Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

What is PULSAR: Lost Colony?

PULSAR: Lost Colony is a five-player co-operative ship management simulator. That's right. It's Star Trek as it was meant to be, or FTL: Faster Than Light with players taking a crew member each. Your crew selects and names one of six unique spacecraft, each player takes a dedicated ship role, and serves as best they can to keep your little bucket of bolts in the air. This is done through physically walking through the ship itself and interacting with terminals, as well as occasionally drawing pistols and beaming down to a planet/station/enemy ship.

Currently in Early Access, PULSAR as it stands offers a bunch of fun things to do with up to four friends:
  • Carry out random missions for your faction!
  • Send away teams to planets to horribly die!
  • Explode and die!
  • Accidentally vent the reactor core!
  • Fly into mines!
  • Get boarded by pirates!
  • Ignore your captain!
Roles

Captain – The buck stops here. Plans your movements and objectives, gives orders in combat, makes purchasing and upgrade decisions, fills in wherever a hand is needed, and is blamed for everything.

Pilot – Is a leaf on the wind. The pilot is the only character who will generally have a third-person view of the craft itself, so keeping the ship in the air is all down to them.

Weapons – Fires a big gently caress-off gun. Crucial for operating the ships heaviest weapons, which other characters would need to skill into (instead of into their primary roles). Is the most efficient at weapons use.

Engineering – Controls the power grid. Diverting power to the systems that need it most and ensuring that the engines perform, both in space and warp. Your repairman and fire patrol mule. Also blamed for everything.

Scientist - Space is a strange place. The Scientist both researches new skills and abilities from reagents you discover and, in combat, deploys viruses and on-board ship programs to give you the edge. Wanders around on away missions with a scanner.

The game is available on Steam and through the website. Things are pretty rough right now, but the devs appear to reliably if slowly build on the game and it's a blast with four or five people Picking things up requires some trial and error but there's a basic manual. I can testify it's great with friends but I'm yet to delve into public games so I can't speak for the community.

Tips
  • If you're hosting, remember to save periodically as currently there is no autosave function.
  • Bots can fill roles, but the AI is currently a work in progress (if you only have four players, make a Weapons bot as they're the simplest and most reliable).

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
This is 25% off in the Steam Summer Sale, incidentally.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

This looks neat as hell, beam me up xxx_sc0tty_xxx

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

As a pilot, I resent being excluded from the "gets blamed for everything" club. Whether this has anything to do with my tendency to ram enemies and inanimate objects without warning is beside the point.

dylguy90 on steam

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!
I just plugged 4 hrs into this game last night and I'm hooked. I've never even heard of it until yesterday. It's just like a multiplayer FTL. Can't wait to be a captain of my own ship and go full Janeway!

Spin_Echo on steam if you're looking for a crew member. :wave:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There was an update recently that gave you finer control over the AI of the bots, and also allowed them to leave the ship so they can come with you to a planet. Playing the game entirely solo isn't as good as running with actual human crew, but at least it's feasible to do so now. A quick rundown on them is in order, however.

Weapons isn't just a job the bot can do, it's a job at which the bot is fantastic, because they'll reliably hit the target for the main gun's full damage. The two problems, however, are that it's very shy about using missiles, and it's also incredibly bad about picking a target and sticking with it on its own. But if you have to have a bot at a position, this is the one to do, just be sure you manually designate targets if there's more than one.

Pilot does an adequate job. It'll line up the ship for warp, keep you moving in combat, and find scrap that human players probably won't. However, it's very bad about pointing the top of the ship at the target, so when combined with the gunner's inability to pick a target and stick with it, fights drag out way longer than they should as you have to knock down shields repeatedly. It's also pretty dumb about scrap. It'll find it, and it'll fly to it, but it seems to have trouble actually collecting it, so you'll have to do that manually. If you have to have two bots, or someone really wants to be a gunner, a pilot bot is pretty solid.

Engineering is okay. I don't think it's very smart about what stuff it prioritizes, and it will never load fuel capsules for Science, but it will be able to keep your reactor from overheating. Fortunately, loading fuel capsules is something anybody can do, so just popping in a few isn't a big deal, and it's not like the captain is really needed on the bridge. Adjusting the AI's parameters so it'll preserve coolant and let Science have all the power it needs to get the warp drive ready to go is highly suggested, among other things.

Science should not be trusted to bots. The bot is too loving stupid. It will spam useless programs like Thruster Boost, not really initiate viral attacks, doesn't scan anything, and it can't communicate what it needs. The lack of electronic warfare isn't too bad because you can do it yourself (if you aren't manning a turret or running around loading fuel capsules), ditto for scanning, but getting the "scanner can see items and research materials" upgrade is super important. Unfortunately, only the actual Scientist can see stuff on the scanner when upgraded, and even if you could adjust what the bots are carrying (you can't; the gear they spawn with is all they get), there's no way for the bot to tell you where items and enemies and the like are. Which is already of limited utility because there's still no fixed point of reference or compass on planets, so you can say that you see stuff on the scanner but can't say where. Absolutely do not let this be a bot unless everybody around you really hates being the Science Guy.

So complaints about the performance of one of the AI bots aside, I do think this is a pretty cool game, and now you don't have to worry about finding a crew of pubbies where nobody is a moron or an rear end in a top hat.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
This game is really good! Even though it looks like an N64 game and costs $25.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Jorge Bell posted:

This game is really good! Even though it looks like an N64 game and costs $25.

It reminds me of a Half-Life 2 but with smooth textures.

I have had the game for all of two days now, and it seems the only groups I can find are 2-3 people with maybe one talker or literal children. None of my friends want to spend $25 to stare at screens with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

I...must find it

• Locked thread