Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Immortan posted:

Is his new movie any good?

It's okay. He basically goes to various countries such as Denmark, Italy, and Tunisia, and cherry picks the absolute best aspects of their society. Denmark's rehabilitation prisons, Italy's vacation days, and Tunisia's accessible abortion clinics. None of it is technically dishonest, though much of it is disingenuous as it assumes that we can simply take their system and plop it up here. Though to be fair when they went to Portugal the main guy they interviewed said as such. However, if one looks at the film and takes away "these people properly use the strengths and resources of their country to get such lavish benefits, why can't America?" then it is a reasonably good documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Vastarien posted:

I always get Roger & Me confused with Mac and Me.

I always thought it was a remake of Harvey, with the invisible rabbit.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Remember when Michael Moore had his own subforum

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

fyodor posted:

The part with the rabbits. :smith:

In either The Big One or Bowling For Columbine he talks about that and how he got a lot of negative feedback for showing it, but absolutely no reaction to the footage of the black guy dressed as Superman being shot to death in the same movie. I was like "hey, yeah," but uh that conversation somehow turned into an argument about hashtags and protests slowing down traffic so I'll leave it there. (I don't care enough about human beings being thoughtlessly accepted as deserving of being gunned to death to stake my posting reputation on it.)

The Big One is pretty good. It's like if Roger & Me was fun instead of depressing, and wasn't quite at the "Mr Heston I have come to your home under false pretenses to talk to you about this dead child for which you, the NRA man, are responsible for. How can you walk away from me have you no heart?" level he reached in Columbine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kevyn posted:

Remember when Michael Moore had his own subforum

Wow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I love the scene in Canadian Bacon where they're flipping through a slideshow of supervillains former enemies of the US, and Rip Torn is intoning "dead... dead... dead... also dead. he's still alive! ...but making license plates in Florida."

Cubone posted:

In either The Big One or Bowling For Columbine he talks about that and how he got a lot of negative feedback for showing it, but absolutely no reaction to the footage of the black guy dressed as Superman being shot to death in the same movie. I was like "hey, yeah," but uh that conversation somehow turned into an argument about hashtags and protests slowing down traffic so I'll leave it there. (I don't care enough about human beings being thoughtlessly accepted as deserving of being gunned to death to stake my posting reputation on it.)

The Big One is pretty good. It's like if Roger & Me was fun instead of depressing, and wasn't quite at the "Mr Heston I have come to your home under false pretenses to talk to you about this dead child for which you, the NRA man, are responsible for. How can you walk away from me have you no heart?" level he reached in Columbine.

Bowling for Columbine had some out-there conclusions. Didn't he suggest that because the government rolled missiles through the town at night, that this was somehow inspiring notions of violence among kids? Or something like that? Even though it came out in 2002 it feels like the pinnacle of the 90s-era hand-wringing over poo poo like ~explicit lyrics~ and TV v-chips and ~violent video games~.

Gun control is kind of a gigantic blind spot for American lefties and liberals anyway because most of them cannot bring themselves to just take a big breath and declare that maybe (just maybe!) the ~*~Founding Fathers~*~ made some mistakes, and maybe the Second Amendment was one of them. All the dancing around "well but you see well-regulated actually means..." or "heh George Washington would have never wanted some SLOB to have an ASSAULT RIFLE!!" are just a series of obviously bad-faith arguments that are an utterly futile attempt at shifting the national culture. I have way more respect for an argument along the lines of "this facet of the ~American experiment~ is a failure, we should straight-up repeal the Second Amendment and institute a mandatory buyback" than for something like "well, if only we had stronger background checks... or guns that only shoot if they know it's you..."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vastarien posted:

I always get Roger & Me confused with Mac and Me.

One is about grotesque people who are obsessed with McDonalds.

The other is about a cool alien.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Gun control is kind of a gigantic blind spot for American lefties and liberals anyway because most of them cannot bring themselves to just take a big breath and declare that maybe (just maybe!) the ~*~Founding Fathers~*~ made some mistakes, and maybe the Second Amendment was one of them. All the dancing around "well but you see well-regulated actually means..." or "heh George Washington would have never wanted some SLOB to have an ASSAULT RIFLE!!" are just a series of obviously bad-faith arguments that are an utterly futile attempt at shifting the national culture. I have way more respect for an argument along the lines of "this facet of the ~American experiment~ is a failure, we should straight-up repeal the Second Amendment and institute a mandatory buyback" than for something like "well, if only we had stronger background checks... or guns that only shoot if they know it's you..."

Good luck ammending the constitution when most years the US seems to have trouble passing a simple budget.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

i agree, they should repeal some other rights as well while they're at it imo

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

batebro posted:

Speaking [out my rear end ]:

Yeah, decades of retarded blockades tend to do that to a country—even if that country has the highest ratio of physicians (per 100 000 people) in the world. Medical supplies are hard to come by when a large percent of the world won't trade with you. (And,maybe, it's hard to justify parting with them in order to tend to some entitled, rich foreigner). Lol, "poor doctors"

tl;dr you're a horse's rear end

Back on target:

I like Moore's work. His work is not objective, but I can't name a filmmaker who is. It's pretty clear he has an agenda, but I wouldn't say he's guilty of stretching the truth as much as Fox News or whatever is.

