Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Welcome to the Marvel Playstation Network Megathread, where we can watch, each week, the one new series coming to everyone's favourite streaming service! All of this series will not be considered in-canon to the MCU (that's Marvel Cinematic Universe to those of you who've been living in a cave the last 5 or 6 years), so don't get your hopes up about them showing up in future films. Although it seems more likely than some sort of Agents of SHIELD crossover.

So what is this series?

Season 1 thread

Season 2 is due to start on May 31st, this thread will contain spoilers from Season 1.

It is a show set in a world where people have powers.

This man used to be one of the people with powers, but after losing his powers he has become a policeman in the powers division which polices people with powers.

Here he is posing with his partner.

This was a girl who the powers police were trying to question in season 1 about a series of power related murders. She seems to be significant in season 2.

Hey look, Michael Madsen will be in season 2, that's pretty cool.

Season 2 trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Powers is a show about ‘powers,’ or superpowered individuals, but in the lens of the law. Think The Wire, but with flying and laser eyes and poo poo.

Justice Leak as Kutter

This guy is a cop. He’s in every episode. I really don’t remember him being in any way integral, but he’s got top billing on IMDB so here he is. Also, he’s the only on-screen to be credited for 15 episodes as of now, beating out Sharlto Copley’s meager 14.

Sharlto Copley as Christian

Christian Walker used to be a flyer, with all the best super powers and girls and a smile that melted knees like butter. Then Wolfe stole his powers, he became a cop, and then he killed Wolfe and maybe got his powers back?

Susan Heyward as Deena Pilgrim

She’s a cop and Christian’s partner. She has no powers, but her dad was a real good cop and all the other cops have mad respect for cop dad. You’d think there’d be more to say about her.

Noah Taylor as Teleporting Cigarette Smoking Man with a Heart of Gold

Teleporting Cigarette Smoking Man with a Heart of Gold was Christian’s high school buddy and they got trained by Wolfe together. Now, they’re kinda on opposite sides of both the class structure and the law cause he’s rich and kinda a mafioso guy. His power is teleportation, and he’s trying to defend this Calista girl cause they all know she has powers (she didn’t die when she took the drug made from Wolfe’s blood but no actual powers have manifested yet. Just people die when they take that drug if they’re regular people.)

Oleysa Rulin as Calista thatgirl

She took the drug that enhances powers and kills regular people and she didn’t die but she didn’t notice any powers either. Teleporting Cigarette Smoking Man with a Heart of Gold, Retro Girl, and Christian all take in and protect this girl acting as role models as different points, but it seemed like Wolfe is the one that really got a seed planted (not sex she’s like a teen n stuff but you know an idea in her head).

Jeremy Clarkson(Top Gear) as Wolfe (deceased)

Jeremy Clarkson’s character died at the end of last season, likely written off because they knew he’d be busy with Not Top Gear and hate crimes. His blood is the street drug for powers. His power was to steal other people’s powers, and he like ate them n stuff.

Michelle Forbes as Retro Girl

Retro Girl is hot poo poo. She is like a female Captain Amazing from Mystery Men, but not funny and no secret identity. She acts as retro girl 24/7. I think her powers are flight and like superstrength but it seems like everyone but ole TCSMWHG has that. She used to date Christian and is kinda a sell-out rudelord with compromised morals.

Logan Browning as Zora

Zora is an up-and-coming power, used to do Wolfe’s blood, her power is like shooting purple mind diamonds out of her hands. She stopped thinking she was such hot poo poo after fighting Wolfe in the jail, which is funny cause that’s right when Mario Lopez the host of Extra decided she’s totally hot poo poo for fighting Wolfe as a teen. She’s like Lorde, I guess. She’s supes disaffected and probably the most interesting character in the mix.

Mario Lopez as Mario Lopez

Mario Lopez is a reporter for the news-entertainment show Extra. Apparently, Extra reports on powers in the Powers universe despite Powers not being a show worthy of appearing on the real Extra. He was only in the first ep last year, but let’s hope for more this season!

There’s also this dumb anarcho-klebold blonde kid who hates powers and is organizing rallies and poo poo. This kid used to date Calista and maybe kinda still does. He hates powers because his dad (A cop, Christian’s former partner) was killed in the line of duty by one. He’s a whiny cur with a poo poo attitude and let’s all just hope he falls off the face of the earth.

I’m a bit worried about this season. With Kutter being in every episode, is he going to be the new main character hunting down Wolfe’s killer? Is everyone else going to die? Is he going to manage Zora’s PR? Or is he just the only guy dumb enough to waste energy on a credits power-play for Powers on IMDB?

Realtalk, the trailer spoilers some poo poo that hasn’t happened yet so if you care about that avoid it. Same story with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_n1s_hFhrU but it does give a good enough summary of the story so far to watch from here. I’m not joking, everything you need to know about this series can be condensed into like a 2 minute montage and the only thing you’re missing is that Johnny Royale is 1. Taking a father role to Calista 2. Is former BFFS with Christian 3. Is a character. Like, at all.

Powers S1 is available now included in all Sony® Playstation™ Network subscriptions, S2 episodes begin May 31st.

WARNING! This price is only available from 4/21/2015 03:00 am to 1/1/3000 02:59 am.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, everyone is getting excited about this. Not far away now!

Here's a new trailer to tide us all over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGBCJRDPkeE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Olesya Rulin looks like she is 14 but she's loving 30. Freakish Russian genetics.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Um, isn't Wolfe Eddie Izzard?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Um, isn't Wolfe Eddie Izzard?

He's not a lizard.

:hellyeah::henget::heysexy:
The first three episodes of season 2 are now live on PSN!
1. Carcas, 1967
2. Funeral of the Century
3. Hell Night
:getin:

Edit:

1. Carcas, 1967

New credit sequence! Music feels like a 60s pulp movie and the stylized dutch-angled silhouettes only increase this. Are they trying this year? The scene with Calista in the desert only reinforces the confusion, as they spend a good deal of time showing off how well they can render a truck being thrown but they throw Calista into the laziest desert greenscreen I've seen in some time. But, Deena has some real character development and her dialog with Christian in his apartment reinforces this. Dat boi Justice Leak is partnered with Deena (o poo poo waddup), so we'll be seeing a lot more of him! That ex-partner's son is gone, so that's cool--though I question dedicating his suicide to a real person. Enrico Colantoni shows up. I knew it was gonna happen, but as a Powered anti-powers Senator that's awesome. Folks, I got a good feeling about this season. Let's see how the next two gently caress it up

2. Funeral of the Century

Green-tint Cemetary.
I have a feeling we're going to be exposed to "Tomorrow, I'm all yours. And the day after that. And the day after that." The way that The Shield gave us "They made you...SUCK?"
Can anyone hook up that "Wolfe pwns Zora" gif?
The sex club scene was a bit ridiculous.
New Retro Girl/Calista is being awesome.
I can't remember the comics well enough, but a lot of this feels familiar without feeling like they're trying to just use the comic as the script like the pilot did.
"The bird has right of way"
Post-credits teaser: Oh poo poo we're gonna get US GEORGIA WAR MACHINE

3. Hell Night
Pilgrim and Kutter because why not?

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 31, 2016

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

loving wow. Sony has finally released this show to Australian PlayStation plus subscribers so I can finally watch this legally.

(I did get a friend with an American PayPal account to add money to an American psn account just to watch this show but it streamed so badly that I couldn't actually watch it that way. Thank you Sony for finally releasing this show to the world. )

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh yeah because what this show needed was more cleavage.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BSam posted:

I'm talking straight up tittie nipples dawg, with janet jackson nipple shields and whips and leather and poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The descriptions and pictures make this show look completely terrible.

And then it reminds me that most of the actors for Alphas don't seem to be working, and that's something that Sony could have spent their money on instead of this and I get sad.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

The descriptions and pictures make this show look completely terrible.

And then it reminds me that most of the actors for Alphas don't seem to be working, and that's something that Sony could have spent their money on instead of this and I get sad.

After 3 failed pilots over 6 years and what I'm assuming were lucrative options for people like Bendis if the show didn't get made within x timeframe, the property was likely the cheapest they could pick up with a built in audience. Alphas would've likely commanded a higher price.

Also give it a chance, it's not as bad as you think. Some great performances come out, it just didn't feel like the first season behind the scenes staff was all anywhere near the same page and the budget is still obviously something they're stretching.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

After getting blackout drunk that night I'm attempting this again.

The tits count has seriously gone up since series one and I'm not even halfway through s2e1

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I don't know what the "leader of the hacks" is but hrs chewing more scenery than Shartley.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Madsen looks slightly less coked out than usual but those fake muscles are hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That preview trailer looked loving terriibbbbble. Whatever happened to the FX Powers did the pilot of that ever get released?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

That preview trailer looked loving terriibbbbble. Whatever happened to the FX Powers did the pilot of that ever get released?

It's never surfaced.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I binged the first season of this a while back but only just realized it got/is getting a second. I need to catch up.

So, that Callista girl is totally the Black Swan 'event' that the techno dude (Triphammer?) kept going on about, right? The end of the first season seemed to imply that her power was similar to Wolfe's, but she's not on anybody's radar yet.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Ok wow. This shows gotten actually good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Kaizoku posted:

I'm talking straight up tittie nipples dawg, with janet jackson nipple shields and whips and leather and poo poo.

Jesus. Zora's nips at the end of s2e6

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hahaha these "you have powers please kill hitter" flashbacks are great.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

Ok wow. This shows gotten actually good.

Have to agree with you there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I only just realised that this was actually up on the UK PSN now too...

Or season TWO is. Season 1 isn't even available on there or any of the other digital video providers to purchase, even though the season aired on regular TV (if you can call first run episodes going out at midnight 'airing') months ago.

• Locked thread