Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Halcyonic Knights, Issue #1
Influence Sheet!

It's a beautiful sunny summer day in Halcyon City, the City of Heroes(TM) - It's a shame you're not getting the chance to take full advantage of it, hanging out in your base or just touring the city, but, well... remember when you got together for a fight against Syndicate military-grade robots? The ones that were used in a turf war against the Dragons Gang in the docks? Well, the Dragons didn't take kindly to that. Through one of Showstopper's sources, you knew they were planning something big, and that gave you an opportunity to get the drop on them and stop them cold before they could do whatever they're planning to do!

At least, that was the plan. Things are a lot more complicated now, because whether they got spooked or bored or just felt like starting a fight, a minor argument between Dragons and members of another criminal group (The Halcyon City Kings, or HCKs) turned into a full blown turf war in the dockyards - and you're in the middle of it. Again. Déjà Vu, much? There's a lot of crates and heavy machinery set around every, cluttering the space and giving ample cover - which goes both ways, it benefits and impedes not just you, but the Dragons and HCKs...

Halcyon City Dockyards

Everyone: How did you get separated from the others in this chaotic melee? Who are you currently fighting? How do you plan to make sure this fight goes much smoother than last time?

Red Fox: How do you think the Halcyon Herald is going to spin 'Red Fox fights superpowered criminal gangs' into painting you as even more of a menace? Do you have anything in mind to show the world that they're wrong about you? What obligation has been most difficult for you to keep up while you've been a superhero?

All-American Girl: Are you glad to be fighting these guys, or wish you were taking on actual supervillains, the ones with evil lairs and ridiculous names? You were narrowly defeated in the leadership contest by a technicality (no voting for yourself). How do you plan to show that you should totally be the leader of the knights?

Quixzot: Does this fight feel better, since you're not fighting any robots this time? Speaking of which, have you tried to make any progress with Red Fox recently? How do you try to impress them during this fight?

Showstopper: So... you know more about the Dragons than anyone here, who's someone in particular that the Knights have to watch out for? Why are they so dangerous? How does it feel to be fighting against some of your old crew?

Viscosity: So - you missed the first fight the Knights had. How are you feeling about this being your first taste of superhero action with the team? Who are you trying to impress, to show you definitely belong here? (Or are you not trying to impress anyone at all?)

Synapse: So it seems you're the leader of the Knights at the moment. How do you feel about that? Do you think you deserve their faith in you? If so, how do you plan to show it was deserved? What are you most worried about in this fight?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Freak: +1 Danger: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: +2 Mundane: +1
Potential 0/5

I'm dashing through the crates, grumbling about the current predicament. I guess it's no real surprise that the Dragon's would have it out for me after I ditched them to go legit ...ish. But, hell, Ginormous Georgie (called that because his head is a few sizes too big for his otherwise normal body) took one look at me and yelled, "It's Ricky! Jump him!" Which, you know, ow. Kinda hard to not take that personally. Especially since Georgie showed me the ropes with this super science thing. I've branched out into my own interests since then, but I still appreciated the help. Of course, I don't appreciate it so much that I'm gonna hang around and get my neck wrung! As four of them rush me, I see that they brought Brick along. Which, poo poo, that's gonna be a problem. He isn't too smart, but he's big, buff, and doggedly loyal to Georgie. Oh, and he also can turn into stone. He can't move or anything when he's stone, but just falling on people is enough most of the time.

As for fighting the old crew? It's... yeah... it's a little weird. FIrst off, if they had toys like this when I was still running with them, I might have stuck it out! Seriously, this poo poo looks top of the line! Second, I... guess I still sort of like them. I mean, I hung out with them all the time, and I know they've gotta do something big to prove that they're not chumps, or else they're gonna be a laughing stock down on the docks. So, I'm a bit conflicted on this to start. At least there's plenty of Kings to pound on if I lose the last of my pursuers. Because, seriously, gently caress those guys. The Dragons aren't on the up and up, yeah, but they don't shake down poor people for protection money like the Kings have been doing. That's why they call themselves the Kings. You live on their turf, you gotta pay your "taxes."

All that aside, I've lost all of them but Harriet. She goes by Psych, but I call her Harriet because it pisses her off. And all those warm fuzzies I've been confliced about? Yeah, none of them apply to her. She's always been an rear end. Not really a bad person, I guess, but she always busted my chops for trying to get a music career going. Talking about how I was never gonna get anything done, and I should just stick to making gadgets for Dragons. And, well, she's still yelling after me about my stupid guitar and how it's a waste of time and everything. Only now, she's waving around those energy blades of hers. You know, like those psi blades in Starcraft. Anyway, I'm dashing through the maze of boxes when I get my brilliant idea. Not only will it get her off my back, but there's a certain... poetic justice to it. I turn round a blind corner, dropping a few mini-speaker I made. They're a little device that does right what you think it does. They're really handy for impromptu shows, but I've got another idea in mind for them. After dropping them, I duck behind a set of crates, just in time to catch a glance at her confused mug. She growls in anger and then start slashing up the crates trying to find me.

