Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I would suggest a new digital currency instead, the Britcoin

:vincemcmahonpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
i think london should just secede from the rest of england. i think the goons referring to letting the uk become apart of the US are thinking of northerners who drink and beat each other up and eat kebabs all day,

london is full of hipster twats and bankers. throw in some cool rastafaris and punk bands and poo poo as a treat, the rest are just people trying to make it and renting a tiny room the size of an american closet while working a poo poo job and getting trashed on the weekends.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Drunk & Ugly posted:

i think london should just secede from the rest of england. i think the goons referring to letting the uk become apart of the US are thinking of northerners who drink and beat each other up and eat kebabs all day,

london is full of hipster twats and bankers. throw in some cool rastafaris and punk bands and poo poo as a treat, the rest are just people trying to make it and renting a tiny room the size of an american closet while working a poo poo job and getting trashed on the weekends.

that's basically rural america vs. urban america so you'll all fit right in

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This would be cool as hell

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

imo let's get rid of all borders

let all the poors of the world come to the US and i'll find a nice vacant tropical island somewhere

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I would only accept England as a state if all English were driven into the ocean and the countries citizens replaced with patriots.

God bless

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

imo let's get rid of all borders

let all the poors of the world come to the US and i'll find a nice vacant tropical island somewhere

I truly wish this was reality

border: none;

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I would only accept England as a state if all English were driven into the ocean and the countries citizens replaced with patriots.

God bless

TRUE AMERICAN

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mein Eyes! posted:

The UK is a deforested wasteland of grain and rape that can't keep the pubs open past 11PM.

God, can you imagine a British person trying to understand the concept of a National Park? "so it's a bit of bog that the Queen doesn't own, but nobody's allowed to build flats or graze sheep on it? What's the point?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drunk & Ugly posted:

So you seem to be simultaneously pointing out that different parts of the UK have different cultures and assuming that all of the US is Texas or something (or otherwise why would this be relevant), was this intentional

Because your description of London matches every American major city I've ever seen, and hell, it even matches Austin TX so your generalization doesn't even apply to all of Texas either

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Roylicious posted:

We're running a budget surplus right now.

The other states are just butthurt because CA has such weight to throw around. #1 population by a huge margin, #1 GDP out of the states, nice weather, no idiots passing weirdo bathroom laws, consumer protections, it's nice.

for the moment

too bad it can't buy rain

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

boom boom boom posted:

God, can you imagine a British person trying to understand the concept of a National Park? "so it's a bit of bog that the Queen doesn't own, but nobody's allowed to build flats or graze sheep on it? What's the point?"

feckin eejit right here

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
You guys could even have your own set of dumb "state laws" that the federal government will "let" you enforce/not enforce.

Also you don't have to worry about being fined for not having health insurance cause you all already have it

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

loquacius posted:

So you seem to be simultaneously pointing out that different parts of the UK have different cultures and assuming that all of the US is Texas or something (or otherwise why would this be relevant), was this intentional

Because your description of London matches every American major city I've ever seen, and hell, it even matches Austin TX so your generalization doesn't even apply to all of Texas either

no the us can be lovely too but generally theres more space and non porridge meals

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
England owns like 50 countries. Those countries currency literally has the head of England's current monarch on it.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Prorat posted:

England owns like 50 countries. Those countries currency literally has the head of England's current monarch on it.

the sun never sets on the british empire

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

God bless

English are immune to Water damage.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
oh god my cummies

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Prorat posted:

Doesn't count without taxes or political influence

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
"Welcome to Forward Base Epsilon, or, as it used to be called, 'England'."

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Mein Eyes! posted:

can't keep the pubs open past 11PM.

never been but this just doesn't sound right

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

never trust an elf posted:

Come on guys everyone's abandoning you cause you got tricked into leaving your swarthy friends behind by a couple weird looking racists.

