Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoFS5moZgAc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Trihugger posted:

I kinda want to see a true live version of it rather than the post-produced Bluray version.

There's :filez: versions of the live viewing satellite feeds out there if you want to check out the original audio

Rheya
Mar 30, 2010
I saw the movie over the weekend!

So, uhm, here's a bunch of spoiler-tagged initial thoughts about it.

The CG in Believe again especially looked incredibly good. The short version in the movie is also super catchy but I think the full version loses a lot of steam in the second half unfortunately. In general I liked all the new songs quite a bit, with Next SPARKLING!! probably being my favorite. Maybe that's overly specific but the delivery of the "Wasu-re-na-i, Wasure-nai" parts is really nice.

I guess I thought structure-wise it was a bit messy?

The Italy plot ended fairly unceremoniously (the song is great though) and didn't really fit with the rest of the themes of the movie to me. "Proving to others that being a school idol has merit" is a fairly µ's-esque plot and the strength of Aqours for me lies in taking a more introspective turn and it was always more about inner group dynamics, how you frame and view difficulties and setbacks and what you find meaning in, etc. I'd even say it's at times pretty explicitly about the fact that success is not required to give you or your passion value. That they are a successful school idol group feels kind of secondary to me at this point.
Obviously Mari's mom has a lot of actual, real power over Mari and thus it's hard to argue with the fact that her trying to force an arranged marriage on her daughter is a genuine problem from an in-universe perspective, it just felt very disconnected from the rest. It would have made a good standalone anime episode with her mom realizing that this hobby is meaningful and important to Mari and worth respecting, they didn't really need to go to Italy for that either.

Personally, I didn't feel like I needed more from Saint Snow after the Awaken the power storyline in S2 but it was fine and definitely tied in a bit better but also took up a surprising amount of space (and as I said, the song and performance were really strong). I just think Leah is mostly abrasive in kind of a boring way and I don't enjoy her character that much.

I also found it a bit strange that they basically set the plot right after they decide to continue on as 6, then doubt that decision and reaffirm it. It would have been pretty interesting to see them reach that conclusion in the first place? I really like that decision though and the parts of the movie that are focused on that and the surrounding message, especially the ending. Chika also had some nice lines in that vein when she was writing a song and Riko was over at her house. It resonated with me a lot more than the ending to the µ's movie which I accepted as being the decision those characters felt was right for them but I don't think I was there with them in that.

I thought the movie was consistently really funny, especially Yohane delivered throughout. One of my favorite smaller gags was Mari's mom playing the piano and everyone being kind of confused about what's happening except for Riko who looked comically excited.

I agree that they gave Hanamaru pretty much nothing except for comic relief, with especially the eating/food jokes being fairly tiresome. I really wonder why that's the case, they could even just give her some of Ruby's "asserting herself" stuff and it'd kind of work?
It occurred to me that I'd like if she wrote a song but honestly, there'd be so many options. She doesn't seem like a difficult character to give more serious moments to.

There were quite a few nice new casual outfits from everyone.

I read some spoilers beforehand because I was really anxious about the "WELL, IS THIS IT FOR AQOURS???" question and just from those, to me it actually seemed like maybe it wouldn't be but I got more of a sense of closure/finality from the lyrics to Brightest Melody and Next SPARKLING!! than I expected. I remain unsure, however. It also didn't feel that definite.
Overall, I had a great time but pretty much just seeing new animation and hearing new dialogue was enough to make me kind of emotional. I love Aqours.

Also, Over The Next Rainbow wasn't in the movie but there's a full version around now and it's amazing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/AnimeExpo/status/1129174970657939456

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
:siren: :siren: Love Live Sushine - Over the Rainbow movie watch :siren: :siren:

We're looking to stream Over the Rainbow ahead of 5L and AX for anyone who hasn't yet seen it! Come join us over at https://cytu.be/r/super_idol_time 18:00 PDT/21:00 EDT.

Be there or be square :greencube:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
If anyone is interested it seems that they're going to be streaming Aqours 2nd live on youtube at 8pm PST. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLtRA8iPFg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

We're so loving back bros