Roger & Me was pretty dope. I liked The Awful Truth too, if only for Pistol Pete!

Captain Splashback fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 20, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Stupid White Men was a pretty entertaining book by him. One of the more interesting parts was learning back in the day that airline pilots were actually paid extremely poorly, especially if you didn't work for a major airline. It got to the point that some of these guys would qualify (and use) food stamps because their income was so low at the time. Of course this made the airline look bad, so they took the most logical approach to rectify the situation:

They fired anybody who was collecting food stamps while working for the airline. :downs:

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
If there's one thing this country needs it's more fat assholes bitching incessantly.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Bitchin can only occupy the foodhole for so long

naem
May 29, 2011

I ate a bunny

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Serviette posted:

Yeah, decades of retarded blockades tend to do that to a country—even if that country has the highest ratio of physicians (per 100 000 people) in the world. Medical supplies are hard to come by when a large percent of the world won't trade with you. (And,maybe, it's hard to justify parting with them in order to tend to some entitled, rich foreigner). Lol, "poor doctors"

tl;dr you're a horse's rear end

Back on target:

I like Moore's work. His work is not objective, but I can't name a filmmaker who is. It's pretty clear he has an agenda, but I wouldn't say he's guilty of stretching the truth as much as Fox News or whatever is.

Roger & Me was pretty dope. I liked The Awful Truth too, if only for Pistol Pete!

On the other hand, AFAIK the embargo was pretty much a USA-only thing. In fact, Canadian law specifically makes it illegal for Canadians or Canadian companies to honor the embargo, if memory serves.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Did anybody make a "Rodgerin' Me" joke yet?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
The only Michael Moore film worth watching is Sicko.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

guns are regulated no matter what. it'ts just a mater of whether legislatures get to do it (by passing gun laws) or judges (by determining what is and is not meant by "arms"). i can understand the judiciary wanting to keep most of the regulatory power to themselves.

that's what mandatory sentencing is all about too. its just a power struggle between two branches of government producing policy as a byproduct, as the founders intended

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Whole Internet posted:

And had it been any other Caribbean country, your friend might actually be dead. The point is not that Cuba's healthcare is better than a vastly wealthier nation's it's that it's much better than other countries with similarly poor economies.
Can confirm; I lived in Trinidad as a kid and we brought in a bunch of Cuban doctors and nurses to try and fix our medical system.

Of course they could hardly do anything because the hospitals were even more out of date and poorly provisioned than the ones in their home country!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cubone posted:

In either The Big One or Bowling For Columbine he talks about that and how he got a lot of negative feedback for showing it, but absolutely no reaction to the footage of the black guy dressed as Superman being shot to death in the same movie.

I saw it in my late teens, and that scene always stuck with me. His early stuff is less about trying to politicize and more about finding a way between documentaries and neo-realistic cinema, imho (in a way History of Violence is a more surrealist take on the same approach)

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Immortan posted:

The only Michael Moore film worth watching is Sicko.

I like the one about how Bush did 9/11

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NihilismNow posted:

Good luck ammending the constitution when most years the US seems to have trouble passing a simple budget.

I sincerely agree that American society and government is severely dysfunctional.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I forgot about this gem from Canadian Bacon too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDGkQiwh_qg

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Bowling for Columbine had some out-there conclusions. Didn't he suggest that because the government rolled missiles through the town at night, that this was somehow inspiring notions of violence among kids? Or something like that? Even though it came out in 2002 it feels like the pinnacle of the 90s-era hand-wringing over poo poo like ~explicit lyrics~ and TV v-chips and ~violent video games~.

That's pretty obtuse.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's been a while since I watched Bowling for Colombine, but I think his point was that it's not just levels of gun ownership which cause such incidents in America, because countries such as Canada have similar levels per capita - with significantly less gun violence.

It wasn't just that missiles rolled through the town, it was that Colombine's largest employer was a military defence factory that manufactured missiles.

I think he was saying that murderous violence permeates American history, and society, from the top to the bottom and that to understand why incidents such as Colombine happen, it's important to acknowledge and address the violence and militarism of the American state. Gun ownership in and of itself is not the problem.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Pretty much that. It was a good movie :shrug:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Serviette posted:

This. Roger & me was a good movie but moore has kind of made a mockery of himself by stretching the truth so much in his other movies and clearly having an agenda in his work. He's obviously good at what he does but he's alienated a lot of people who might agree with some his positions because of his sketchy track record.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Best bit in Sicko is the guy at the start who had to pick which of the fingers to have stitched back on, because he couldn't afford to have all of them.

Anywhere else in the world, gently caress it lets do all the fingers for the poor bastard its only an hour extra of sugery, but not in the US lol.

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm the horrible grinding poverty and despair "lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Kevyn posted:

I like the one about how Bush did 9/11

I like how conservatives were shocked, SHOCKED that Michael Moore accused Ammurcan Hero Soldiers of behaving dishonourably, in the movie he released like a month after the Abu Ghraib war crimes were exposed.

• Locked thread