Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

:smug:

(I'm probably the only person who has played the level, that score is not particularly high)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Played for about an hour earlier, glad we finally got the game we paid $25 for over two years ago. :v:

I'm not even upset, I'm just glad we got a new good Carmageddon game. It was worth the wait.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are the load times still terrible?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The first race took a bit to load, but the load times after that were maybe 10 seconds at most and I didn't even install this on my increasingly cramped SSD. That's just how it worked on my hardware though, someone else might have had a different experience.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

King Vidiot posted:

Played for about an hour earlier, glad we finally got the game we paid $25 for over two years ago. :v:

I'm not even upset, I'm just glad we got a new good Carmageddon game. It was worth the wait.

So what you're saying is that it went from TDK 2000 to hopefully 2 or even 1?

I kinda wanna be hopeful.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

widespread posted:

So what you're saying is that it went from TDK 2000 to hopefully 2 or even 1?

I kinda wanna be hopeful.

Car handling is still kinda bad (in my opinion) and the car slides all over the place but yeah, it feels like a proper Carmageddon game now and not a big sloppy tech demo.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's the same thing just a new name with a patch. It's an unpleasantly common thing games do now to shed old, bad Steam reviews, even if they're warranted.
Yeah Max Damage is basically the "Enhanced Edition" every game loves re-releasing nowadays. Having to ditch my old saves annoys me though.

Game's good though, definitely an improvement.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Game no longer makes my cpu cry bloody tears so thats a plus.

Music is still almost silent though

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Glad this is finally out.

Game now runs smooth as butter with all my settings maxed, so thats great. I feel like they tuned down overall shiny-ness a bit if that makes sense, but it doesn't drop frames anymore when you explode some peds or whatever.

Loading is a tad faster.
You can now drive around half your car when you split it, which owns.
You can now properly stun opponents, with a visual indicator that they are dizzy. The opponents also seem to have lost some of their pinpoint accuracy, but the first bunch of races are still pretty tough because you haven't got access to armor upgrades at this point. Not too bad tho.
Driving thru cyclists and the disabled is funny.

Volume on some things is still messed up, notably halleluja and grooving peds powerup sounds. :shrug:

Overall im happy with this, looking forward to unlock the western map :madmax:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

You can now properly stun opponents, with a visual indicator that they are dizzy.

I just wish the game still told you when they were "soiling their shreddies" or "spitting nails".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Game won't load for me 99/100, but got an hours play in on a lucky load; I like that if you hang around in front of an opponent ai they'll use powerups against you - I've been sprung, mined and anvilled so far.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I just wish the game still told you when they were "soiling their shreddies" or "spitting nails".

Ya :same: but it's an improvement for sure

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Opponents not getting stunned when you smashed into them really annoyed me in Reincarnation. I know it was like that in Carma 1 as well, but after Carma 2 it felt like a huge step back and I'm glad they sorted that out. I do also miss the status display, though.

I still think Carma 2 is the best game in the series despite the godawful missions. I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of it, finding cool powerups and upgrades and just being able to drive around the levels without the entire Bleak City police department harassing you.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I loved Reincarnation despite it's issues and am so happy Max Damage fixes those.

Also playing it in Mass Debate Mode makes it basically Splatoon for adults, love turning my car into a Jackson Pollock painting.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I forgot how to corner since the last game. :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

""Let's see how many peds I can kill without Peds Shown on Map or before the last opponent blows himself up"

600, apparently. At some point I started wondering what I was doing with my life, but it was at least a good way to kill a bunch of time while waiting for the F1 race to start.

Also, if you haven't driven the Shredlight yet, you should. Easily the best handling car in the game, and takes a hell of a beating too despite being a 50s sports car. I don't think I've been wasted by opponents a single time while driving it on my current playthrough.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 31, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I played Reincarnation last year and thought it was a fine game, but it always seemed the damage calculator was all sorts of random. Sometimes I would plow into an opponent like a comet and it would do almost no damage at all, and sometimes I could survive smashing my car into things and walk away unscathed, only to get tapped lightly by a bumper and watch as all my doors and wheels fly off. Have they fixed that?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It's better now, crashing into opponents feels more consistent and you'll stun them when you give them a proper whack. When you get wrecked in any kind of a decent vehicle, it generally happens because someone really plowed into you and you don't just blow up from slightly brushing another car.

