Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

PT6A posted:

I can think of some from the 20th century that had plenty of charisma, but you'd not want your country led by them :v:

i think we should wait till chilcot before passing judgement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The guy in blue had no neck

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

You should have gone for Hitler.
Hitler was nothing but a demagogue, Caesar was genuinely trying to improve the lives of the proletarians as can be judged by the legislation he enacted once he got to power. While he was not a revolutionary like the Gracchus brothers his effectiveness made him the most influential populist politician in history.

e: by effectiveness I mean that at least he managed to get to power, unlike the Gracchus who were offed before they had the chance to get anything done

e2:

Gort posted:

Any left-wing leader would get the same treatment Corbyn would. They're not against him, they're against the idea of the Labour party being left-wing.
Forget the Caesar derail, this is where I'm getting at.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It is fine to ignore the referendum result, it should never have been put to a referendum in the first place.

Population growth was only a couple of mil (less than, even) in this 5 years. Over the course of 1997 to 2010 the public sector workforce grew by 12% while the population grew by 8%.

That's hardly a huge gain per capita. And again, it's still smaller than it was under Thatcher.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Pissflaps posted:

it's clear that public sector employment went up a lot under Blair and Brown

What's "a lot" to you? It went from 20.1% as a percentage of total employment in 1999 to 20.3% in 2008.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bryter posted:

What's "a lot" to you? It went from 20.1% as a percentage of total employment in 1999 to 20.3% in 2008.

700,000 people.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Pissflaps posted:

700,000 people.

It's fractions of a percent. Hardly indicative of an ideological commitment to a strong public sector.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It is loving painful that the left are even entertaining ignoring the result. gently caress the tories to death but at least they have the grace and respect to admit what a hideous slippery slope to fascism that would be. I'm beginning to think that all that will come of brexit is we won't elect our MEPs any more, and those appointed will have to use the visitor parking spaces in Brussels. Brexit delivered.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Have you guys considered having HM and her family and the feudal lords and stuff run the country for a while? Maybe just a few years to sort things out?

Democracy isn't turning out well for your people. You're using it to do yourself harm, maybe it should be taken away for your own good?

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

jiggerypokery posted:

It is loving painful that the left are even entertaining ignoring the result. gently caress the tories to death but at least they have the grace and respect to admit what a hideous slippery slope to fascism that would be. I'm beginning to think that all that will come of brexit is we won't elect our MEPs any more, and those appointed will have to use the visitor parking spaces in Brussels. Brexit delivered.

Isn't that what the tories are doing right now? There isn't going to be a compromised solution. They won't be able to paint it as something different.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Reminder that "public sector employee" can and does include people employed by private companies

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

the amount of voters itt who think its fine to ignore the referendum result bothers me

i meant posters but gently caress it

It was non-binding and ultimately the riots would be worth it. But then again I never said I democracy was a good thing.

The people chose something stupid and bad for the country and going through with it just because of democracy is not a smart or even ethical thing to do. Maybe this will be a prime example for future school children when asked why democracy isn't a perfect system.

The real issue with this referendum is that there was an objectively bad choice. And it was picked. If ever there was a time to be undemocratic it is now.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Which part of it?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

hakimashou posted:

Have you guys considered having HM and her family and the feudal lords and stuff run the country for a while? Maybe just a few years to sort things out?

Democracy isn't turning out well for your people. You're using it to do yourself harm, maybe it should be taken away for your own good?

you're not the boss of me we can stop whenever we want *declares another referendum on whether to replace tap water with human blood*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Reminder that "public sector employee" can and does include people employed by private companies

Thanks, PPP!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For those who are interested the definitions are here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....cess/index.html

Mostly it's about quangos counting as public, don't expect anything too salacious.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

hakimashou posted:

Good idea. We'll get right on it.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

hakimashou posted:

the queens extended family includes both david cameron and boris johnson

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The stats I'm looking at have a fun footnote

quote:

Lloyds Banking Group plc is included in the public sector from December 2008 to December 2013 but in the private sector for earlier and subsequent periods.
Royal Bank of Scotland plc is included in the public sector from December 2008 but in the private sector for earlier time periods.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

LemonDrizzle posted:

Excerpts from Theresa May's leadership campaign launch speech: http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/06/theresa-mays-launch-statement-full-text.html

"No change for the foreseeable future" sounds very much like "no Article 50 for the foreseeable future".

i note she only said 'services' and not 'financial services'

are the tories really going to throw the city under a bus for less freedom of movement ? assuming that's even an option

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

If ever there was a time to be undemocratic it is now.