As she draws closer to the speakers, I can't help it. I snicker, anticipating how hilarious this is going to be. That laughter is enough to get her to walk towards the speakers. I slap the paired mic onto my guitar and start shredding . The speakers explodes with sound waves, launching her end over end into a pile of crates. Don't think it really hurt her or anything, but she's half buried in boxes and fumbling to get back on her feet without poking her eye out.

Then, I say into the coms, "That solo was me, if anyone's wondering. Don't worry, I'll be here all night!"

Are you watching closely?
!r 2d6+2
Capfalcon, 7+2 = 9

Choosing:
Expose a weakness or flaw
Confuse them for some time

Also! Good to be back! :D

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 7, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Freak: -1 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Okay first off, who made that rule in the first place? I didn't. No one agreed to that, because it's stupid. You should vote for whoever the best is, not whoever the second best is if the best is you. And I'm pretty sure everyone just voted for Synapse because they've got crushes on him (because he's super handsome). Anyway, I'm sure he'll do a fine job, he just won't do as good of one as I would. If I can finish enough of this fight on my own, maybe someone else will vote for me, but I doubt it. Everyone who didn't is probably all like 'oh she doesn't have superpowers, she couldn't possibly lead us'.

Not like these guys have superpowers either though. Most of em anyway. Fighting people who are bigger threats would be nice, but it's not like these gangs aren't a menace to society, so stopping them is unambiguously a heroic thing to do! There was enough people either with powers or weird tech things that might as well have been that our team got forced to scatter behind whatever cover was nearby, and from there we all got separated. I thought someone was following along with me, but I must have lost them when I was chasing down a pair of Kings who were hauling off a box instead of fighting. Figured it must have been important. I got them with a pair of stunshots after a bit, but the box was sealed too tight for me to open without risking damaging what was in side or wasting a lot of time, so I'll just have to check it later.

Since then, I've climbed up to the top of one of these cranes -well not top, but one of those control booth places- since it gives a commanding view of the fight, load glueshots into my gun and start unloading on whatever pockets of fighting gang members I can see from up here, which is a lot. I rain down glueshots across the docks, hopefully trapping many of them in place.

<godfish> unleash powers
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 3-1 = 2

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: 0 | Dan: +3 | Sav: 0 | Sup: 0 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

This is so cool. We're fighting two gangs, some of the people here kinda sorta have powers, and I'm leaping and sprinting and wallrunning around this crazy dockyard having the time of my life. I'm sure whatever happens here is going to get blamed on me somehow - why won't the Herald just go out of business already - so I've got a great plan for this: I'll take on the biggest and toughest looking person I can find here, whoever's causing the most damage (that isn't on our side). There's bound to be cameras all around, which means they'll be footage of us (and therefore me) being heroic. Even if the herald won't mention anything, other newspapers might comment on it, TV shows might air some of the fight footage even. It'd be so cool if we went viral.

Maybe it'll turn my mom's opinion of me, er Red Fox, around as well. Maybe. Turns out a "criminal" stealing a "valuable prototype" from a place where she works - and got me an internship - may have not exactly improved her opinion of my alter-ego. Kinda makes my internship at Camelot Corp interesting when half the employees really hate me, and there's a tip-line setup for anything anyone heres about Red Fox. Not great, basically.

A wild swing from the musclebound goon I'm up against interrupts my thoughts, kinda. Guess his name's Brick? Someone shouted that earlier towards him, so probably. Anyways, he's crazy strong and can turn into stone, if him punching through a shipping container with a stonefist is indicative of anything. Luckily it looks like it's got a cooldown, is fortunate - I'm strong, but not like, smash giant boulders with a single punch strong. He roars in frustration as I dodge yet again, aiming a furious punch so easy to evade I flip over it. Still, I'm being too relaxed - this might be fun, but I've got to be serious about it. Gotta think of this like a final exam or a progression raid and actually focus.

Switching Mundane with Danger for the rest of the session via The Mask.

My mask's electronics scramble my voice aloud and over the comms channel the team uses - and I'm speaking over both at the moment, balanced in a wide stance on top of a crane arm and looking down at my foe. "Oh? Glad I got the slow, dumb type. Rejoining you all soon." Not really nice, but he is sort of trying to hurt me, so fair's fair? Showstopper would probably say something like that. So would Quixzot, but only on accident.

He does't seem to like that description, but that's the point. Let's see if All American can take out her foe as quick as I can - 'cuz just watch this. Just as he starts to bluster something and charge forward I'm vaulting over him, grinning under my helmet as he turns to follow me. "Hello." It looks like I'm going to wind up a punch, but he's ready for it. All part of my plan (I think, going on reflexes mostly!)

