Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've been at my current job for 13 years. Though this would terrify most people, I personally like knowing I'll have the same job at the same place my entire life. I am sure the fact that this is a private union position has a lot to do with it but having a house and family with not knowing where I'll be in five years is unnerving to me, so this is perfect for me and my pessimism. Also retirement is 30 years so I will be able to retire before 55 which is pretty cool. Not as great as public union retirement but still pretty good.

Before that I worked as a stockboy from 14 to 18 then at a computer store from 18 to 21.

This seems pretty cool, what do you do?

I usually stay 2-3 then move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It really depends on how big the company is as well. I can move to drastically different jobs every 2 years or so all within my corporation because it's so big

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've been at my current job for 13 years. Though this would terrify most people, I personally like knowing I'll have the same job at the same place my entire life. I am sure the fact that this is a private union position has a lot to do with it but having a house and family with not knowing where I'll be in five years is unnerving to me, so this is perfect for me and my pessimism. Also retirement is 30 years so I will be able to retire before 55 which is pretty cool. Not as great as public union retirement but still pretty good.

Before that I worked as a stockboy from 14 to 18 then at a computer store from 18 to 21.

same except i've been at it for 9 years and there's no union and they just told everyone that we don't get the pension we were promised anymore and if you don't like it you can go gently caress yourself

at this point i'm just 100% not giving a poo poo and at least riding the job out until i get fired, but i can't seem to get fired so i don't know that their endgame is here

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

spud posted:

This seems pretty cool, what do you do?

Steamfitter's Union. Basically after high school I didn't want to go to college because I had poo poo grades in high school and my only interest that could be turned into a profession was computers, but there was no way in hell I was going to pass a C++ class or whatever. And also I was kind of worried about how volatile computer work was (I was always reading about layoffs) so I chose to apply for every trade job I could find and eventually I took the test for the steamfitter's union and I have been doing that for a long time. It worked out well because there is a LOT of training and all of that time would have been taken up by being in school (seriously the training can take years). I ended up going to college later in life and had straight A's for my bachelor's so it turns out I sucked in high school because 8 hours a day of classes is torture and lol if you try to teach me Spanish at 7 AM. I ended up loving college and only went because I didn't want to tell my kid they had to go when I never did.

Rape Stink posted:

Stay in a good union forever.

i'm in sales so basically no one stays at a job for more than 2 years

Yeah the union dues more than make up for never having to fear being laid off (though that does happen in certain unions; though it's more of a furlough than a layoff if that happens). Sales is cool though. I always wish I could be good at it, but the only thing I'd ever be good at selling was stuff I believed in, so I would make a terrible pharmaceutical unless I used every drug I was supposed to sell. What kind of stuff do you sell? Also, it's a good skill to have because salespeople will always be needed even when the cyborgs take over.

Pitdragon posted:

honestly, assuming the job's not poo poo and the pay's decent, i think a lot of people would appreciate that kind of consistency

It's a good job with very good pay and benefits with the only downside being that it requires rotating shift work. So a lot of weekends I don't have off while friends are inviting me to stuff and 50% of the time I cannot go. Also working Christmas sucks when you have a kid, but the triple pay makes up for it and you just celebrate everything on a different day.

It is funny what you say about most people appreciating consistency, because a lot of my friends think I am crazy, saying things like "I would be miserable if I knew I was going to be doing the same thing for 30 years" and here I am thinking the opposite. I could happily turn the same bolt on the same factory line every day for 30 years if it paid well and was a solid gig!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

same except i've been at it for 9 years and there's no union and they just told everyone that we don't get the pension we were promised anymore and if you don't like it you can go gently caress yourself

e: That really sucks. What state are you in? Because taking back a pension promised to you is illegal in some states.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 15, 2016

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been pretty consistent at two years before I start getting bored. I'm starting a new job in a few weeks that will pay 50% more than when I started my career five years ago so that feels like a good amount of time.

CCNA goon, go for it on your own time. IT certs are amazing to have and Cisco makes some really good gear.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trucking on 10 years on this job and several different positions.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
18 months to 2 years. I typically either get fed up and quit in anger, or complain loud enough to get fired for "Not Being A Good Fit." which is code for 'Does well at the job but acts like a complete rear end in a top hat when he wants something changed.'

I work in sales though, so it's pretty easy to find a new job when I want one. The amount of hiring and firing and general turnover in this field is unbelievable.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

13 years as a digital retouch artist (laid off once they figured out that no one gives a poo poo about retouching anymore) and now I'm almost 7 years in as a (lovely) web dev. Now that my current job has decided that raises are no longer a thing they have to do, I'm starting to look again. Woulda stuck around forever but that's bullshit. And it's not just me they won't give raises to, this was a company wide announcement.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Never been fired or laid off from a job, even when I was working multiple part-time/self employed.

