Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
USSR DOOMSDAY
Radiation spreads to C5 & E1. Refugee appears A2.

Active: B4 & K7
Next: E6 & D3, refugee B3

US STARVATION
None.

US ACTION
Tricky, your response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

F5 Moves to F4.

F4 Threatens F3 to G3.

F4 Soldier moves to F3.

F3 Soldier Threatens G2 to G3.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US DOOMSDAY
Radiation spreads to B4 and K7.

Active: E6 & D3, refugee B3
Next: C3 & L5

USSR STARVATION
G3 - Three red civs die. :hb:
K7 - Neutral civ dies

USSR ACTION
Sine, you're up!

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 13, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

It doesn't look like there should be room for a defection on F3 since it's just dirty snow. Though I'm certainly not turning down any free converts. :v:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tricky posted:

It doesn't look like there should be room for a defection on F3 since it's just dirty snow. Though I'm certainly not turning down any free converts. :v:

You're right. Hectic day, brain not work right. Fixing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Goddam, this is looking awful.

H5 MOVE all -> H4
H4 THREATEN G4, shove 1 US civ to F4

The best defense is a good defense :pseudo:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

USSR DOOMSDAY
Radiation spreads to E6 & D3. Refugee appears B3.

Active: C3 & L5
Next: E6 & J7, refugee H8

US STARVATION
F4 - 4(!) blue civs die.

US ACTION
This is getting bloody. Tricky, can you make it bloodier?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

G5 pressgangs G6 to G5.

G5 Soldier moves to H5.

H5 Soldier Attacks H4, killing J4.

F4 moves all to G4.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
J4 was pregnant you monster

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

US DOOMSDAY
Radiation spreads to C3 and L5.

Active: E6 & J7, refugee H8
Next: D7 & F1

USSR STARVATION
J4 - 2 red civs die.
K5 - 1 red civ dies.
L5 - 1 neutral civ dies.

USSR ACTION
Sinewave, your actions?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
G3 MOVE all -> H4
H4 THREATEN G4, shove to G5
H4 THREATEN G4, shove to G5
H4 MOVE one civ -> G4

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Both radiation tokens bounce one space. Where would you like them, Sine? (Additionally, if you put a radiation token in H8, the refugee will also bounce one space, your choice.)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for the reminder; I declare F6 and H7 hereby befouled :shrek:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

USSR DOOMSDAY

Active: D7 & F1
Next: F7 & H1

US STARVATION
G5 - One blue civ flees to G6. 2 blue civs defect to G4

US ACTION
Tricky, your move.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'll forfeit.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That game was touch and loving go.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tricky posted:

I'll forfeit.

...that's slightly unexpected. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this game state, and why you forfeited. (I hope the answer isn't "I'm not having fun anymore.")

Also, do either of you think your answers to the questions have changed with this playthrough?

Do you feel this new version was better, worse, or irrelevant? Are there any significant problems you feel need addressed?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

G6 Soldier->G5, Threaten x3 would put Sine into a really rough situation, for sure. I think that he'll be able to Militarize say J5 and K2 next turn (depending on whether he wants to pressgang K2/J1 or set up for the kill on F3) and then pick my soldiers off in the upcoming turns while A2 and B3 sit off being useless. I could prolong the game, but I don't see any path to victory.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I was a little surprised myself at the forfeit, but I think I saw the same thing when I studied the board. I have more people, and there aren't any mass die-offs in waiting / clustered. So the US soldiers could shove my people around and herd them into starvation situations, but not faster than I could militarize any non-adjacents and engage in straight-up attrition.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
In this game, I think my efforts at rounding up neutrals earlier in the game and being slightly spread out were benefits. It caused me problems on some turns but was made up for by the couple good starvation stabs I got in at Tricky by hitting crowded hexes. I figured after the US militarize I couldn't keep up by trying to close a soldier gap (and radiation wasn't nipping at any heels yet) so I took every chance I had to deal attrition by starvation (and use the starvation mechanic to "save" a move here and there by having somewhere a civ could safely flee to).