Instead, I leap up, spinning so as to be able to kick off the steel beam overhead, with the end resulting that I get to land right behind this lumbering jerk almost certainly too fast for him to have seen. "And goodbye!" I bet I look and sound awesome! Time for this guy to get rekt. Let's see what's quicker - this kick I have going at his head, or his dumb stone power. Because if it's me, it's lights out Stoneguy. Brickman? The Mason! Whatever, soon to be Unconscious Guy!

<Rauri> Directly Engage Brick
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 2+3=5
<Rauri> :x
Well lol that's not a great start. Marking potential!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 7, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Freak: +2 Danger -1 Savior 0 Superior +2 Mundane 0
Conditions: None
Potential: 0/5
Hold (Belong In Two Worlds):

It feels like it's been absolute ages since we've been in a good knock down brawl! Aaah, I didn't come all this way and join a superhero team to sit around- not to confuse, though, I can't say I hate photoshoots or the limelight or peaceful times at all! There's just something so thrilling, something that only comes out when the circuits fire and the twitch and the heat of something PASSIONATE arises- and what better than a good old fight? What better than to fly, to act, to dream?

Many things! But those aren't what we're doing right now, and they're not important. We're here to fight! And I'm already prepared, zipping through crate and through alleyway on my jets, as The Terrible Trio follow me. They're actually one person- sort of? Apparantly their power is 'permanently being split into three people who share senses', and honestly it's weird that humans think that's something that's odd, my people share senses ALL THE TIME. It's not like it's that hard to send the eye feeds to each other? Can, can humans just not do that? I guess biology really is inferior, in some aspects. I bet Synapse could do it.

The three of them, all tall and wiry and FAST, faster than me- another part of the power? are shooting after me, chasing me, trying to pin me down. Well, that won't work, for more than one reason. First off, this place is a maze- while three of them have an advantage, I've played 'Pac Man' with All American Girl- the cheese wheel/Robot can definitely escape the ghost/gangsters with a little luck, ingenuity, and planning- in fact, I'm prolonging the chase as I zip back and forth, turning back on myself and contorting my chassis into strange and unusual shapes to slip through small passages- to get an eye on their strategy, and buy time for my big surprise.

<NeaPhone> Quixzot, Assess
<capfalcon_work> I mean, I'd vote for cruises. They're one of the best ways to spend a vacation
<NeaPhone> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> NeaPhone, 9+2 = 11[
What here is the biggest danger?
How can I best end this quickly?

And then, all at once I leap into the air, flying straight up as a massive shadow falls over the battlefield- well, not /massive/, but pretty big. See, it'd taken a while, but I've finished my big surprise. Namely, I fixed my big asset, the one none of the team has ever seen-
My spaceship, the Rocin! Shaped like a heart, covered in mechanical bits and bobs, with easy access magnetic plates modified for Red Fox and All American Girl to make use of!

As I quickly squirrel up onto the chassis, bracing myself there (for I don't really have time to get inside it, yet), intertwining my wires and mechanics into it, letting the data flow in, an extension of my body- I comptemplated the other big advantage that my ship had. It was fast, it was maneuverable, and most importantly...

It has an /absurd/ amount of weaponry.

<NeaPhone> Woo. Quixzot, unleash powers. directly engage, Nown approved
<NeaPhone> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> NeaPhone, 7+2 = 9
Impress/frighten/surprise the opposition!

"Get ready, everyone!" I shout, amplified by dozens of speakers within my body and within the ship, so that the whole battlefield may hear, may prepare for the grandest of shows, the most wonderful of symphonies- "It's SHOWTIME!" And with that word my arsenal unleashes, beams and rays of all the colors of the rainbow unleashing themselves down, striking the dock in dozens and dozens of places, bombarding the Terrible Trio in infinite rays of color and destruction! Don't worry- my beams don't so much incinerate as transfer force! (It's an old Dulcinean Trick) It'll hurt, but they'll be fine. Unless a crate falls on them I guess. That would be... bad.

... I should have thought this through better! Oh well- I hope Red Fox sees, I'm sure she'll love it- I only waited this long so I KNEW she would, otherwise I might not have pulled the ship in at all!

Nea fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 10, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Freak +3, Danger +1, Savior +1, Superior -1, Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5, Conditions: Angry

So, I'd heard about the initial raid, and I knew Showstopper used to hang out with the Dragons, but these HCK guys showing up really made things confusing. They were just a normal gang, no big heavy power users, but that didn't make them less dangerous. For one thing, there were a LOT of them, like, they outnumbered us 3-to-1. For another thing, they brought weapons. Not just your average weapons either. Anti-super weapons. EMP-grenades, sonic disruption guns, freeze rays, that kinda thing. They were the cheap versions, nothing that'd be too hard to get, and they were probably supposed to be for taking out the Dragons, not us, but man they were annoying!

