Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I live in the UK pretty much full time now, and have a few thousand pounds in savings in a UK bank account. I've been thinking about the economical consequences of the looming brexit, which looks quite probable now, especially on the value of the pound and euro, and thus converting my cash into dollars looks more and more appealing by the day.

Please tell me about whether that would be a wise decision, how to actually do so in practice, if there are any special accounts available to me that could weather the storm better, etc.

So what do you think goons? Should I blow my savings on conversion fees? Is this all senseless hype and UK will stay in Yurop? Should I buy a better mattress? HOW DO I PREPARE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Invest everything in gold, bury the gold in your yard.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
The UK isn't Greece, Brexit won't cripple the pound in the long term. If your total assets are a few thousand pounds it's not worth converting them to USD and back again to a temporarily devalued currency.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Are you a professional bond or FX investor? No? Then don't worry about Brexit, there's not much you can do.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
Dump it all into index funds or something if you're scared. You are already investing, aren't you?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Brexit or no, conversion fees would be worth it to have your wealth in US dollars, the world currency with the highest levels of freedom. :911:

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
Just buy some long dated forex options for USD. If you are right, you will make a ton of cash. If you are wrong, then you just lose whatever you paid for the options. Would be alot cheaper and less hassle than converting all your currency.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Throw all your money away, become a chav.

Do nothing but drink lager and spit on people for the rest of your life.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Belgian posted:

Invest everything in gold, bury the gold in your yard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I apologize for joking.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
but guns, gold, and bullets.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Half of the money moved on insider info ten seconds before the votes were announced, the other half moved a split second later and any chance you had at making money at this was gone at that time. Just sit on your queeny dollars and eat poo poo with all the other plebs.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Has anyone said Britcoin yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

ifuckedjesus posted:

Just buy some long dated forex options for USD. If you are right, you will make a ton of cash. If you are wrong, then you just lose whatever you paid for the options. Would be alot cheaper and less hassle than converting all your currency.

Wish I would have taken my own advice and done this

• Locked thread