Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
So I'm really goony and don't want to leave my house to go get sales pitched by someone at REI. Can someone recommend a multi-day backpack for hiking/camping.

I was looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Aether...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also talk about backpacks and bindles here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

No one needs a 100L pack unless they're walking to Antarctica.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

I have that pack, the Aether 70 and it's great. Plus, with the top part removed and the hip belt removed, it just barely fits as a carry on bag on airlines from the bottom of the rigid frame to the top, anything larger would not fit and would have to get checked. (You can't pack it absolutely full and still do that though, obviously).

The osprey atmos 65 has more bells and whistles but the straps are too close together for me. The Baltoro one in the same capacity is a bit more comfy I think. The zippers on the aether 70 are loving amazing heavy duty zippers, and it's great that you can access the bottom, middle, or top of the pack from the outside np.

The osprey 20L 'straight jacket' compression bag just perfectly fits in the bottom of the bag too, so that's a nice way to start a packing system if you really love branding.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.
You're not real clear on what you need it for. I assume by multi-day you mean backpacking trips. If you mean car camping with a pack for day hikes then that's different.

Here is the pack I use for multi-day trips into back country. It's an Osprey Talon 44L. I'll give you the link to REI but do your homework and don't pay this much:
https://www.rei.com/product/864668/osprey-talon-44-pack

I like this pack because its comfortable and has a lot of nice features without having so many crazy bells and whistles that it falls short of doing what its intended to do. My advice is to not fall into the trap of getting a huge bag. This 44L is plenty big for all the gear I've ever needed. Longest I've taken this is on was a 5 day 60 mile trip.

My tendency is to fill my bag. If I bring my 80L bag, I will want to bring 80L of stuff. By sticking to the 44L bag, it forces me to make smarter choices about what I'm bringing. Don't buy a bigger bag thinking it'll be more versatile and you can use it for shorter or longer trips.

If you're just looking for something for short hikes or camping at KOAs, then get whatever you want. A little 20L pack would be fine.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Talon is a great pack too and 2 lbs lighter than the Aether 70.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
So you're saying I need two backpacks? I guess I should expand on what I want. I want to have something for multiple days without a car or interaction with stores, refilling etc. But also something that can be taken on airplanes for foreign hiking.

I also don't want to look like an idiot with a 70L on a day or two-day hike.

Thanks for the help though. I've never had a bigger backpack and figured a 70L was the next leap after my years of using lovely Jansports and other school bags not intended for hiking while killing my back.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

The aether 70 is a really tight fit for airplane, while doable it's is kind of a hassle to stow the belt and the top part. The Talon would be a good bet if you're frequently on there. It's soooo much better than a jansport bag or any non-frame pack, you'll see, you pretty much can't go wrong...

I like the 70 even for weekend backpacking personally, because I always ending up carrying extra poo poo and its nice to have room. I definitely am not like the ultra light uber pros here.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Black Diamond Demon, perfect in every way. No frills, the comfortable miniature pickup truck of backpacks, the kind you can always coax to work for you.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

meselfs posted:

Black Diamond Demon, perfect in every way. No frills, the comfortable miniature pickup truck of backpacks, the kind you can always coax to work for you.

Removable frame in that pack too. But... should he really summon the demon?? A dark bargain often costs more than the outlay...

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

im gay posted:

So you're saying I need two backpacks? I guess I should expand on what I want. I want to have something for multiple days without a car or interaction with stores, refilling etc. But also something that can be taken on airplanes for foreign hiking.

I also don't want to look like an idiot with a 70L on a day or two-day hike.

Thanks for the help though. I've never had a bigger backpack and figured a 70L was the next leap after my years of using lovely Jansports and other school bags not intended for hiking while killing my back.

For what you're doing, I would always bring the 44L pack I linked. For me, it's a versatile size. I would take it on any trip that is more than a single day. I have a larger pack, but I only use it for really multi week trips or winter trips (winter means more food, water, and bulkier clothes and sleeping bag.)