The maze of shipping containers was easy to get lost in, and I got separated from the others pretty quickly. I ran into a group of the HCK goons, and they just opened fire on me. Bullets went through my suit and lodged inside my chest, but they couldn't do any real damage. "Hey!" I yelled. "I'm not with the Dragons, you idiots!"

"We don't care, freak!" One of them yelled back. He was tall and fat, and his blonde hair was shaved except around a mohawk that was shaped like a crown. "This is Kingdom turf!"

"Jody! Jody! Jody!" yelled his buddies.

"Freak?!" I yelled back. I kicked one of the empty shipping containers open and stretched both of my arms out like lassos, long enough to grab 'Jody' by the collar. Then I dragged him back to me and threw him in the container, closed it, and bent the bars so he couldn't get out. "The King's been deposed," I said, hoping I sounded super-cool and that Showstopper might notice, though of course he was probably on the other side of the docks... Oh well.

They unloaded their weapons on me as soon as their boss was out of the way, but no one had anything with enough of a spread shot to do any real damage to me. The bullet holes just slurped closed as soon as they were made. I was going to be coughing out slugs for a week. Ugh!!!

---
Directly Engaging, Danger: 6+1 = 7! Taking something from the Kings, Their Leader. Using my Not Human Enough move to mark Angry and choose a second option, resist or avoid their blows.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane +0
Doom: [_] [_] [_] [_] [_]

+Okay guys, I don't hear any distress, but keep me appraised of your locations. If things really heat up -and I'm not saying they will - retreat towards the red HYK Industries crane. Copy?+

I look up at the crane a dozen yards away from me. A big landmark should work, right? drat it, we're all scattered across the docks at random, and between trying to keep an eye on Showstopper, seeing how Viscosity's doing so I can figure out what she should be doing in the future, and maintaining some semblance of open and clear communication, it's getting very, very difficult to keep plucking flying bricks, boxes, and the occasional bullet out of the air as I wade through the air a few stories above the ground. I wanted a good supervisory position, okay? And nothing's gone wrong so far. That's all I can promise. They chose me, and they won't get hurt before I do.

But in the back of my mind, I'm worried about how this started. This is a huge-scale conflict, not some randoms stumbling into the wrong turf and making a fighting retreat. It seems engineered, somehow. Especially since this one Dragons member is currently spider-climbing up the side of the crane to take me out specifically. I start peeling her fingers off of the metal with my mind, ready to slow her inevitable fall with more telekinesis.

Directly engaging.
Jolinaxas !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 7+1 = 8. I'll resist/avoid the incoming blow..

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Showstopper: Psych carefully staggers to her feet, swearing like a sailor and describing in detail all the things she's going to do to you and your guitar when she gets her hands on you, but she's very clearly off balance - probably has a ruptured eardrum or too - and the effect it has on her concentration clearly shows, as her energy blades flicker erratically - sometimes growing, sometimes shrinking, their edges blurry and fractured. She's nowhere near down for the count, but she's been set up perfectly for a one-two blow! What do you do?

Quixzot: The most dangerous person here, according to your scanners, has to be Ginormous Georgie, who appears to be the brains behind the Dragons. Taking him out would be a quick way to victory, but he's hiding out of sight for now... The Terrible Trio vanish under the Rocin's barrage, but they aren't beaten yet! When the smoke clears, there is one person where there were once three. Like they've merged, into one being with triple the power! What do you do?

Viscosity: Their weapons are useless against you as any more than an annoyance, and you think you can handle this group of Kings no problem... but you're not the only one fighting them. All-American Girl is firing glueshots from an crane operating box, until an errant shipping crate, thrown by someone with super strength, hits the base of the crane! The whole thing wobbles, and All-American Girl is thrown from her perch! What do you do?

Synapse: Her fingers are peeled off, but blue electricity arcs from her knuckles into the metal, travelling up towards you... though considering you're floating off the ground, it's not likely to hit you at all. The Dragon member still hangs onto the crane with her legs locked around an opening, but you have a solid chance to take her down - is she more important than keeping tabs on the situation the rest of your team is in? What do you do?

Red Fox: He's quicker, just. Must be a subconscious reflex thing. Your kick connects with solid stone - and is partially consumed by it, the stone growing around your foot. By the time you can jerk it out, there's a stone fist surging at you, sending you flying towards some shipping containers! Take a powerful blow. "Bye!" roars Brickman, before he heads off to fight someone else - though you can easily catch him if you want. What do you do?

