Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Finally finished the demo yesterday on knight. Also died enough to get the Strong Background.

Are poison potions supposed to last until your hp hits 1/0? I've drank some when sitting at 70 or so health and it kinda bums me out when it happens because then I'm like 'welp, going to die sooner or later unless I get a regen potion or something.'

Is it possible to bring more than one carried item to the bonfire between levels? Faerie's are pretty sweet but eyeballs and sashimi are somewhat anemic, at least based on the limited tileset of the demo. (I've also been getting a lot of magic mapping scrolls/unbound sight items to make the eyeball pretty much worthless for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

Finally finished the demo yesterday on knight. Also died enough to get the Strong Background.

Are poison potions supposed to last until your hp hits 1/0? I've drank some when sitting at 70 or so health and it kinda bums me out when it happens because then I'm like 'welp, going to die sooner or later unless I get a regen potion or something.'

Is it possible to bring more than one carried item to the bonfire between levels? Faerie's are pretty sweet but eyeballs and sashimi are somewhat anemic, at least based on the limited tileset of the demo. (I've also been getting a lot of magic mapping scrolls/unbound sight items to make the eyeball pretty much worthless for me.)

In the full release you can carry a fairy and one small corpse to the campfire. I always take an eyeball with me and save my magic mapping scrolls for Act 4 and occasionally Act 3 if I have to face the Abomination without a ranged attack and just want to get around without a fight.

ekun
May 20, 2016

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is a cool game and I really like it so far. I don't understand how these alternate level themes I unlocked are supposed to work though. Is there, like, a toggle, or...?

e: also, is there some way I can just disable the entire background in the forest because oh god it grinds my crapbox PC's face into the dirt and calls it mean names

The alternate theme has a 33% chance to play on any given floor, once it's unlocked. They're a relatively recent addition to the game though, so I'm not sure if that's how it'll work in the final game.

I'm sorry that it doesn't run well on your machine right now. I'd love for the game to run on all low-end machines. I'll take a look at optimizing the backgrounds; there's probably something we can do to improve performance.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ekun posted:

The alternate theme has a 33% chance to play on any given floor, once it's unlocked. They're a relatively recent addition to the game though, so I'm not sure if that's how it'll work in the final game.

I'm sorry that it doesn't run well on your machine right now. I'd love for the game to run on all low-end machines. I'll take a look at optimizing the backgrounds; there's probably something we can do to improve performance.

Thanks :) In the meantime, I'll just continue beating up lil green archer guys in bullet time. It's odd that the caves and catacombs run fine but the forest is in permanent slow motion.

Had my best run yet - as a punchy, roaring, stomping Wildling with a lot of great items - end because the Necromancer summoned a skeleton directly in my face a fraction of a second before I finished passing over a spike trap. I was kicking his butt all over the place until then, too :negative:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 14, 2016

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you turn on directional casting the game sort of buggilly, but not really, saves your settings until you move your cursor out of the bottom area of the menu. It's kind of annoying to turn back on every game at least for the default spells. It's also somewhat annoying how it auto-fills in empty slots with spells you find. I'd rather just use up, down and neutral, and leave forward cast empty.

You can't do a careful flip over the edge of a platform and do a safe zero tile or one tile drop through spikes like you can in spelunky, which I found surprising. It was a neat trick.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Beat the existing content of the paid version using a Wildling who got lucky with finding a Life Steal claw. From there it was just stacking resistances, strength, and attack speed until nothing could even scratch me as I flurried everything to death in a berserked whirlwind of healing. I only missed killing the worm in the cave and a giant flying dude with punch fists that scared me away out of fear of falling off the world into a bottomless pit this far in the game.

What do I have to do to earn the unlocks for making it this far in the game for the secrets book? I tried saving and quitting using the book on the final screen, but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Edit: By the way, burning spellbooks gives you 10 HP, which I find very useful compared to most of the spells other than the utility ones like Dash.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 15, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Beat the existing content of the paid version using a Wildling who got lucky with finding a Life Steal claw. From there it was just stacking resistances, strength, and attack speed until nothing could even scratch me as I flurried everything to death in a berserked whirlwind of healing. I only missed killing the worm in the cave and a giant flying dude with punch fists that scared me away out of fear of falling off the world into a bottomless pit this far in the game.