The more fragile cars like Countslash and Snaky Bastard are still completely useless, though. I suppose they're meant for actual racing, but who does that? Certainly not the opponents, who will happily waste you and steal your laps.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 31, 2016

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah, Shredlight is my goto for races and ped/checkpoint stampedes, runs fast, stops quick and handles well. Races in bumpercam view actually feel like a driving game :eyepop:

If you're trying to finish a mission by killing all peds and you're not driving Electric Blue, you have too much free time.

Have folks unlocked the final 'car' yet? It's ridiculous and I wish the chase cam was a bit higher so I could see what the hell I was destroying :madmax:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you're trying to finish a mission by killing all peds and you're not driving Electric Blue, you have too much free time.
I didn't really intend to do that at first, I just thought "well I'll just run over a whole bunch of peds to get a higher score and see how many I can kill without the powerup that shows them on the map, I'll go finish off the last opponent once I can't find any more peds" but all but one of the peds in the level were actually in the main areas and didn't require any real exploration. I don't plan on doing that again, once was enough.

I unlocked the final vehicle on PS4 (haven't played that far yet on PC) and it's pretty insane. The best part of unlocking it was seeing the score counter going up for the rest of the race after you wrecked the vehicle.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 31, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh I got the preorder cars in the steam version for free! Never even checked

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Killing all peds on a small map like the nuclear waste island isn't all that hard, I almost did it in about 20 minutes or less. But then the last opponent killed himself by running into me.

I got 199/200 :smithicide:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lesson 1: hunting peds? Upspec your engine and leave your armour and offensive at one slot.

<edit>also, fun for your ped chasing: Hop in the Heavy Impaler and pull up cockpit view, see how many peds you can shishkebab on your scaffolding pipe :madmax:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 1, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You can drag the camera upwards back in the options somewhere if u wanna drive the huge cars

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

You can also use pgup/pgdn

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I'm getting a hilarious bug where the game menus keep scrolling up by itself fighting me for what menu i want to do. Gotten so bad i can't even navigate menu/options. Anyone else been having that issue?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TwatHammer posted:

I'm getting a hilarious bug where the game menus keep scrolling up by itself fighting me for what menu i want to do. Gotten so bad i can't even navigate menu/options. Anyone else been having that issue?

How many controllers do you have plugged in?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Ziploc posted:

How many controllers do you have plugged in?

Zero. Thats the dumb thing, I don't have any controllers plugged in, I don't even own any.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

TwatHammer posted:

do you have a wireless keyboard / mouse? Mine went mental and unplugging / plugging the usb receiver sorted me out.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

do you have a wireless keyboard / mouse? Mine went mental and unplugging / plugging the usb receiver sorted me out.

None, standard usb m/kb.

I however seem to have fixed my problem with a shoddy fix, went into the steam folder and just deleted the default controller docs and seems to have fixed it. How long that works is beyond me.

E:Saying that, It still spazzes the gently caress out trying to fight an invisible controller now and my cursors is missing 80% of the time and the tool-tips keep showing controller instead of keyboard but whatevs

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 2, 2016

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Did you ever install something like joy2key or something to make a dualshock work with your computer? I had something like that for a while until I cleared out my registry.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This version certainly looks and runs better than the original release but man is it just not any fun to play. I just can't get over how slippery and sluggish the controls are.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I genuinely don't mind the handling at all and find it quite enjoyable, but since pretty much everyone else appears to complain about it there clearly is a problem there and I'm in some weird minority.

At least they don't make you do precision platforming in this one, I guess.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Carmageddon: Max Damage is going for ~£15 for PS4 on eBay. I'm sorely tempted. Basically I really enjoyed Carmageddon/Carmageddon 2 when I was about 13 and want exactly the same thing, but slightly prettier that I can play on my TV. Am I going to be terribly disappointed by dropping £15 on it, or is that fairly reasonable for a few hours of squashing cars/cows/people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Flint_Paper posted:

Carmageddon: Max Damage is going for ~£15 for PS4 on eBay. I'm sorely tempted. Basically I really enjoyed Carmageddon/Carmageddon 2 when I was about 13 and want exactly the same thing, but slightly prettier that I can play on my TV. Am I going to be terribly disappointed by dropping £15 on it, or is that fairly reasonable for a few hours of squashing cars/cows/people?

its basically carma 2 with a lick of new paint.

• Locked thread