All-American Girl: It's difficult to get good shots with so much cover, and then the world goes upside down as you're flung from your position by something. Take a powerful blow. And, uh, you're in freefall. What do you do?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potential 0/5

I mutter into the comlink, "Yeah, I copy. Just... eh, gently caress it. Nevermind." I was gonna say don't beat them up too bad, but I don't want the team thinking I'm having second thoughts about heroing, either. And even if we're playing hardball right now, it's not like the Knights are gonna cripple 'em or anything. I dunno, I'm probably overthinking this. Anyway, Harriet's going and reminding me why I just never liked her too much, and I'm ready to put her down for the count. I yell, "You want my guitar? Here, take it!"

Then, I charge forward and pull a Townshend, acting as if my guitar was a baseball bat and I'm swing for the fences. But, after getting one too many violent reviews of my music, I reinforced my guitar to the point that no one with anything approaching normal strength can break it. After I pop her up and hear the satisfying thud as she lands on the docks again, I jump up on a nearby crate, take a look around, and yell, "Who's next, ya pricks?!"

But... while I'm looking around for someone else to brawl with, I'm also eyeing all the crates that got busted open. There really is a lot of cool stuff here...

Capfalcon__ Directly engaging
Capfalcon__ !r 2d6
Disconnected
Capfalcon__ huh
Capfalcon__ !r 2d6
Krysmbot Capfalcon__, 8 = 8
Capfalcon__ Yay

Gonna trade blows and impress the opposition. Gotta make sure these punks know that I'm still not taking any poo poo from them.

Capfalcon Assess the Situation
Capfalcon !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot Capfalcon, 7+2 = 9

Who here is most vulnerable to me?
What here is useful to me? (since I've got a criminal mind!)

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 10, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Note to self - kicking solid stone, despite my awesome new powers, still really, really, really hurts!

Whatever freaky rock-power this Brick guy has, it acts fast - probably reflexive. No matter the specific mechanics, the basic points are that I did not manage to hurt him, I probably bruised by foot at the very least trying to, and turns out he's quicker with the counterpunch than I thought he'd be. Good thing I have to choose to transmit messages over this helmet, 'cuz the sound I made after that wasn't exactly the type of thing I'm going for with Red Fox's persona.

Rocketed towards some shipping containers with the force of his blast, I'd be in pretty big trouble if I didn't have awesome reflexes and superhuman agility... but since I've got those things, this is a piece of cake!

Got a 6 in irc earlier, so Red Fox doesn't actually suffer any consequences + marks potential.

Rather than impacting the shipping container, I land against it in a truly cool way, feet spread wide and utilizing my arms to help me stabilize against the container's side. Sort of a difficult thing to manage even with these impossible reflexes of mine, but looks like I pulled it off. I bet it looked badass too, which is a major plus for Red Fox. I mean... not quite as cool as Quixzot's ship, which I kinda spotted for a second while flipping backwards, but even still - everybody thinks ninjas are awesome, right? And that was a total ninja move just there.

Brick's got the bright idea to try and run off, which I can't blame him for. My first attack may not have worked, but I've got a pretty decent handle on how his power works now - I'm not making the same mistake again. And, making my life even easier, he promptly stumbles into one of the proximity smokebombs I dropped while I was dashing around earlier. They're keyed to the Knight's communicators now, though originally they were just designed to respond to this suit I stole. Since he's not wearing a communicator, it means the bomb goes off - and choking black smoke bursts forth instantly, blanketing our portion of the battlefield in a shroud.

Got a 9 on Dangerous Web, so creating an opportunity - Brick's been smokebombed, and won't be able to see for a bit.

Jumping from containter to container to catch up with where he is, I check in with the team real quick. "Nice one Quix - no one attack into the smoke, it's mine." Good thing I have super-senses and a stealthsuit with infared built into it, and he doesn't.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 10, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Okay, so Ginormous George- when I get a moment, I'll have to use my ship or myself to find them and track them down, after all, take them down, and we win, because we are the best and coolest heroes! Gosh, I love an easy fight! You get to show off, you get to have fun, heck, I've already taken down THREE opponents! I smile, laughing just a bit as I watch the smoke clear-

Only to reveal a Sinister Single where there was once a Terrible Trio! And they look really mean, and really nasty! I almost freak out, but then I remember a few things. Namely, I'm still in a ship, they're still on the ground, I've got a ton of guns, and they're standing in the exact same place that all of my beams were a moment ago.

Once more, my beams whirr to life- I don't even have to move, as they cascade down upon that position once more!

<Nea> Quix: DIRECTLY ENGAGE EVEN HARDER
<Nea> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Nea, 11+2 = 13
Avoid their blows, create an oppourtunity.

This time, it works better. Okay, now, while they're at the very least disoriented if not down for the count, I need to search out old Georgie- I grin, and lift one of my hands into the air, watching it bend and shift and whirr into a little fake bird, detaching from my body as another hand grows in it's place- and flying off to search after this 'George'!