So you don't need a second backpack unless you take on a trip that requires it. You do need another bag, though. You don't want to haul off your whole pack every time you need to dig a cat hole or gather some tinder. What I do is pack a small day pack in my larger bag. I put the essentials in that - first aid kit, toiletries, trowel, etc. That way when I make camp I can leave the large bag and just take what I need when I do out exploring or whatever.

At any rate, in my experience if you have a 44L or thereabouts bag and you can't fit everything you need for a few days in it, then you're at the point of examining your priorities rather than shopping for a bigger bag. I'm not even an ultralight obsessed guy or anything, and I can't imagine carrying a larger or heavier bag for those trips.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I have an Atmos 65 and love that poo poo. Osprey's gear guarantee is out of this world to boot.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

I have an Atmos 65 and love that poo poo. Osprey's gear guarantee is out of this world to boot.

Atmos 65 AG is a great bag.

Also, both the Aether and the Atmos's floating top section can be removed and used as a small daypack to carry poo poo around in. You can even attach the hip belt to it if you really want to securely strap it to yourself. It's kind of a pain to remove the belt, but I found if you shove a closed stick of deodorant or similarly sized item you can slide it right out after removing the buckles.

Both the atmos and the aether have several options with the compression straps so you can shrink it down to 40 liters if you'd like. It's incredibly versatile.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Nthing Osprey packs, I just bought a Talon 22, (smaller version of the 44 mentioned earlier for day hikes/cycling) and I love it.

If you're looking for a new pack, I would encourage you to look for larger, ~60L. Since you're starting out, you probably have bulky gear and a tent, and the extra space is invaluable.

I still bring my Osprey Volt 60 pack on overnight trips, because I can just leave my quilts uncompressed and they fill up the space no problem. Plus, I can fit in stuff like my bear canister. You can always fill in or cinch down a pack, but it sucks if you have to start strapping a bunch of poo poo to the outside because there's no room inside.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

I'd second the recommendation for a 60-65 for a flexible multi-day pack, but the most important criteria is the fit.. which is why I have an Arcteryx Bora 95. I'm 6'4" and thus the tall version of the 65 turned into a 95. Arc'teryx packs are incredibly well built, and as they offer small, regular and tall frames (and sized hip belts) you can get pretty close to a perfect fit for your size. I think it's worth adding that if you're tall, and say, need tall versions of everything (sleeping bag, thermarest, clothing) you are going to need considerably more room for your gear than some little 5'6" dude with his tiny pack. Also, if you plan on doing edge season or winter camping you will need a fair bit more volume.

I also can't help but wonder if the people with the 44l ultra-light packs in this thread are anything like some of the people that I hike with where the conversation while sorting out shared gear goes like this:

me) hey, 44lHiker; want you to take the day4 foodbag, and .. another piece of shared gear. What you want, the water purifier? Medical kit?
44lHiker) *busy talking about their 1" long modified toothbrush that they later almost choke on, and their plan to borrow anything they don't bring*
44lHiker) Wait, what? Oh man, that foodbag looks really bulky, who picked this stuff, it can't possibly be lightweight choices?!
me) We talking about this last week. You were busy chopping off the excess straps on your pack for extra weight savings..?
44lHiker) Well.. can I just take a fuel bottle instead? And why do we need a medical kit? Or a water purifier? I have this UV pen!!
me) yeah, well you're the only one that likes UV sterilized muddy swamp water. Take the food bag FFS.
44lHiker) *gripes* well, if I have to. I guess I'll just put my child sized thermarest on the outside of my pack ..
44lHiker) gently caress, I don't have enough strap left to attach my thermarest. Does anyone have ... straps? Rope? Room in their pack?
*collective sighs*
*stuff is redistributed to favour weight over volume until 44lHiker has his shared gear stowed.
44lHiker) Oh man, this little pack is uncomfortable now with all this weight in here. Who planned this? Boy, not me, we'd never need half this poo poo!