This is probably true, but there is never a time to be undemocratic. You can't cherry pick and ignore it when it doesn't go the way it should. Not having a referendum was the correct path. Not gonna quote Churchill but yeah...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'd say it's less that democracy is a problem and more that rich people own all the media and use it to spread racist propaganda leading to poor people voting against their own best interests.

So it's more that money is inherently anti-democratic. One man one vote, but I get a giant megaphone that reaches millions of people and you get to cup your hands and shout.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Metrication posted:

are the tories really going to throw the city under a bus for less freedom of movement ? assuming that's even an option

They can't if they want to join the EEA. The EU made that final and only option to access the single market.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrFlibble posted:

If I was in a voting booth and my choice was liberal democrat, ukip or tory i'd spoil my ballot.
If I was in a voting booth and my choice was liberal democrat, ukip or tory i'd vote Leave. :v:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Miruvor posted:

Isn't that what the tories are doing right now? There isn't going to be a compromised solution. They won't be able to paint it as something different.

What confuses me is why Theresa May has doubled down on the "we will have access to the single market but not free movement" bandwagon. There's no referendum to win, the people voting for her presumably know the claim is bullshit - why set yourself up for an obvious fail?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bryter posted:

The stats I'm looking at have a fun footnote

I'm not sure why the Pissflaps Graph quotes the OECD given that the ONS makes the figures available but there we are

jiggerypokery posted:

This is probably true, but there is never a time to be undemocratic. You can't cherry pick and ignore it when it doesn't go the way it should. Not having a referendum was the correct path. Not gonna quote Churchill but yeah...

9 people voting to murder the 10th is a pretty good time to be undemocratic.

It turns out to be quite easy - for someone with sufficient money - to influence a certain amount of public opinion. One of the main problems of the Blairist focus group driven politics is that it creates a positive feedback system - you move your policies to respond to what people are telling you, so those telling the people what to think shift the message further along. It's no coincidence that Blair's policies shifted rightwards - a lot of very good things were done early on in Labour's first term under him, but that number fell incredibly drastically as the party drifted position.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Gort posted:

I'd say it's less that democracy is a problem and more that rich people own all the media and use it to spread racist propaganda leading to people voting against their own best interests.

So it's more that money is inherently anti-democratic. One man one vote, but I get a giant megaphone that reaches millions of people and you get to cup your hands and shout.

Yarp. People are far more suggestible than our legal and democratic system are designed to cope with. I don't think this is the thread to get into free will and all that, but I like to think that the age of the free-will illusion will be looked back upon with marvel and pity one day.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lmao okay which one of you did this

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

lmao okay which one of you did this

This programme also provides a useful illustration of Sarah Vine's "sex with Michael Gove" article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqxZo_myyA

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

9 people voting to murder the 10th is a pretty good time to be undemocratic.

What is 52% of 9?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jiggerypokery posted:

What is 52% of 9?

4.68?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That wasn't a referendum metaphor it was a hyperbolic example

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also in general if anyone wants anyone to check primary sources on statistics and things like that I love that poo poo so drop me a pm

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That wasn't a referendum metaphor it was a hyperbolic example

If there's one thing we've learned today, its that two things mentioned together must always be compared to eachother. No matter what.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I enjoy your stats so please keep posting. And I used to liase with TNA so was nice to see again(yes, ex-public servant).

But i'm not going to thank you for the Gove/Pob Sex Tape before bed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Democracy isn't always good. It tends to enjoy making GBS threads on minorities, as evidenced by the history of literally any minority group.

It is also not final. You can vote on something again if circumstances change, there is no rule that every issue only gets one vote ever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The thread Referendum has delivered a win for Pissflaps by a slim margin, who has delivered a Brexit deferral plan involving an Adele/Elton John duet.

Under FPTP rules, this represents the will of the entire thread. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Time to leave this trash fire of a Month in the past and look ahead to our glorious future with PM May and Brexit negotiations and the collapse of an opposition cabinet. We're living history in the making folks. And most of history is Good and Cool, right?

New thread here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

The thread Referendum has delivered a win for Pissflaps by a slim margin, who has delivered a Brexit deferral plan involving an Adele/Elton John duet.

Under FPTP rules, this represents the will of the entire thread. I look forward to hearing more about it.

As Mod I am charged with enacting the will of the people, however because I don't want to I may just change the poll results and claim the will of the people has now been heard.

Edit: Also this post is super late and a mistake to even make. This satire writes itself.

• Locked thread