I thought I was done for more than once though, I think the 3rd, 4th, and Nth times I wished I had 5 or 6 moves instead of 4 :v:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I definitely think pressgangs are much more effective in this version -- more flexibility in positioning, no situations where you'd need to stack 4 civs. The king of the hill strat I went for wasn't great (it would have been a lot better if I maintained a soldier on the central supply), but especially not with the increased ability to pressgang. Also, it really, really sucks for the US to start at piece disadvantage and territory disadvantage. A2 and B3 really aren't worthwhile at all. You'd need to spend multiple turns getting them anywhere relevant and the left side of the map fills up with rads pretty quickly.

The USSR has its share of problems (being largely coastal), but it has much better access to neutrals and all of its pieces are on the relevant side of the map. A single soldier on F2 during placement stops the US from making up the piece gap through pressgangs.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Fair evaluation. Just because I designed this game doesn't actually mean I'm particularly good at it.

That said, I probably would have hit G5, then slowly try and turn A2/B3 into 2-4 soldiers through pressgangs and militarizes, depending on the card forecast and Sine's movements. Remember, soldiers can trudge through the radiation.

Of course, that strategy kinda hinges on a weird little design quirk: Unlike every other coastal hex, radiation never shows up at B3 on its own. It only gets there by bouncing from A2 or C3. (I did this to try and slow down how fast the Larsen arm (A2/B3) gets shut down. But I'm considering swapping that out and making C3 the "safe" hex.)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wanna try same rules again but swap roles?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'm headed out on a trip on Wednesday and will largely be off the grid until the end of the month, but I'd be game after that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
FWIW your King of the Hill strat was a total thorn in my loving side from the perspective of trying to use tactical starvation as a weapon. Multiple civs on a hex is a target, but also a pretty good defense when THREATEN only works on one of them at a time. I found myself often unable to a) move AND still threaten enough, or b) threaten AND move to take positional advantage of the change. e: especially if I have to dodge a "blocking" enemy soldier. Like you said, a central soldier would have had a big impact based on their ability to sheepdog the surrounding civs.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tricky posted:

I definitely think pressgangs are much more effective in this version -- more flexibility in positioning, no situations where you'd need to stack 4 civs. The king of the hill strat I went for wasn't great (it would have been a lot better if I maintained a soldier on the central supply), but especially not with the increased ability to pressgang. Also, it really, really sucks for the US to start at piece disadvantage and territory disadvantage. A2 and B3 really aren't worthwhile at all. You'd need to spend multiple turns getting them anywhere relevant and the left side of the map fills up with rads pretty quickly.

The USSR has its share of problems (being largely coastal), but it has much better access to neutrals and all of its pieces are on the relevant side of the map. A single soldier on F2 during placement stops the US from making up the piece gap through pressgangs.

I agree with you that the Russians have a massive piece advantage, but most playtesters definitely assert that the US has the territory advantage, because of the massive ablative backfield. Russia has to panic about radiation from the starting pistol, but the US is only really threatened by E1/E2 and maybe F7/G7 for about the first third of the deck. This also makes your supply depots more stable, and makes your attacks more devastating (like the J4 radiation drop).

As for the refugee disadvantage, yeah the Argentina landing (A2/B3) is absolute crap compared to the South Africa landing (H1-J1-K2), but you can contest the Australian landing (H8-J7-K7) pretty hard with a nearby military presence.

That said, I do think I need to throw the US more of a bone with refugees. There's a random useless refugee that appears at C6 on one of the cards, I think I might move him to E1.

Shall I put you both down for the same answers on the questionnaire?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah, same answers are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Almost same answers for me. I'd bump "how clear were the rules" up. I can't avoid a bias since this isn't my first kick at the can, but I felt that the latest rules were clearer. Thanks for running the game.

• Locked thread