Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
So walking home today this leaf jumped up at me a scared the crap out of me! Upon closer inspection it was a moth. Unfortunately this male Polyphemus moth has one of his wings pretty badly damaged. Is there anything I can do to help? He is very much alive and quite feisty! There are a few tutorials online for making a prosthetic wing attachment. :science: but I don't know....

What should I do!

Mrs.Nameko fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Mrs.Nameko posted:

So walking home today this leaf jumped up at me a scared the crap out of me! Upon closer inspection it was a moth. Unfortunately this male Polyphemus moth has one of his wings pretty badly damaged. Is there anything I can do to help? He is very much alive and quite feisty! There are a few tutorials online for making a prosthetic wing attachment. :science: but I don't know....

What should I do!

I'd say it's goners if you don't keep it yourself and let it live in a cage.

Unfortunately moths and butterflies are VERY sensitive to wing damage.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 5, 2016

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Mrs.Nameko posted:

male Polyphemus moth

Good on you. You actually know his gender! Hopefully he's already fertilized some eggs. I would definitely keep him as a pet too. Even with the damaged wing he's gorgeous.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Yeah. I volunteer at a butterfly house and we take any injured butterflies and gently move them into the bushes. ...to die a quiet hopefully peaceful death away from the view of onlookers and potential kids with sticks.
(I love my job except for kids who blatantly disobey the one rule of the butterfly house - Do not touch the drat butterflies! )

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
I was not able to keep him. However! I had some very lightweight yet stiff crepe material floating around my craft stuff so I made him some new wings! All I had was white though. A successful take off was had!!! I hope got to meet up with a few more chick moths! :wiggle:

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Mrs.Nameko posted:

I was not able to keep him. However! I had some very lightweight yet stiff crepe material floating around my craft stuff so I made him some new wings! All I had was white though. A successful take off was had!!! I hope got to meet up with a few more chick moths! :wiggle:

Aren't you clever. I like it.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Mrs.Nameko posted:

You're great.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mrs.Nameko posted:

This is amazing.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

Mrs.Nameko posted:

Feel good thread of the year

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

i hope my friend dahmer has a happy ending

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That actually worked? Good for him except it's not the best campflauge but still beats being stuck unable to fly.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Mrs.Nameko posted:

:3:

best twist ending possible

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Now he's gonna get all the honeys.

• Locked thread