44lHiker) *complains bitterly for remaining trip about wet/muddy thermarest*
me) *considers brimming pack full of shared gear and 44lHiker's raingear and the chance of anyone missing his body in the woods

Ok, I'm not calling out lightweight hikers and there is definitely the peril of overfilling your big pack or ending up carrying the bulk of the shared gear. Did a 3 day 65km hike with a group of almost a dozen and my brother and I both ended up carrying ~35kg (dry weight..) packs, on a day one that ended up being just over 30km. Start getting tents and poo poo setup, and I notice a buddy of mine who for reasons not apparent had been struggling all day, has his tent up, and is lying in it, half sticking out, already totally dead to the world. Go to organize some packs lying around and nearly toss his (new..) GF's pack into the woods, because it weighed about 5 pounds, because it literally contained a sleeping bag, and two (2!) full size pillows. My mind is blown, I laugh, and pick up his sister's pack and .. the same. Weirdly, the GF didn't last, and he never invited his sister along again, ha ha. They both did love their lightweight little packs tho!

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My advise is don't buy a backpack online but go try one in a store, load it up with 20 and 40 pounds and see how it feels on your back.

I'd also suggest getting a fixed frame or non adjustable one that fits, I know some people like backpacks where you can adjust the length of the pack but eh, I've never tried one that beats a fixed one that fits. I've had success with http://gregorypacks.com backpacks, they fit me nicely.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

Blitter posted:

I also can't help but wonder if the people with the 44l ultra-light packs in this thread are anything like some of the people that I hike with where the conversation while sorting out shared gear goes like this:

You'd think so, but no. I'm taking that 44L I was talking about on a three day out and back in two weeks. I'm not sure exactly how much my gear weighs individually, but I'm carrying group gear, food, water, and a heavy three person tent. If anyone is really curious I can post my gear list for the trip, but suffice to say my 44L is carrying enough gear to support me and part of the 5 person group, and I'm pretty fat from a gram obsessed ultralighter.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

yeah... more I think about this... the more I think you need to go to your nearby recreational equipment store of choice anyway, since many bags have a small/medium/large deal for that particular bag and you don't want to guestimate that. and you can actually try out many packs to find the one that feels the best on you, they got sandbags you can put in there. I agree with the guy that suggested that.

For reference, here's all the specific recommended packs so far.

Osprey Aether 70
Osprey Atmos 65 AG
Gregory Baltoro 75
Osprey Talon 44
Osprey Talon 22
Osprey Volt 60
Black Diamond Demon (34 L)

sports
Sep 1, 2012
i use a north face vault which is a laptop bag.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Mld Prophet
Ula Ohm

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Get one with solar panels.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Late to the party but don't discount REI-branded packs. Went to the store to try everything and a lot of the European brands ended up being too narrow, which was a bummer bc I was sold on osprey. Ended up with REI packs bc they felt the best. Loved mine so much ended up getting a similar model for my wife

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I have an Osprey Aether and it's awesome.

I would go and try on packs before ordering online though. Ospey and Gregory packs for example fit a little different and so while Ospreys work better for me, Gregorys work better for some of my other friends. I would have loved to get an Arc'teryx Altra, but it was like 10% better for double the cost which wasn't worth it to me.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I love me ULA Circuit. No frills and light.

Honestly, you need to try stuff on though.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Honestly, you need to try stuff on though.

This is very true. Do you know the size pack that you need? The same carrying capacity packs come in multiple sizes for different torso lengths.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
ULA circuit if you actually give a poo poo.

Osprey will be fine as well and easier to get. If you're going to die after 5km's like that other goon in his backyard or w/e then any branded thing at REI. It's worth going into a store to see what works regardless.Pay attention to your waist/neck.

