Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Beyond
Mar 10, 2012
Long story short, I work for a startup that's building a sports-related mobile app. We're in the midst of planning to scale to 500,000 users in the next year or so and I'm responsible for fleshing out a loyalty/rewards program that's meant to encourage long-term engagement. In an effort to do so, I've been trying to research how similar companies approach this issue in an effort to discover best practices, etc. Simple enough, right? Wrong.

I've come to realize that this information isn't exactly easy to find. Part of the problem is that our situation is fairly unique. Not only are we a mobile app, but to some extent, the rewards program is intended to be gamified (ie, you can risk X amount of in-game points to compete against other players for a slice of a shared prize pool). Because of this, information on frequent flyer points and coupon codes (which is the type of stuff I'm seeing) doesn't do me much good.

So what I'm hoping to get from you guys... is anything that I haven't been able to find through my own efforts (which hasn't been much). I'm interested in anything and everything ranging from first hand anecdotes(ie, I liked the reward system in game X for reason Y) to abstract industry research. What I'd obviously like to find more than anything else is for someone who's been in a similar situation to pop up and tell me about what they've done in the past and what worked and what didn't.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well gambling sites make you wager a ton of money to clear deposit bonuses, other games make you watch a ton of ads to clear fake in game money. Tie the activity you want people to do with the reward.

• Locked thread