Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh also found out that postit was written for her by someone else on the team the last time the password was broken to help her understand how to login. So... Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think they should bring back the cane.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kat Delacour posted:

Oh also found out that postit was written for her by someone else on the team the last time the password was broken to help her understand how to login. So... Yeah.

Tell me you don't manage a network printer queue :ohdear:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Idgi if that's a specific reference to something I'm supposed to get but probably if it's broken? I fixed it I fix things I'm a fixer.

Edit: I am basically the amalgam of the IT crowd but instead of disdain and social awkwardness I'm just really chuffed when things work and social awkwardness

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 1, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

As a person working the census this year, and also doing door knocking afterwards, everyone is very much "Let's just wait and see how fast it explodes on the 9th"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Having worked in IT support in various positions for well over a decade the disdain and apathy starts early, although if you want to progress a good acting ability is a must to pretend you don't hate everyone you talk to on a daily basis.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Tell me you don't manage a network printer queue :ohdear:

I think I'd rather mangage a network printer than a parallel port printer. I'm pretty sure Satan spent a couple of decades disguising itself in the form of printers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Saw a news report saying their phoneline to request paper census forms was inundated and no one could get through. It'd be funny if they were completely overprepared for online traffic and underprepared for paper.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah I've had 8+ years in technical call centre work before this job, which is a dream very honestly with lovely people and great conditions. Plus teaching at secondary and uni tutoring experience, it's easy to be polite about it and avoid making people feel (too) bad.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 1, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Saw a news report saying their phoneline to request paper census forms was inundated and no one could get through. It'd be funny if they were completely overprepared for online traffic and underprepared for paper.

They really, really, really want people to do poo poo online. Trust me.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
When am I supposed to get this census poo poo in the mail? We might not have internet that night so I'm going to need a form kinda soon.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Likewise. The sheer amount of stuff Melbourne Uni threw into their degree at least has always found a use for me somewhere.

Oh, and if you do move to the UK for teaching, be careful - I've heard that UK schools do shady things to Aus grads. Things like 'Sure, we have a few Math classes for you over here' but then it's a bait and switch and you wind up teaching art or something. I've seen a few Grads go through it.

Yeah I've heard that's not just a shady thing they do to overseas teachers coming in, it's a huge problem across their entire system. Their shortage is so severe they'll throw you into anything and everything.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Some forms of "IT" are being outsourced but ultimately its gonna be a long rear end time until anything in Australia is at a point where its all work from remote cloud based poo poo supported by India or whatever because we have no decent quality internet.

the last 3 places I have worked have all wanted someone who spends time walking around the office and interacting with people to build rapport and work with them rather than against them. You cant outsource that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Laserface posted:

Some forms of "IT" are being outsourced but ultimately its gonna be a long rear end time until anything in Australia is at a point where its all work from remote cloud based poo poo supported by India or whatever because we have no decent quality internet.

the last 3 places I have worked have all wanted someone who spends time walking around the office and interacting with people to build rapport and work with them rather than against them. You cant outsource that.

Or so you think. :smug:

Just look how comfortable and relaxed this man is walking and talking with a man masturbating while working from home.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay someone make a new thread by tomorrow night. I'd threaten to write one myself 'as a mother', but I'm too lazy to actually pull off that gimmick.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Pauline Pantsdown and Anthony Albanese (from the Pauline Hanson Documentary).

Apparently she live streamed herself watching it

I guess it could theoretically be entertaining for supporters of a politician to watch them live stream their reactions to a documentary critical of them (assuming they actually had charisma + a sense of humour) but apparently she just sat there and said "that's not true" etc while deadpan :geno:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Apparently she live streamed herself watching it

I guess it could theoretically be entertaining for supporters of a politician to watch them live stream their reactions to a documentary critical of them (assuming they actually had charisma + a sense of humour) but apparently she just sat there and said "that's not true" etc while deadpan :geno:
Hanson's lack of a sense of humour is ironically quite funny.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Laserface posted:

the only thing IT jobs in Australia have going for them is that Australian management is so dreadfully conservative that they will be slow to reorganise around tech that can lower onshore headcount. I worry about people getting into entry level customer/client facing support roles today, the progression that was available 20+ years ago when I started just isn't there any more, and the pay for those roles is terrible now too.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
http://theconversation.com/wa-senate-result-5-liberals-4-labor-2-greens-1-one-nation-63315

quote:

The WA and Tasmanian Senate results mean it is likely that Labor and the Greens will hold 36 of 76 Senate seats, with 30 likely for the Coalition. The Coalition would then need nine of ten crossbenchers to pass legislation opposed by Labor and the Greens.
:getin:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
August thread is open for business.