Make a gear list, it will help.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah the Circuit is great, I love mine. BUT it's not really designed to carry more than 35 lbs, so I wouldn't get it and then try to carry 40+

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Do plastic zippers automatically mean a backpack is garbage-tier? I just bought a pack and to my chagrin I later found the zippers, while still fairly heavy-duty, were plastic and not metal. :gonk:

It's a 5.11 Rush something 12 or whatever. Cool bag, seems pretty well made and its small but I can throw Molle attachments on it. But I slapped myself when I realized the drat zippers were plastic when I got home.

I keep some cord in my backpack for multiple uses so if it falls apart I can fix it, but I won't be using it to carry a laptop or anything expensive (some people bought it as a laptop bag, I mean if it works for them that's cool but that's not what I want to use it for.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 25, 2016

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
At least you're safe from magnets!

For now ...

Cuck_Mulligan
Aug 25, 2016
Just get a regular loving backpack. No need to throw down hundreds on some poo poo like a cuck.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Cuck_Mulligan posted:

Just get a regular loving backpack. No need to throw down hundreds on some poo poo like a cuck.

Regular backpack does not have a hipbelt to transfer the load down to your hips and off your shoulders/spine.

Do not get a regular backpack, and don't get some Molle/military thing. Basically any hiking backpack with a padded hip belt and chest strap will do fine.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cuck_Mulligan posted:

Regular backpacks loving suck.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Regular backpacks loving suck.

yeah get a backpacking backpack unless you want to go backpacking once and never again because of how you screwed up your neck and back and how unpleasant the whole experience was. then I guess take your loving jansport

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Can't walk past a Flextrek

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Arcteryx Arrakis 65, thing is a beast. Fits around 85 in a pinch.

Anything touting itself as tactical is going to be garbage. You don't need to be strapping magazines to your pack for easy access.

Ice axe loops do work nicely for a normal axe though.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Whipsnake with vigor.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got an old rear end Jansport external frame pack from the thrift store today, all the cams and straps work perfectly and it's been used maybe once or twice. feels about 20 years old idk.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Make sure you get one that fits you, especially if you're short or tall.

I bought this and it's ok It only has one wide entry point on the top, but its well thought out, the simplicity is nice. Still it can hold a lot or shrink down and do fine as a day trip bag. Also it was on sale and came in XL:
http://www.patagonia.com/product/ascensionist-pack-45-liters/48000.html

I wore it for a week moto camping, it worked nice. The top part become extra bulbous and hold a six pack + gallon of water.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 2, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Free Market Mambo posted:

Arcteryx Arrakis 65, thing is a beast. Fits around 85 in a pinch.

Anything touting itself as tactical is going to be garbage. You don't need to be strapping magazines to your pack for easy access.

Ice axe loops do work nicely for a normal axe though.

I'm about to look up prices on this and while I feel like it will be too much, thanks for posting that it has loops. I was wondering which of these have a place to strap my small forest axe to the side, and I don't really want to cram it in the bag with the zipper open.

edit

God drat that thing is big, anyone know of a 30-40l pack with loops for a small axe or two ice axes? Preferably under $100?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

extra stout posted:

I'm about to look up prices on this and while I feel like it will be too much, thanks for posting that it has loops. I was wondering which of these have a place to strap my small forest axe to the side, and I don't really want to cram it in the bag with the zipper open.

edit

God drat that thing is big, anyone know of a 30-40l pack with loops for a small axe or two ice axes? Preferably under $100?

The Arrakis is stupid expensive, but I justified it through pretty heavy use. Still looks good after 7 years of use. I also like that it's basically a giant dry bag.

There's an Arrakis 40 on the market, but suffers from being crazy expensive for a 40 liter pack.

My day pack I normally use is a Kode 38, which is ostensibly for skiing, but I've used it for everything. Has a central ice ave loop which I fits my wetterlings large hunter's axe.

It looks like it's currently on sale at moosejaw for around $100, http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-kode-38-backpack-2100-2500cu-in

• Locked thread