What do I have to do to earn the unlocks for making it this far in the game for the secrets book? I tried saving and quitting using the book on the final screen, but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Edit: By the way, burning spellbooks gives you 10 HP, which I find very useful compared to most of the spells other than the utility ones like Dash.

Sup Wildling winner buddy :buddy: For me it was going fists+berserker and then finding a freezing claw. I could just whip Iceball at something to freeze it briefly, then get right into its face and completely annihilate it in an apocalypse of violence. At one point I slaughtered a Necromancer by just running up to him already berserk from a zombie fight and going to town on his face. His skeletons arrived just in time to see me beating his head against the floor :black101:

So I guess there's a New Game+ function? That's cool maybe I'll just check that out real qui-

...I may have a problem

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Punch through the wall at the top for new game +

fact: loot from the boss chests is never cursed

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The problem is that I went into New Game+ intending to check it out before going to bed and then suddenly it was 40 minutes later and I was standing at the New Game+ equivalent of the "you did all the things!" screen. :saddowns:

Is there a New Game++? If not I'll probably just retire my Wildling with dignity. She should be able to live forever pretty easily with maxed physical stats, immunity to every element but lightning, boulder protection, spike protection, and death protection. Go into legend, screaming pugilist, and murder shopkeepers in Valhalla :unsmith:

e: seriously, she can just walk up to a shopkeeper's counter and start into a flurry, and she fuckin chainsaws straight through the counter and rabbit-punches the poor bastard shopkeeper straight into Hell before he has a chance to even scratch her. It's endlessly funny and gratifying to see. I'm gonna try to win all the other classes but I doubt anything is quite as hilarious and metal as a raging berserker fist Wildling.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 15, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Being trying out the Mage but I still die a ton. Is there a way to setup the initial two spells with dcast config once instead of doing it each and every new game? If not that would be a great feature to add.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

The problem is that I went into New Game+ intending to check it out before going to bed and then suddenly it was 40 minutes later and I was standing at the New Game+ equivalent of the "you did all the things!" screen. :saddowns:

Is there a New Game++? If not I'll probably just retire my Wildling with dignity. She should be able to live forever pretty easily with maxed physical stats, immunity to every element but lightning, boulder protection, spike protection, and death protection. Go into legend, screaming pugilist, and murder shopkeepers in Valhalla :unsmith:

e: seriously, she can just walk up to a shopkeeper's counter and start into a flurry, and she fuckin chainsaws straight through the counter and rabbit-punches the poor bastard shopkeeper straight into Hell before he has a chance to even scratch her. It's endlessly funny and gratifying to see. I'm gonna try to win all the other classes but I doubt anything is quite as hilarious and metal as a raging berserker fist Wildling.

A high int + luck mage with all of the spellcasting and intelligence affinities and lightning spells does amazing things. Shockwave against, say, the necromancer boss can be seriously impressive and destructive. Shockwave travels half a screen length as a generous guess and at level 2 (because you should always be a bookworm as mage) with high int can do 50+ noncritical damage to everything it hits. High level eleclance with good cast speed is as effective and much safer than fists, and is very noticeable in a place like crypts.

Or you can just play a Death`s Acolyte background Rogue, put one point in stealth, and skip everything but the bosses, taking them down with 5 hits each.

Just thought I`d point out that since build 44 released on June 7th there have been 9 more patches. New builds have been pushed every two weeks for as long as I can remember and the dev team leaps on bug reports like mad.

Speaking of bug reports, here is a skill blink I used to get around a bad level exit generation from alpha 9, the first steam build:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363671845

There is a secret weapon you can get if you sacrifice the right items to the right altar... (these are old videos from the first release containing that weapon, showing some untested interactions with the environment)

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
This game is pretty drat cool. Tons of fun leading the pissed off shop keepers to spike filled rooms. They can't help them selves from jumping to their doom.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Some kind of bug can keep the spirits spell from working after you go through a level change. I can begin casting it and bring up the channeling bar, but there's no effect and it doesn't use a spell charge.
I think I might have brought the charges down to 0 on the level where I found and read the book.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Secret technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I did it: I brought lightning immunity, underwater breathing and elec lance to the water tower. Enough to casually shock-murder the big fish and all his buddies quake 1 style.

• Locked thread