Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I have a 1997 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5L V6. It is running very rough, and has a persistent P0353 code -- Ignition Coil #3 Primary circuit.

I have the service manual and followed their troubleshooting chart, to no avail.

I replaced plugs and wires, then the coil pack, then the PCM. The new PCM runs clean of codes for about 15-20 seconds, then lights up with just P0353.
I discovered and repaired numerous vacuum leaks.
Fuel pressure is fine; and I replaced the fuel filter just in case. All the injectors have the same resistance within .3ohm (13.2+.1-.2).

I have the coil pack connector pulled apart, and when I touch the multimeter to the #1 cylinder pin, the car hesitates, sometimes dying. Wiggling this wire sometimes also causes the car to die. However, the car starts and runs just fine (on 4 or fewer cylinders) with this wire de-pinned.

I've got great continuity between the PCM and all the driver pins, and wiggling the wires, connectors, pins, harness, etc, doesn't cause any hiccups in resistance. I've got a solid 0.1 ohm on the ground pin.

I'm completely at a loss as to what to do next, if anything.

Normally, I wouldn't mind taking a bit of time with this, but now I need the car to get to and from work (25 miles of interstate one-way) and would prefer the thing not to die on me, or explode, or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
So you post about all these things that happen yet you haven't checked the wiring for that coil. Its not hard to do and you sound like your putting the vag on a pedestal. When often the easy answer is the correct answer. Check the wiring for that coil. It obviously the problem. Also get rid of that terrible car before the head gasket takes a dump.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SouthsideSaint posted:

So you post about all these things that happen yet you haven't checked the wiring for that coil. Its not hard to do and you sound like your putting the vag on a pedestal. When often the easy answer is the correct answer. Check the wiring for that coil. It obviously the problem. Also get rid of that terrible car before the head gasket takes a dump.

It's a coil pack/ignition module. There is one four-pin connector from the PCM and six spark plug outputs. I have two new-from-Autozone units that both perform identically. How would I test that coil alone?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah you need to test te h wires that are going to the coil it's self. Its been a few years since I wrenched on one of these poo poo boxes but just YouTube a how to on coil testing.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Pull the engine harness connector apart *passenger firewall area* and clean it. Unfortunately my 95 fsm wont be any help. Ill see if I can find a 97 copy for ya. try swapping the 1st pack driver pin to the 2nd pack *moving appropriate spark plug wires* and see if the hesitation moves. I would also check the pin at the pcm connector for the coil connectors. If they are fine then I'd run a jumper wire to bypass the 1st coil wire that's in the harness.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I pulled the harness apart and cleaned it. Same code.

I depinned the coil pack connector and swapped #1 and #3 drivers, and the plug wires (3/6, 1/4), and the code went away.

I swapped everything back, and the code is still gone.

I drove it around for an hour, doing ridiculous things, driving through water, over bumps, high RPM, low RPM, cruise control, a/c on/off, heat on/off, defrost on/off.

Code still gone.

No clue what fixed it, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
My 95 Intrepid self repairs all the time. I think its part christine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I was having nonsensical electrical gremlins due to dirty fuse contacts not that long ago. Stuff that just didn't make sense. It's really likely that pulling everything apart knocked loose some corrosion or dirt from the connectors.

• Locked thread