<Nea> And now, unleash my powers
<Nea> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Nea, 5+2 = 7
Temporary or unstable.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

"Ahhhhh!" Oh poo poo oh poo poo I'm falling! I look around hurriedly, trying to figure out what happened to knock me off, eventually spotting a shipping crate crumbled against the side of the crane. Fuuuuuck, I was too busy looking up at the spaceship that showed up in the middle of our fight to see it coming, I could have avoided getting knocked off easily if I hadn't been! I pull out my sword as I fall and stab it hard into the side of the crane, slicing my way down and gradually slowing as I good. Phew!

With my safe decent apparently assured, I take the chance to vent some frustration. "Hey Quix, do you think you could warn us next time you're going to show up with a spaceship over the fight? I thought it was another enemy coming at us!" ...For about five seconds, before the design made it blindingly obvious whose ship it was. "It's a bit dangerous to let us think we're getting attacked because you wanted it to be a surprise or something!"

<godfish> take a powerful blow
<godfish> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> godfish, 8 = 8
<godfish> okay, fixing bit in Halcyon Knights to be rolling to provoke Quix to do something stupid to make up for messing up things for All American Girl
<godfish> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9+1 = 10
<godfish> .....
<godfish> >:I
also that was supposed to be a +2 because of influence, so 11

Unfortunately, focusing on complaining, I failed to notice that the beam my sword was cutting through ended about a foot later, and I was back to plummeting through the air towards the ground. Perfect.

<godfish> how many rolls can I fail
<godfish> unleash :v
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7-1 = 6
<godfish> thanks krysmbot

GodFish fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 12, 2016

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Honestly, as long as this Dragon's busy, I could care less about taking her down. A stance immediately justified as All-American Girl, in the span of about ten seconds, manages to both pick a fight with a team member and be so busy doing so that she doesn't think to adjust her descent strategy until it's far too late.

+AAG, heads up!+

Ignoring the distraction of the Dragon currently making her way back up the crane, I reach out with the force of my mind, but at this distance ensuring her descent will be tough, requiring most of my concentration. But I said I wouldn't let anyone get hurt, right?

Jolinaxas Unsure whether this is Defend Someone or Unleashing to reshape environment. If the latter, subtract 1.
Jolinaxas !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 5+2 = 7
If it's Defend, I'll expose myself to danger and add a Team to the pool.
If it's Unleash, I'll apparently have a team spent on it, as seen below :)

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 12, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

At first I was just happy to see that someone was backing me up, as several of AAG's glue shots pasted (hehe) the Kings to the sides of the shipping crates. But when I looked up and saw her falling, I freaked out and started running in that direction. She almost recovered it herself, but not quite.

Synapse was floating nearby, and I saw the fall slowing down but it wasn't enough, she was still going to crash really hard. I wasn't going to get there fast enough! But then I had an idea. I jumped on one of the crates and grabbed the front edge of it with both hands, then backed up, stretching my arms out like rubber bands. When I let go, the elastic...ness? Elasticity? Springy stuff, catapulted me forward into the air, straight for AAG. I caught her a few feet before she impacted, and we... ok we BOUNCED.

---

Going to say Lexi uses the Team point unselfishly to boost Synapse's roll so AAG lands safely.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Synapse, Viscosity, All-American Girl: With the combination of all your efforts, All-American Girl is safely caught in the bouncing embrace of Viscosity, rather than the hard concrete floor! And around you, the Kings are notable rattled by how quickly their leader was defeated and captured! While some try to free him, others are backing away, poised to cut their losses and flee! All-American Girl, how does it feel to have had to rely on your superpowered team-mates to avoid what would be a very painful injury? How do you try to repay them, or reassert yourself? Synapse and Viscosity, even if the Kings are close to routing, there's still the Dragons to deal with, and they're easily the more dangerous. Red Fox, Quixzot and Showstopper are engaging one each, but there's still the one Synapse was taking on and - somewhere - Georgie, to deal with. What do you do?

Showstopper: Harriet's down for the count, but she left a parting blow - a sideswipe at your mind, cutting deeper than her blades could - especially since it's a weaponized guilt trip about you turning your back on the Dragons! What form does this take, precisely? Do you recognize it as artificial, or does it have the ring of truth to it?
Take the Condition: Guilty

There aren't many pricks left, that you can see, but you know Georgie's not shown his face since the start of this fight. What dangerous trick of his do the Knights have to look out for?

Red Fox: As you predicted, Brick is at a disadvantage in the smoke. Turning your skin to stone doesn't do anything to clear your vision in a cloud of smoke! He grapples and swings wildly, but with such unfocused, unaimed attacks it's easy to avoid, giving you what should be an easy, free shot... so why does it feel like things aren't going to be that easy? Like you might have triggered a trap with your own trap? What do you do?

