Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This is the smartest, dumb show I've seen and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

JakeP posted:

shows weird and meh

Look at this wrong post. Just look at it. Lady Dynamite is more amazing than anything this poster could ever poo poo out.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Veskit posted:

It's not a caricature that's what it feels like. Or at least that's what I felt like and what others have said, so, no it's not really faked. It may not work for you from a TV standpoint, but it doesn't make the feelings, or the portrayal fake.

Art sometimes is exaggerated because that's how it feels internally. Though it wasn't so, I dunno what you want.

You do, otherwise you wouldn't put out your opinion.

Yeah, I like this show and all, but I had to keep taking breaks from it because it hits way too close to home for me at some points. I was recently diagnosed Bipolar 2 and a close friend is rapid-cycling and some of the segments showing her depressive episodes bother me. I did recommend it to some family members though as a 'this is what I've been struggling with for years' example, since they don't really 'get' mental health struggles.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

WHAT THE SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT CAROL?!

I love this show, I love this quote and now I love you.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I thought the show was pretty much brilliant, incredibly impressive. Emotionally harrowing but also funny as hell, with really great performances all around. Strong individual episodes and stories but you also have to watch the whole season to really get the big picture.

I kind of want to see Maria and Bojack Horseman hang out, since they are both on Netflix.

The show reminded me of Richard Pryor's performances talking about his addiction and heart attack, and Jo Jo Dancer. Not just bringing out emotionally painful material, but then also taking it to a comedic place and somehow making it even more affecting than a serious treatment would have been.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 7, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Idahoant posted:

I kind of want to see Maria and Bojack Horseman hang out, since they are both on Netflix.

She did, she's the director of Secretariat :ssh:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, Maria does a lot of voice work, not just on failed Bill Cosby / Seaworld cartoons. On BoJack she's the director and according to IMDB also a bunch of other random voices.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bunk Rogers posted:

I love this show, I love this quote and now I love you.

I hope you weren't planning on having kids. I'm 45. That would be unsafe.

Disclaimer. I'm a 29 year old guy

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So is she like Black Dynamite's daughter?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
depends on whether he's ever hosed a pterodactyl

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So is she like Black Dynamite's daughter?

Illinois Smith posted:

depends on whether he's ever hosed a pterodactyl

Ha HAAAA! I busted that nut before I even came in the room! (corn!!)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Maria, how did you know?!
Pugs don't wear alligator shoes!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just finished it and enjoyed it. I love comedy shows that deal handling mental problems. I also love everything involving blossom in the last episode; it was a great representation of a manic episode reaching it's peak. Hope this has a second season even though I don't know what it could cover.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
What a great show. Had a wonderful moment of feeling crazy with the reveal of 3 characters having the same name and not noticing until the last ep. :psyduck:

"Ok, the fact that there's 11 other people with that name makes me want to kill myself"

Super appreciated the small details, such as the OKC screenshots being the site layout from 2013 (she made the profile in the past) instead of the current version.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 28, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
p.s.

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/733773516189769729

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
I love this show!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just watched the first episode of this, since Netflix recommended it for liking Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. And two of my favorite shows are UKS and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so I thought I'd try another slightly-unhinged-white-girl comedy show. It had its moments (I especially loved the Patton Oswalt commentary), but overall felt uneven and a little weirder than I expected (goats). Does it get better?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Just watched the first episode of this, since Netflix recommended it for liking Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. And two of my favorite shows are UKS and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so I thought I'd try another slightly-unhinged-white-girl comedy show. It had its moments (I especially loved the Patton Oswalt commentary), but overall felt uneven and a little weirder than I expected (goats). Does it get better?
It's extremely weird, but it gets very good. It's darker than Kimmy Schmidt or CEG, but with richer character development. It does some very interesting things and goes some cool places. That said, you might not end up liking it. Give it a couple more episodes, though. It can take a bit to click - it doesn't have the immediate hook or Tina Fey's joke-a-minute style that Kimmy Schmidt has.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd say it hits its stride about 3-4 episodes in.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

gandlethorpe posted:

It definitely gets less weird (to me) as the series goes on.

The time jumping still happens a bunch but it seems like they cut out a lot of the "meta-ness" later in the season.

Great show.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I'd say it hits its stride about 3-4 episodes in.

I agree.

And after watching and falling in love with this show and Maria's vulnerability, I watched some of her standup. She's my new favorite comedian. I especially like her 1-hour Christmas gift special.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's a show that's not about gayass feel posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatched this show, it's the best. The mix of a light, bouncy, manic mood with super dark poo poo, and the intertwining of the two, is insanely effective.

• Locked thread