Sounds like some of you are just bad at jobs :smuggo:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Never been fired or laid off from a job, even when I was working multiple part-time/self employed.

errrrrr

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Anywheres from less than an hour up to thirty years. The best paying job I ever had lasted about six minutes and it took goatse to get me fired from the 30 year job.
Self employed for a few years, and about eight months into my current gig in which I plan to glide to retirement.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Something about a baby boomer getting fired over goatse is extremely funny.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

notZaar posted:

Something about a baby boomer getting fired over goatse is extremely funny.

He didn't get fired for looking at goatse, his boss found out he IS goatse

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I would not hire someone who changes jobs every year. Even if they changed every 2 years, if it was consistent i'd prefer to pick someone who has potential to stick around longer. Takes people close to year before they're not a massive drain on my time and can contribute significantly, gently caress if i'm restarting that process every 12 months.

I've only worked for 2 companies in the last 14 years.
first one was 6 years straight from school at 16, this one has been 8 so far. Recently started a new company under them, we're sharing branding and they own most of it. I'll probably stay under this umbrella as long as they'll have me.

Lexorin posted:

13 years as a digital retouch artist (laid off once they figured out that no one gives a poo poo about retouching anymore)

demand for good retouchers is through the roof in advertising. everything that goes to print gets retouched to poo poo and most people are bad at it. dont work in fashion.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 15, 2016

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I've been at my current job for twenty years. It's not particularly easy because mom wants the house spotless but the PB&J's are tops.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
as long as the john needs

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
I am an unemployed human wreckage with a phat steam account.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
For the past five years, I've averaged a job every year. There's no sense prolonging the pain beyond that. New places, new faces.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Most likely either 20 years, when I can retire and immediately collect pension, 30 years, when I will be able to collect full pension immediately without a penalty, or 32 years when the pension maxes out.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

cubicle gangster posted:

demand for good retouchers is through the roof in advertising. everything that goes to print gets retouched to poo poo and most people are bad at it. dont work in fashion.

It was a small family owned studio. I don't know if I was any good, but I do know I could do a better job then most people working on magazines or something. Still it's not something I'd like to go back to doing, as retouching grandmas wrinkles out of her daughters wedding pictures for eight hours a day every day wears on your sanity.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Longest i've ever worked at one place is 3 years. I keep leaving and going back to school.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

2-4 years

shortest is 9 months though, place was weird and obviously failing -- i got out and they shut down within 4-5 months

like theoretically i would stay a long time at the right place, but normally i want to get the gently caress out after 2

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Inzombiac posted:

congratulations on successfully utilizing your servile personality in the post industrial capitalist world

make sure to report anyone you catch browsing the web at work and to follow the facial hair guidelines you agreed to upon being hired.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
2-3 years. I've been at my current job for 2 years and I literally feel pain when I hear my boss say my name so I'm getting close to updating my resume and finding something better.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Longest I've lasted in a job is a little under 3 years, would've stayed there longer but they changed the management structure and it all went to poo poo after that.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
Long enough to clear the place of all the things not bolted down

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
15 months average.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lexorin posted:

13 years as a digital retouch artist (laid off once they figured out that no one gives a poo poo about retouching anymore) and now I'm almost 7 years in as a (lovely) web dev. Now that my current job has decided that raises are no longer a thing they have to do, I'm starting to look again. Woulda stuck around forever but that's bullshit. And it's not just me they won't give raises to, this was a company wide announcement.

My last company did that. Told everyone no more raises unless you're below average salary for your job, and if they feel like you deserve extra for being a superstar they'll just give you some more bonus. Also took away the stock grant plan. I had worked there for 10 years and quit within six months of the changes.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Four years at my current job, I tried to quit a few months ago and they matched my job offer with a promise of a promotion on top of it in August, so I guess I'll just stay here till they stop trying desperately to keep me, or if it turns out they were lying about the promotion we'll see. I like it here though, and at five years I go up another time off bracket so I can do even less work

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've been in IT for a while now.

Started in a small shop doing consulting/repair/ISP admin stuff and quit when that guy decided to let his wife start making stupid business decisions.
Worked at another company for 8 years but I quit when I moved away.
Next place laid me off after 2 years and I practically thanked them.
Next job was one I took because I needed money. I left about 6 months ago they got bought out because it was obvious the new company HQ wanted to move the jobs to HQ in Boston (which they did).
Currently job has been almost 4 years. They are paying for me to take CompSci classes at a local college and I will probably leave or try to get fired once I have my papers.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I usually leave as soon as the cops start to pick up on the fact that the pattern of gruesome ritual murders is centered on my office

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

extra stout posted:

congratulations on successfully utilizing your servile personality in the post industrial capitalist world

make sure to report anyone you catch browsing the web at work and to follow the facial hair guidelines you agreed to upon being hired.

For real, though, I should have been fired for insubordination a few times because this whole place is people constantly failing upwards and I can't keep my mouth shut when my superiors make lovely decisions.

I'm actually looking to leave ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I have been fired and it is the worst feeling.
Technically my current job is the longest. I work in a hotel that closed for renovations and re-branded with new ownership, but I have worked just over 4 combined years in the building.

• Locked thread