Hey, I had to get my revenge somehow.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ScreamingLlama posted:

August thread is open for business.

Hey, I had to get my revenge somehow.

drat, you're never going to get over your loving avatar are you?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's so much about that avatar itself, it's the fact that I was being relentlessly bullied and victim-blamed and no-one saw fit to say "you know, maybe this should stop". Auspol keeps ragging on our politicians and Joe Voter for being consistently terrible and yet here you are being consistently terrible right here. Hypocrites.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
It's kinda amazing how in a thread where almost every single person has had their avatar changed in many waves of right-wing butthurtery over the months, someone can still think they're uniquely tortured for getting an avatar change.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Finally, we're free of the tyranny of the election thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785132&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Now get outta here people.

Apparently I can't close the thread on mobile, so that'll have to wait.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ha ha

quote:

Luke Axiak I don't believe in out of Africa or China but I would rather be out of China than Africa.

From that nazi guy's fb page. gently caress, so hilariously transparent.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Finally, we're free of the tyranny of the election thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785132&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Now get outta here people.

Apparently I can't close the thread on mobile, so that'll have to wait.

Even in death this thread still lives.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

kingcom posted:

Even in death this thread still lives.

We have earned this suffering, my people.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Meanwhile in Queensland

quote:

Raymond John Mead found guilty of murdering his stepdaughter at Logan property
By Andrew Kos

Updated about an hour ago

A 51-year-old man has been found guilty of murdering his stepdaughter in 2014 at a property south of Brisbane.

There were emotional scenes in the Supreme Court as the jury delivered its verdict.

Raymond John Mead fatally stabbed Sherelle Locke, 23, at a house in Boronia Heights in February 2014.

Ms Locke, from the Gold Coast, had been visiting her mother and stepfather when she was attacked.

Mead's family swore and cried as the verdict was handed down.

Justice Ann Lyons asked Mead's supporters to leave the courtroom and placed on the record that one had made a threatening face at the jury.

One of Mead's supporters left the courtroom swearing and saying the victim "deserved it".

The court is reviewing CCTV vision of the incidents.

Outside court, Sherelle's mother Marlene Locke told reporters she was pleased with the verdict.

"It was the outcome that we wanted — I know it doesn't bring my daughter back, but we got the verdict that we wanted," she said.

"It's had a huge impact. There's always going to be a piece of my heart missing because we were always so close as mother and daughter.

"She was a free-go-lucky girl, smiled all the time, she'd do anything to help anyone, she had a heart of gold."

Mead will be sentenced later this month.

Lets look at his defence

quote:

A Gold Coast man who killed his stepdaughter allegedly told a neighbour he would he would stab her "if he could get away with it" just weeks before her death.

Raymond John Mead has pleaded not guilty to murdering Sherelle Locke, 23, while she was watching TV in February 2014.

The Brisbane Supreme Court heard on Monday that Mead admitted to stabbing Ms Locke but has claimed he fell, accidentally plunging the knife into her chest.

quote:

The court heard when police arrived Mead shouted at Mrs Locke “you killed your own (expletive) daughter, you stabbed your own daughter”.

Charming.

Lid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 2, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
He said he would only kill her if he got away with it, he didn't get away with it, ergo he didn't kill her

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Please use this thread for discussion and not the ScreamingLamer one.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What sort of person sits in a courtroom day on day and then threatens a jury over a murderer? It cant even be argued they thought it was an accident (27cm deep stab wound is not an accident) because she deserved it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sounds like the same kind of thinking that allows prisoners to be abused in jail - they "deserve it". Clearly this family thinks poorly of that poor woman and in their minds she did something that deserved a stabbing :(

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Also vote his thread 1

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Jumpingmanjim posted:

screamingllama is a lot cooler than you, avatar meltdown and all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Amethyst posted:

You can't just eat the orange and throw the peel away! A man's not a piece of fruit!

This thread was supposed to close last month! Close this thread! Close it, I say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lizard Combatant posted:

This thread was supposed to close last month! Close this thread! Close it, I say!

ELECTION'S OVER FUCKERS, go to the new thread and wallow instead of living n the past!

• Locked thread