Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Half kids books, the rest parenting magazines and airport paperbacks, but it also had two unopened bottles of bubbles for blowing bubbles, and a little basket full of bookmarks. Two shelves, with benches for sitting under a tree for shade. The construction alone makes it absolutely outstanding.
A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

boom boom boom posted:

Half kids books, the rest parenting magazines and airport paperbacks, but it also had two unopened bottles of bubbles for blowing bubbles, and a little basket full of bookmarks. Two shelves, with benches for sitting under a tree for shade. The construction alone makes it absolutely outstanding.
A+

Wow, this one is fantastic!

I think it's nice to get the little ones interested in reading and bubbles. Don't hate me goons!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good job OP this is exactly what we need more of....other posters, take notes.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Drink Cheerwine posted:

oh, we dont have any of those since we give them mandatory free bus tickets to houston heights

lol @ the idea of public transportation existing in houston.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

this is a great thread ill go get some of the little library I found here in guelph

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

A+

it's a trap they don't have to fire warning shots at trespassers in texas

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
goddamn white people are ruining the heights

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
If this is in Houston, wouldn't all those books outside get mildew and start to rot in the humidity?

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
these seem way too small for the homeless to masturbate in

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Boner Zone posted:

these seem way too small for the homeless to masturbate in

yeah and where the heck the Internet hookup

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kids stuff on the bottom, a great mix of fiction and non-fiction on the top shelf. It's a purple robot.
A+

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That is the last LFL in The Heights, and I've been using a pretty dang generous definition of "The Heights". If there's still interest I could start doing more LFLs in the greater Houston area, but they're a lot more spread out. Hopefully other posters will start posting their own local LFLs too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I live right next to the playground in a trailer park in a 90% Hispanic neighborhood*. Been wanting to put one of these up in our front yard as it'd be a great spot. Might build it up in the next few weeks. Should be neat because I get to stock it with two languages worth of books!

*the tacos are super good

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

boom boom boom posted:

That is the last LFL in The Heights, and I've been using a pretty dang generous definition of "The Heights". If there's still interest I could start doing more LFLs in the greater Houston area, but they're a lot more spread out. Hopefully other posters will start posting their own local LFLs too.

I'd like to see you cover more of houston, go off the beaten path a little, preferably somewhere you are killed

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The apartment building where I used to work had some bookshelves that worked like these. Most of the stuff there was stuff that no one could want, like Readers' Digest condensed books, trashy suspense novels, and there were even some VHS tapes. I once left a book about the Thirty Years' War there that I couldn't get through.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

boom boom boom posted:

Are there any in the suburbs? I assume any in seabrook have been looted by high schoolers by now

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are there any in the suburbs? I assume any in seabrook have been looted by high schoolers by now

Map doesn't show any in Seabrook, bu there's a bunch in Webster for some reason

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

drive to katy lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

boom boom boom posted:

Map doesn't show any in Seabrook, bu there's a bunch in Webster for some reason

Looks like there's one in my old high school, so hopefully it's still in the building when they tear the school down next month.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Cool

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Op pls don't post pics of my house

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The town I work in has some of these. They're really sweet.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I like the idea but the couple I have peeked into in my area are full of silverfish and earwigs. You'd have to build to very high standards to keep them out.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
Aw, what a cute alternative to a sex offender registry!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
My father and I built this one for my mom's birthday- the paint job's a little OTT, but she liked it. It's drizzly and foggy where they live, so we used tin for the roof. MAH GIRLFRIEND and I buy a lot of books from thrift stores and after reading 'em, they go in the free library.

People are generally pretty good about not just grabbing everything, I was pleasantly surprised.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I currently live in Santiago, Chile. Books here are hard to come by, and English books even more so. Like, decades old airport fiction is pretty much all I can find in bookstores, and even that starts at $4 dollars US.

So its really nice to think of being back in the US, where I could just walk down the street and find high quality, good condition books for free.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Kids stuff on the bottom, a great mix of fiction and non-fiction on the top shelf. It's a purple robot.
A+

I appreciate it when neighborhood competition is more useful to the community than who has the biggest dickwaving Christmas light display.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

reading is a scam

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
What happens if it rains really hard

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

amusinginquiry posted:

What happens if it rains really hard

in Houston? the city floods and shuts down, great opportunity for a swim and a read

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

8 track betamax posted:

Good job OP this is exactly what we need more of....other posters, take notes.

I couldn't agree more! Thanks everyone!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Moving out of the Heights

At the intersection of Houston and Crocket

Exclusively beat up romances and Christian inspiration. Somebody removed or broke off the springy door in front. All the books show at least a little damage from humidity because of that. Worst LFL I've ever seen.
F-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ugh I hate MILLENIALS with their reading and neighbourly ways

• Locked thread