Quixzot: The Sinister Single is finally downed by this barrage, and your appendage flies off in search for this elusive Georgie... but you can't help but hear All-American Girl's retort over the comms. How do you react to that?
I'll fluff the result of your appendage searching for Georgie very soon, just want your reaction to this first.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

There's a lot of advantages to being able to perceive possible threats - and the correct responses to them - in your head, but unfortunately specificity isn't always one of them. Is it someone's plan for me to attack this guy? Does he have some ace in the hole? Is there some unknown phase two to this fight? I just don't know yet - and since I'd rather not get punched again, I'm not going to just dart in and attack him now. Ughhhh, this is so frustrating. This is the perfect opportuni... wait a minute. Of course!

Doing a backflip over one of his punches, I doubt he can keep up his stone form for much longer - it definitely seems to have a short cooldown between uses. I may not be able to see him, but I've got a theory I wanna test. I bet if I concentrate hard enough I'll be able to push my danger sense further than I have before, which means goodbye enemy trap and hello Lauren victory. Er, Red Fox victory.

<Rawri> Unleash Danger Sense
<Rawri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rawri, 8 = 8
It's temporary, but whatever trap it is she might be triggering, she'll have Danger Senses going to help avoid it.

It's clear to me now. Definitely going to get a headache later because I'm hearing, seeing, feeling a LOT more than I usually do right now, it's like every element of the battle gets my full attention. No matter what the Dragons have prepared, I'll be ready for it - and from how loudly Brick's stomping around inside the smoke, it's easy to tell where he is. Looking around super quickly for something heavy but not too heavy, it seems the best option is a barrel full of scrap metal. Plan is to hit this guy in the chest with it after his stone form drops, and hopefully he only breaks a rib or two at max - I don't want to kill anybody, just take him out of the fight.

Dashing over to the barrel and hefting it with one arm, I jump as high as I can overhead, briefly casting a shadow across a portion of the battlefield as I block the lights from Quix's ship. The very instant my danger sense alerts me that he's less of a threat - that his power's cooling down, in other words - I fling the barrel his way.

<Rawri> Directly Engage
<Rawri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rawri, 8 + 3 = 11
Avoiding counterattack, and intimidating opponent.

Landing atop a crane about thirty feet from his presumably-prone body, I call back to him over my shoulder. "If you're still conscious, Stay. Down. Next time I'm using something a lot heavier." Geez, I don't mean that - like I said I don't want to hurt him too bad - but if it stops him from fighting, it's all for the best. Now I just gotta go help my teammates out!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 16, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

While I'm waiting for my arm to ping me AAG comes on over the radio! Chastising me! But, but- I just wanted it to be fun, and dazzling, and good, and I thought it was, and I wrecked a villain! I thoughti t all went very well! I guess I need to do even more to make up for it! To help fight the bad guys and save the day! I mean, I'm doing pretty good, right?

So I just have to do even better! I think other people are doing less good, so Ill just, you know, get the attention of the baddies off of them! I think this is human 'chivalry', and while it can be not great, I think it can also be good, sometimes? Gah, I don't know! I just have to, have to do it, I think!

Along the form of my ship, spotlights flash and whirr to life, spraying across in incandescent colors, circling and moving in wonderful, eye catching patterns- before slowly pointing upwards, until all but those that can shine on me, moi, turn off, leaving me in the spotlight, in the sun, my moment to shine!

I wave my arms, lifting them into the air, and spread them across, waving to all who are assembled here! "Isn't there something you're supposed to be paying attention to here, boys, girls, and assorted?" I wink, bat my eyelashes, and grin- that'll get their attention!

<Neopie> Provoke anyone I can to FIGHT MEEEEE (not teammates, just the villains)
<Neopie> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Neopie, 6+2 = 8
They stumble, err, or overreact

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potential 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Ok, that's was a fuckin' dirty trick. I mean, I knew she was psychic, but prying into my brain and... making me... feel... things? Me? That's just hosed. I mean, maybe I'm feeling a bit of this on my own. I still remember the good times with these guys... but they hung me out to dry first! And there isn't any future for me here. And... it still loving hurts. drat it, Harriet. You're lucky you're already KO'd.

But, I'll worry about all this poo poo later. Just ignore it, and it'll go away. I grit my teeth and say into the com-link, "Took down Harriet. She's was the psycho chick with psi-blades who lead the charge after me. But seriously, guys,. We really gotta find Georgie. With all the tech lying around, he could be slapping together some really nasty poo poo."

Still... if I know Georgie... he's got a fuckin' binder of contingency plans. Dude's a paranoid mess at the best of times, but he's actually one of the only people to turn down the Syndicate. They didn't like that, but he told the Dragons that he was too close to them to even think about leaving. You ask me? He'd rather be the big fish in the small pond of the Dragons over being an average fish in the ocean of the Syndicate. But, he's been looking over his shoulder ever since he turned the Syndicate down. Don't know if he expected both us AND the Kings, though. That must be driving him up the wall.

...Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I really don't wanna be off on my own. I think Red Fox is the closest to me, as the others are mostly in the sky right now. I say, "Red Fox, I'm headed over to you. Don't think being by ourselves is a great idea right now."

What can I say? I gotta look out for my new crew.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

I've only got a little bit of time to keep the team together before I've got to concentrate on the Dragon on the crane.

+Let's give them a narrow target, Showstopper. Guys, if you can make it, head towards the crane under me as soon as you can. If you're not currently engaged, help someone else clean up. Remember, this isn't a retreat. I'm just making sure one of us doesn't get jumped.+

You know, I may have spent a little more time than I should have. Where the hell did she go?

[09:32] Jolinaxas Directly Engaging
[09:32] Jolinaxas !r 2d6+1
[09:32] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 5+1 = 6
Marking potential.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potential 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

"Fine, fine. I'll meet you there, Red Fox." ...Wait a second, something's not right. I do a quick mental count. Brick, Harriet, Georgie... aw poo poo, what happened to Cammie?

"Synapse, weren't you fighting Cammie? The person climbing up the crane? She's got chameleon skin, so if you don't see her unconscious somewhere, she's probably about to jump you. Keep an eye out."

I've got another little pang of guilt for ratting her out, but I ignore it. Synapse won't really hurt her or anything, and while Cammie's a real sweetheart, she's super loyal to Georgie. She'd knock Synapse out of the sky, but she'd feel awful about it. So, this way she doesn't feel guilty, and Synapse doesn't get hurt. Everyone goes home, if not happy, then with a minimum of broken bones.

That's when a little voice in the back of my head chimes in: Yeah, right. You've told better lies when you were shitfaced. You know you're just hoping to put all throw all the Dragons under the bus so your new friends can trust you. So you can throw THEM under the bus as soon as something better comes along.

...drat it, Harriet, I'm really gonna kick your rear end next time I see you.

Unselfishly spending a team to give Synapse a +1 by telling him what to look out for.
Pretty sure we have one left in the pool.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

This loving sucks. I'm never this clumsy normally, but of course the second time we go on a mission I just screw everything possible up. It occurs to me if I'd fired an expanding gel shot at the ground I could have gotten roughly the same landing as I did from Viscosity catching me, naturally only after she and Synapse had to go out of their way to rescue me. Such an idiot.

After bouncing to a stop and untangling myself from Viscosity's gooey limbs, I turn the comms off for a moment to give her a heartfelt thanks and then beg for a favor. "Thanks for saving me Visc, seriously, that would have been a terrible fall, I really appreciate it, but could you please, please not mention it to the others?" I give her a pleading look with wide, puppy dog eyes shining through my domino mask.

<godfish> provoke visc
<godfish> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9+1 = 10
add a team to the pool if you agree not to tell other people about how All American Girl screwed up, mark a condition if you don't

"It feels like half of them already don't think I should be here," mainly Red Fox, but she's vocal enough to count for like, five, "I don't want them all judging me for one slip up, you know?" I hesitate for a moment, staring down at my gun as I reload the chambers, then look back at her. "You don't think one thing is enough to judge if someone is a hero or not, right?"

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Er, I..."

I took a few seconds to un-squish my torso, which is not as easy as it sounds, and thought about it. Synapse was really the only person who needed to know, since he was the leader, and he already did. Plus, I liked AAG! Why would I go tell anyone bad stuff about her? I was still mad at the Kings, and now I was kind of mad that she'd think I'd tell on her!

"I wouldn't tell anyone even if you didn't ask, we're Teammates! That means we take care of each other," I said, unable to keep the annoyed tone out of my voice. You'd think I could control that since I don't even have vocal chords anymore but I can't, it's all just as automatic as it was when I was fleshy.

"And like, duh you should be here! If we didn't have you with us the news would just be all about how Red Fox and Showstopper are criminals, me and Synapse are monsters, and Quixxot should get shipped back to their home planet. And maybe we kind of are a bunch of criminals and monsters and we need somebody around who isn't."

Add a Team, which should take us back to 2 Team, and taking Influence over AAG.

"So yeah!" I said, bobbing back to my feet, I tried really hard to think of what Silver Bolts would say if he was here and pointed back towards the battle dramatically. "Now that the Kings are deposed, we got, um, some Dragons to... train!"

:swoon: He'd be so proud of me.

---
Will act once Quixx gets intel on Georgie.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: None

That cheers me up a lot! Though I can't help but notice she implied I should be part of the team because I'm the only one with good publicity (generally) and not because I'm actually hero quality. I'll take what I can get though, and it's hard to be annoyed at Viscosity. "Thanks Visc." I mean it! Following her point, I look at the fight, then back at her. "Shouldn't it be dragon slaying? We're Knights after all." I grin. "Anyway, lets get back in there!" If I'm going to be recongized as a hero beyond my lack of being a criminal or a threat, I need to not stand around talking and fight some bad guys again.

• Locked thread