Scotland can come too but Northern Ireland is hosed so they should unite with Ireland or become a hermit kingdom

We'll even give you representation :agesilaus:

they have to fight for that.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

for the moment

too bad it can't buy rain

Droughts basically over and we're building more water storage for next time :tutbutt:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Roylicious posted:

Droughts basically over and we're building more water storage for next time :tutbutt:

socal is still well below averages, 40% of average in some places

naem
May 29, 2011

Roylicious posted:

The other states are just butthurt because CA has such weight to throw around. #1 population by a huge margin, #1 GDP out of the states, nice weather, no idiots passing weirdo bathroom laws, consumer protections, it's nice.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Roylicious posted:

You're still hemorrhaging human beings and industry that aren't silicon valley parasites. The south of your state is still running a fresh water deficit to support the worlds worst sort of people. Nobody can afford to live where jobs are, and they're all coming to loving texas.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

hemophilia posted:

You're still hemorrhaging human beings and industry that aren't silicon valley parasites. The south of your state is still running a fresh water deficit to support the worlds worst sort of people. Nobody can afford to live where jobs are, and they're all coming to loving texas.

anybody dumb enough to go to texas deserves their fate / punishment

which is life in texas

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

hemophilia posted:

California already has its own Texas. Its called the San Joaquin Valley.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
well op I made this same thread last week

i guess you're the 51st late :grin:

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

far better for the entire region to be destroyed under the weight of its incompetent bankrupt government I guess

yo that's entirely on us voters for putting in prop 13.

spud posted:

There is a major reason Scotland wants to stay in the EU so much....they seem to be unable to do anything other than rely on North Sea Oil and UK handouts :tinfoil:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/04/scottish-economy-grows-far-more-slowly-than-uk-as-a-whole

let's be honest though, would you want to stay in loving scotland if you had a choice? let them into the us as a territory and we'll get all their best and brightest to claim as our own, just like england has done for the last three centuries.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Maoist Pussy posted:

California already has its own Texas. Its called the San Joaquin Valley.

anywhere you'd want to live in texas is way nicer than the san joaquin valley.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

spud posted:

I'd happily dump the queen for a USA passport.

It isn't easy to OFFICIALLY emmigrate to the USA, despite what you guys might think. Australia, Canada, New Zealand....hell most other countries have a points system that any idiot like me can pass. America? No Sir. Even Corporate sponsorship generally only gets you a temporary working visa and not even permanent residency.

You guys even banned the UK from the Green Card Lottery :cry:

We would never do that in Europe as that is RACIST.

e: Added officially as I obey the law.

If you're white and speak english La Migra isn't gonna come after you. My buddy's dad came from Scotland sin papeles and worked construction for 40 years, eventually building his own company. Never got caught despite a strong, thick accent.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

akulanization posted:

anywhere you'd want to live in texas is way nicer than the san joaquin valley.

That's great, I'm glad you have nice things in Tejas, for real. We got some nice things, too.

I'm glad Cali is big enough to build things like high speed rail and poo poo like that. Making it smaller seems dumb.

Also, Sacramento is a fantastic city and its in the Valley.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Maoist Pussy posted:

That's great, I'm glad you have nice things in Tejas, for real. We got some nice things, too.

I'm glad Cali is big enough to build things like high speed rail and poo poo like that. Making it smaller seems dumb.

Also, Sacramento is a fantastic city and its in the Valley.

lol I live in Cali dude, been living in the san joaquin valley in fact. most of it isn't as nice as Sacramento, it's pretty comparable to texas imo; but with more urban decay since places like stockton no longer are shipping hubs.

also making Cali smaller is dumb, only real problem with the state is that any new revenue has to be approved by the voters and getting people to vote for taxes is pretty much impossible.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

akulanization posted:

lol I live in Cali dude, been living in the san joaquin valley in fact. most of it isn't as nice as Sacramento, it's pretty comparable to texas imo; but with more urban decay since places like stockton no longer are shipping hubs.

also making Cali smaller is dumb, only real problem with the state is that any new revenue has to be approved by the voters and getting people to vote for taxes is pretty much impossible.

hm it's almost as if when you get a voting bloc that large over such a geographically and demographically disparate area coming to a consensus is exponentially harder

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

hm it's almost as if when you get a voting bloc that large over such a geographically and demographically disparate area coming to a consensus is exponentially harder

hm it's almost like the mistake was in requiring everyone to approve any new revenue, instead of doing it in the legislature like everywhere else.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

That Robot posted:

well op I made this same thread last week

i guess you're the 51st late :grin:

Did yours turn into CA chat? :smug:

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Also since prop 13 requires a 2/3rds majority it's really more of a case of setting the bar really high than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

never trust an elf posted:

Did yours turn into CA chat? :smug:

inhabitants of inferior states can't help but snipe at mighty california whenever it comes up.

• Locked thread