Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I hope you "win it at home " rear end holes are happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

Pens also had close to 50 shot blocks

Shot blocking is a skill

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Zatkoff time

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Put in MAF for Game 4 Pens. Do it.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
This would be embarrassing if the Pens didn't already have 2 wins.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Gotta lose a game to win it in 5

Pens need to win game 4 (they wont) otherwise Sharks take it.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Aggro posted:

Put in MAF for Game 4 Pens. Do it.

N-n-n-no....... No... Just no.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RC Cola posted:

you're welcome

you're not allowed to wear anything else now btw

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This game was nothing to get worked up over for either side. I guess the ice was really lovely but there was a ridiculous number of random bounces tonight. So many pucks just skipped right through Penguins sticks/skates.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

lightpole posted:

Nah

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lightpole posted:

I think the Sharks can win 4 and 5 and the Penguins will still win the Cup

e: well maybe not because if they lose 3 in a row the Pens will probably put MAF back in

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Good job Sharks

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

AAB posted:

N-n-n-no....... No... Just no.

(I am a Sharks fan)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Murray made a lot of really good saves this game, but the 3 he let in were kinda soft.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Aggro posted:

(I am a Sharks fan)

I don't care. The answer is still no. Ain't nobody in their right mind wants to watch MAF

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DrunkPanda posted:

I don't care. The answer is still no. Ain't nobody in their right mind wants to watch MAF

Besides literally everyone in the world who is not a Penguins fan

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hockey Newbie here. Whats so bad about this MAF guy?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

th3t00t posted:

Murray made a lot of really good saves this game, but the 3 he let in were kinda soft.

1st goal wasn't on him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He's a blooper reel.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He's allegedly bad at playoffs.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGz9UoKOKo

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I won't give Murray a lot of flack. Kid is playing in the most stressful portion of his career and he was supposed to be a backup. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he's so calm is that he has a bottle of Zoloft waiting for him in the locker room.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

MAF is a pretty good goalie but wildly inconsistent and he plays the puck the way a kitten plays a catnip-stuffed mouse toy.

If Saves That Make You Scream "HOW THE gently caress DID HE STOP THAT?" were a stat MAF would lead the league by a mile over the past 10 years.

If Goals Allowed That Make You Scream "WHAT THE gently caress WAS HE DOING?" were a stat MAF would also lead the league in that by a mile over the past 10 years.

Matt Murray is (IMO) also a pretty good/not great goalie, but his style is a much better fit for what the Penguins do.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think the Sharks can win 4 and 5 and the Penguins will still win the Cup

e: well maybe not because if they lose 3 in a row the Pens will probably put MAF back in

I don't think the Pens playstyle favors them over the Sharks th longer this goes on.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Vincent Van Goat posted:

He's allegedly bad at playoffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lightpole posted:

I don't think the Pens playstyle favors them over the Sharks th longer this goes on.

Joe Thornton died 48 hours ago.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Out shooting the Sharks in every game doesn't favor them?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

No see the Penguins are bound to get tired eventually just like people have been saying every round whereas the old men on the Sharks will be just peachy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lightpole posted:

Yeah that's what the Caps and Lightning fans said too, but there's no good reason I know of why this should be true. All known evidence suggests that not being a Physical Team does not in fact make the Penguins wear down faster than their opponents. If anything the Penguins' extreme possession numbers are more likely to wear their opponents down than the vice versa, playing defense is always more tiring than playing offense. (Anecdote that is not data: Victor Hedman was playing huge minutes and looked steadily worse and worse as the Tampa-Pittsburgh series went on.)

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah that's what the Caps and Lightning fans said too, but there's no good reason I know of why this should be true. All known evidence suggests that not being a Physical Team does not in fact make the Penguins wear down faster than their opponents. If anything the Penguins' extreme possession numbers are more likely to wear their opponents down than the vice versa, playing defense is always more tiring than playing offense. (Anecdote that is not data: Victor Hedman was playing huge minutes and looked steadily worse and worse as the Tampa-Pittsburgh series went on.)

Like, no offense, but I don't remember anyone saying that. If anything, the pens matched up well against a tampa team that was of a pass first mentality. The pens Stanley cup winning shot blocking strategy kept the lightnings defenseman from getting lucks through, which was heir strength. Honestly, you couldn't have matched up better. You were the 80's 49ers and the lightning were the 70's steelers. The fact that it went to 7 speaks wonders to tampas skill.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

There was definitely some talk about the Caps physicality wearing the Penguins down (maybe not here, though) but I don't remember anyone saying it about the Lightning either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yea, the Pens might not be as physical in the hit stats, but they are way more into the stick poo poo like shin chopping and wrist hits that wears on into a series.

• Locked thread