Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Well, someone's mighty defensive.

So then he's totally useless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TwoPair posted:

Apparently Harley Quinn just introduced a knockoff of Deadpool, but there's no way in the world I'm reading it. You could argue that Steel is totally ripping off Iron Man. And Aquaman's been stealing Namor's schtick since the 40s. Namor's just lucky he didn't have an embarrassing cartoon back in the day or every writer would write a story about how "No Namor is cool"

Seriously, the only times I can remember people actually making fun of Aquaman are Seanbaby's stuff about Superfriends and one sketch on The State. Was there more or are writers still really up in arms about a couple dumb jokes from the 90s?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't know what writers think they're proving when they write a comic based on things people who hate the character have said. Nobody who thinks Aquaman is dumb is going to pick up an Aquaman comic, idiots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JoshTheStampede posted:

Seriously, the only times I can remember people actually making fun of Aquaman are Seanbaby's stuff about Superfriends and one sketch on The State. Was there more or are writers still really up in arms about a couple dumb jokes from the 90s?

Nah, he gets used as as the butt of a joke a bit eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuvcNGud-hE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsMZ6XxEfDU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I would say that the one nut they've never been able to crack, which they periodically continually try to replicate is Spider-Man. I largely think it's basically impossible for DC to do so, but DC has tried on and off for decades at this point to have their own S-M, even though the overarching genetics of the company makes it basically impossible.
Wally West is a pretty great DC version of Spidey as is Jaime Reyes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

I would say that the one nut they've never been able to crack, which they periodically continually try to replicate is Spider-Man. I largely think it's basically impossible for DC to do so, but DC has tried on and off for decades at this point to have their own S-M, even though the overarching genetics of the company makes it basically impossible.

I believe Chris Sims made the case that they managed it in their own way with Wally West as the Flash, but they've obviously walked that back a couple of times now.

I reckon Impulse could have been Ultimate Spider-Man a decade or so early.

X-O posted:

Well, someone's mighty defensive.

Aquaman, not Superman, is the character most emblematic of DC Comics. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 30, 2016

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

BigRed0427 posted:

After finally getting all four volumes of the Deluxe edition of The Invisibles, i'm giving it another shot after reading the first few trades during college. God...drat this thing is dense. It's like every major theme Grant Morrison ever had in his works is allowed to run wild here, and I'm not even done with the first volume, only up to 23: Things Fall Apart. If you ever do try to attempt this, go into it like a Thomas Pychon novel, don't try to think about how all these different scenes tie together, just focus on what's happening now.

Quoting from way back, I recently re-read all of The Invisibles, and all I can say is you gotta really like Morrison. There isn't really a huge over arching story, there isn't really consistent lovable characters. It is pretty much a lab for Morrison to gently caress around in. You want 10 issues on the nature of time? You want some weird poo poo about reality and how we relate to words? All of the actual plot of any arc can be summed up in a few words, but we get pages of side stories and explanations and sexy sex.

In summation I really liked it but I would like Morrison just going on about poo poo he likes just as much

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Mark Millar is really nice in person.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Did he show you what evil dick tastes like?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

Mark Millar is really nice in person.

That's very inconvenient for my personal dislike of him!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gently caress yeah dudes. Just secured a five day weekend. The GF and her kids are gone until next Thursday or Friday. Just need to make it past the doctors to see if I go to a urologist and the mojitos will flow.

God drat I'm excited. I don't know what to do. Go to the bar tonight, binge a show, read something, play through some backlog, or head out to the 4th of July carnival.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aw, that's great man. I vote show binging. I've still got like, a million things to catch up on.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Aw, that's great man. I vote show binging. I've still got like, a million things to catch up on.

Same, but it is kinda overwhelming. I haven't been alone and able to do my own thing since 2012.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Luckily I already watched the manga so i can just enjoy gifs of JoJo on tumblr, but I need to get on the latest episodes of Space Patrol Luluco and Preacher, and I'm a whole season down on Concrete Revolutio.

The last show I really managed to follow along with as it was airing was season 2 of Better Call Saul, which was...disappointing, if I'm being honest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

gently caress yeah dudes. Just secured a five day weekend. The GF and her kids are gone until next Thursday or Friday. Just need to make it past the doctors to see if I go to a urologist and the mojitos will flow.

God drat I'm excited. I don't know what to do. Go to the bar tonight, binge a show, read something, play through some backlog, or head out to the 4th of July carnival.

If your flow is mojitos then yeah probably see the doctor.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Of course not. Dolphins are not fish.

There's no such thing as a fish, anyway.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Luckily I already watched the manga so i can just enjoy gifs of JoJo on tumblr, but I need to get on the latest episodes of Space Patrol Luluco and Preacher, and I'm a whole season down on Concrete Revolutio.

The last show I really managed to follow along with as it was airing was season 2 of Better Call Saul, which was...disappointing, if I'm being honest.

Watch all of Ouran High School Boys Club or Sabagebu!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's no such thing as a fish, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5mOT57ghM

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Watch all of Ouran High School Boys Club or Sabagebu!

My problem is that I already have too much on my plate :gonk:

Although I have already seen Ouran and was in fact just defending it to a friend who didn't like it last night.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

:rowdytrout:
https://youtu.be/OZOD0JxNE_g

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

My problem is that I already have too much on my plate :gonk:

Although I have already seen Ouran and was in fact just defending it to a friend who didn't like it last night.

How can anyone not like that masterpiece?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

How can anyone not like that masterpiece?

I told him we weren't friends anymore and I still haven't decided if I was joking.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I stand by my statement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhwcEvMJz1Y

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I told him we weren't friends anymore and I still haven't decided if I was joking.

Don't throw away a friend over that. Now if he said Ghost Hound was bad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

END ME SCOOB posted:

I was going to make one about Static/Milestone but eh. Next month is mine then.

I reiterate my flag-planting and will post this after I get back from work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You'd better.

And get me pictures of that Spider-Man!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Which lucky goon is creating the new discussion thread?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Which lucky goon is creating the new discussion thread?

Did you ignore the two posts before yours?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I did not see them. Thank you volunteer End Me Scoob

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

Justifiably.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Who is doing the op for July?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I will end y'all I swear.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't have confidence in you simply because there's been 15 hours of July already and all you're doing is making excuses about something you had a month to prepare for. Unacceptable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

I don't have confidence in you simply because there's been 15 hours of July already

It's still June on the best coast/left Coast

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's still June on the best coast/left Coast

It's cool. Lex is going to push it into the ocean soon enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It's cool. Lex is going to push it into the ocean soon enough.

I'm trying to find the Space ghost ewhere Zorak convinces him to pull a Superman to reset time then when he gets back says "you idiot, you flew the wrong way, we've been here for 3 hours."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to find the Space ghost ewhere Zorak convinces him to pull a Superman to reset time then when he gets back says "you idiot, you flew the wrong way, we've been here for 3 hours."

I would have been happy with an Otisburg reply but this will satisfy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's still 11:43 on the best coast, baby

• Locked thread