Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I trust a computer created by Elon Musk with the my life and those of my children
This poll is closed.
Yes 24 39.34%
Christ, no 37 60.66%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I turned you on back at Highway 52
Lying back in my seat giving control to you
If Im asleep that doesnt stop you coming through

Oh ah oh

They took no credit for my bonehead naiveté
Trusting this nonautonomous technology
And now they have the ammo their tumblrs were lacking

Oh ah oh

They act like children

Oh ah oh

What did you tell them?

Victim Mentality Killed the Autonomous Car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

Oh ah oh

Oh ah oh

They act like children

Oh ah oh

What did you tell them?

Bra-loving-vo. :hfive:
Just go ahead and close the thread.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Could Wile E. Coyote kill a roadrunner driving a Tesla by painting some false road lanes into the side of a cliff?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

atomicthumbs posted:

Yes, because anyone without some sort of interest in aviation knows what an autopilot actually does.

Go to literally anywhere and ask someone what an airplane's autopilot does and they'll say, 95% of the time, "it flies the plane."

Pedantry doesn't work in marketing.

jfyi arguments like this are why superman pajamas have a warning on them that they won't actually make you fly now

except tesla's superman pajamas would audibly warn you that they don't fly when you put them on, and again every time you stood on a windowsill

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

Oh ah oh

Oh ah oh

They act like children

Oh ah oh

What did you tell them?

:golfclap:

Close the thread, we're done here.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

taco_fox posted:

Could Wile E. Coyote kill a roadrunner driving a Tesla by painting some false road lanes into the side of a cliff?

could i drive a tesla off the road by putting a picture of a curve on the b ack of my car

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

atomicthumbs posted:

could i drive a tesla off the road by putting a picture of a curve on the b ack of my car

Little in the middle / but she got much b ack

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

I'm going to invent a big metallized balloon that you can inflate and deploy out the back of your car to engage pursuing police cars' auto-braking.

e: I guess I just invented it. (c) sagebrush 2016 don't steal

We were ruminating in slack on what would happen if you pop chaff in front of various autonomous cars. :toot:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

We were ruminating in slack on what would happen if you pop chaff in front of various autonomous cars. :toot:

I need to know this. It's time the NHTSA upped their crash test game.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

let's make a list
  • chaff
  • flares
  • a megawatt of pulsed rf at 2.4 ghz right up the fuckin' radar antenna

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't forget reflective vinyl wrap.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ive always wanted to drive and Crash a Grey Tesla Model S

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Breaking the OP rules, nobody died this time:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2016/07/05/southfield-art-gallery-owner-survives-tesla-crash/86712884/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ive always wanted to drive and Crash a Grey Tesla Model S

I like what you're doing. I'd rather prefer to drive and crash a Red Tesla Model S

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Imagine any other car manufacturer writing this.

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/misfortune posted:

Given the fact that the "better-than-human" threshold had been crossed and robustly validated internally, news of a statistical inevitability did not materially change any statements previously made about the Autopilot system, its capabilities, or net impact on roadway safety.

On the day the news broke about NHTSA's decision to initiate a preliminary evaluation into the incident, Tesla's stock traded up, not down, confirming that not only did our investors know better, but that our own internal assessment of the performance and risk profile of Autopilot were in line with market expectations.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
This guy was literally purposefully ignoring the road and pretending he was in a full-on level 4 autonomous vehicle, which the model S is not, probably never will be, and most importantly, has never claimed to be.

The level of idiocy demonstrated here is second only to the kind of people who don't understand what's funny when a national lampoon movie makes yet another "if you're down here, who's driving the RV?" "it's on cruise control" "omg steering!" joke.

Everything Tesla has said about this incident is totally reasonable. If any other carmaker had someone die through watching a goddamn movie or whatever while assuming that lane-keep assist and radar cruise control (which is, in essence, what Autopilot is right now. It's really good at it, but it's still just traffic-aware cruise control. Which is exactly what they call it in the documentation.) we wouldn't be batting a goddamn eyelid.

I went to find some articles of idiots dying with cruise control on but thanks to internet media being an incestuous cesspool of fuckwits it's practically impossible to get a non-tesla-related result right now (even explicitly removing a number of strings from results)

Adiabatic posted:

Oh ah oh

Oh ah oh

They act like children

Oh ah oh

What did you tell them?

:golfclap:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 7, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

People who promise the most (or couch it in highly optimistic terms) tend to get criticized the most.

We wouldnt bat an eye at a person dying due to blind trust in an autonomous feature in a GM car because they dont even try to represent the bleeding edge in autonomy. Tesla though has from the very beginning marketed themselves as the carmakers of tommorow, and like it or not that justifiably opens them up to all kinds of criticism.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I will bet any amount of money with anyone in this thread that the deaths-per-mile in collisions between automated cars will be at least an order of magnitude lower than the deaths-per-mile between human-driven cars in the next ten years. And they'll only get better from there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ColdPie posted:

I will bet any amount of money with anyone in this thread that the deaths-per-mile in collisions between automated cars will be at least an order of magnitude lower than the deaths-per-mile between human-driven cars in the next ten years. And they'll only get better from there.

They don't have to be perfect, just be better than the average hyooman. And that ain't hard.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I imagine that proper driving AI will always err on the side of overly cautious, enabling the bullying of computer cars on the highway for your own selfish driving gains. Imagine the fun you could have (if you were a complete prick) causing an AI car to slow down, change lanes and whatever else you want simply because it has to drive safely.

It's not something I'd do but I can see it being abused a bit, particularly in traffic, everyone changing lanes in front of them causing them to sit on their brakes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

sharkytm posted:

They don't have to be perfect, just be better than the average hyooman. And that ain't hard.

The average human doesn't understand this, apparently.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

88h88 posted:

I imagine that proper driving AI will always err on the side of overly cautious, enabling the bullying of computer cars on the highway for your own selfish driving gains. Imagine the fun you could have (if you were a complete prick) causing an AI car to slow down, change lanes and whatever else you want simply because it has to drive safely.

It's not something I'd do but I can see it being abused a bit, particularly in traffic, everyone changing lanes in front of them causing them to sit on their brakes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754587

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The car game was on autopilot and died under a truck.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

EightBit posted:

The average human doesn't understand this, apparently.

and it was then that we discovered how low the bar truly was

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

literally a fish posted:

and it was then that we discovered how low the bar truly was

right at windshield level

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 8, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Quite how I missed this thread I have no idea. Ta.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The car game was on autopilot and died under a truck.

:rip: car game. Never forget -- autopilot kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Terrible Robot posted:

right at windshield level

Ba bum tisk
:rimshot: