Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015
I was curious if anyone was into metal detecting at all? I've recently started to do it, I bought a detector on clearance at TSC and while it was okay I decided to upgrade to a little more high end dector. So far I've dug up most of my backyard but haven't ventured out to fields or public parks. I've found quite a few old coins, pull tabs, rusted tools and Matchbox cars from the late 60''s/early 70's ( my house was built in the 50's so I figured there'd be more).

So does anyone else do this and have better luck? I've thought about joining a local club here in Central Ohio but I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to it. Although I can see the benefits of doing so. I'm sure there has to be a few others on here that share this nerdy hobby.

Ultimo Hombre fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bend
Dec 31, 2012
coinshooting or nugget hunting? I've done plenty of gold but I've never been coinshooting.

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015
Just coins so far, actually I've been digging anything I've got a hit on. How do you nugget hunt? I wouldn't even know where to start looking to do that. I'd really like to try relic hunting.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
You detect where there's gold :cheers:. Well not quite that simple, but nearly. Same basic principles as relic or coin hunting, research until you find a likely spot then go out and detect it. You generally need a pulse induction detector as the grounds more mineralised and you end up digging a lot of three foot deep holes for trash, especially if you're working around old mines. I had a thread in ask/tell for a while http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654010 going into the details.
If you want to give it a go start by googling your area and gold, should point you in the right direction. Digging everything is a good idea in any case, but especially with gold discrimination isn't always accurate and trash will mask good signals.Post a photo of your haul mate, I'd like to see what you've got and I can't be the only one.

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks for the information, I'm definitely going to look into the thread and read up on gold in my area. I live I Ohio so I'd imagine since we had glacial movement there is gold. I think most of it around here is done by panning. Let me find some decent stuff and I'll post, not far from my house there was an old Civil War training camp/POW camp and I have received permission to detect on a spot that was the old train depot that supplied the camp.

Hopefully I'll find some decent stuff. Again thanks for the info bend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bend
Dec 31, 2012
any luck with that train depot mate?

• Locked thread