears out over time (brakes and suspension) is easy and cheap with the exception of control arms that can be pricey, but I'm willing to take the relatively minor hit if those decide to go.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If not a lexus, seriously consider a vq35/37 infiniti (probably rwd over awd).
The g35/37 has a manual option and the non-1st gen are surprisingly big.
The m35 has no auto option in the US, but drives really really nice. They are extremely comfortablr places to be and quite a bit bigger inside that the rest of the class. The awd has hilariously expensive shocks and there is no aftermarket suspension options for the awd. I suspect a manual drop into a v6 rwd one wouldn't be that hard and I suspect it was an option elsewhete.
They're all pretty simple cars, the electricals are pretty decent and the vq is well known enough that anyone can work on onr. My dad is pushing 200k mi on his 06 m35x with just maintence.

Edit: there is also a kit to swap a manual in certian lexus LS car too.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Trip Reports:
Wife has vetoed all non-wagony options. "We've got 2 dogs and we're working on babies." Solid reasoning.

CTS Wagon (3.0 RWD)
Liked:
Interior was really nice, but It's a luxury car
Good passenger space. Wife could sit comfortably behind me (She's just shy of 6' and I'm 6' 3")
Chassis seemed very composed. Would be amazing for road trips. Fantastic body control. Agility belied it's own size.
Excellent steering despite super cheap poo poo tires someone traded it in with.
Very good seats

Meh:
Transmission. Responsive, but no character. Made sense for the car I guess?

Disliked:
Car felt like it lacked power. It accelerated quickly but it was too quiet? I think that after driving 2 very responsive manual cars I was expecting more.
Couldn't really push the car (see tires)
Cargo space was very lacking for the car's size. The aggressively sloping glass would have made puppy positioning a crapshoot.

Outback 3.6R 2014? IDK latest gen.
Liked:
Spaaaaaaace. Roomier than the CTS from every standpoint.
A real, legit cargo area. Luggage and puppies at the same time!
Powertrain had great character. It was much more eager to accelerate. Would sound awesome with an intake and exhaust.
Felt lighter under braking than the CTS
Felt faster than the CTS

Meh:
Fancypants interiors don't really matter much to me. Seemed to do the job well enough, fake wood is dumb.
Suspension is ok.
Louder than CTS, but this is fine.
Automatic is decent. As an auto the CTS is a better transmission but a longer term project is going to be fooling the ECU on either car that the auto is still there while a manual takes it's place.

Disliked:
Pointless ride height
Giant sidewalls
Sticker shock

Left to drive:
3.0 Outback
?????

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Welp CTS V wagon it is. I support this decision.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Look into the Acura TSX wagon, the CTS has horrible reliability ratings, I considered one and ruled it out pretty quick.

http://longtermqualityindex.com/vehicles/Cadillac_CTS.html

The Acura is rated very high however.

http://longtermqualityindex.com/vehicles/Acura_TSX.html

Would have got one but they were out of our price range.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 3, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Anything but that gen of cts wagon. They are prone to there trans coolers making GBS threads the bed. Which leads to a very expensive repair.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I would say outback over cts wagon. I would be afraid of dogs ruining the interior of the cts wagon.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Who cross shops caddies and subies? Get the subie and some indigo girls Cds

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

everdave posted:

We do, because wagon.

In all seriousness we both loved the Outback. I'll be shopping for a less expensive sample. If I can hold off for a bit by getting the BMW interior, shifter bits sorted and the 240sx mobile I can save pennies for the Outback.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

everdave posted:

I cross shop Subies and Commodores - that's basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I suspect really old lesbians cross shop those brands.

• Locked thread