Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

It's sunk in a little more. The fact that they covered up Tengan's actions and what happened in the building feels wrong to me. I feel like lying about FF like that goes against this' series vague definition of hope.

It's a comedy of errors at the end of it all and it'll probably fall apart again like a house of cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yo that ending loving sucked

Much like the rest of it.

It's just so... incredibly nothing. That's the best way I can describe it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Alder posted:

, did Namani die or just went into a coma

Depends on if they want to make a direct sequel or not. :v:
'

sockpuppetclock posted:

I wish this anime never existed...

It made me like everyone in it less.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Imo the best part of this was Juzo

I liked him from the beginning cause he was a massive rear end in a top hat who made bad situations worse, and that's funny.

But he showed genuine human qualities as the show went on, and he even got the most badass moment of the series.

He's still a massive rear end in a top hat but I feel like DR3 gave Juzo one of the most complete character arcs in the series. Naturally it's Munakata who survives but I think Juzo is one of the few characters who works even better with their death.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Huh. If I were to qualify the series I just watched, I would say it was a very Kishi-directed anime. Fortunately it fell on the Angel Beats! side of the spectrum for me and I liked it more than disliked it in the end- and like the previous series in spite of the directing and not because of it-but I can't begrudge anyone for just throwing this one aside because God in heaven, he was in full force with this one: mood whiplash, dropped plot threads, weird cuts, pacing issues up the wazoo... But I watched it all the way through and do not feel particularly ashamed or frustrated, so I guess I can chalk that up as a win. Maybe I do love this stupid, gross series that much.

Things I liked:
-Juzo. Darn it, that was a complete character arc in an anime and that is what I look for and rate highly. He was a jerk, but I was invested. Gold star, Kishi.
-Mostly sidelining the Ultra Despair Girls whole thing, because that was in the end a travesty and giving it the capstone it did was all that series in the end deserved
-Megumi Ogata status: still awesome voice acting God, and Junko's voice actress is still great
- OK, OK, the ending was good too; what can I say, I'm a cheeseball. [spoiler]Seeing the DR2 cast again was great, and they mostly stuck the landing of what they tried to do, since it was all about Makoto's vindication in trying to save them. And while I have some reservations about reopening Hopes Peak again, I do think they're doing it from a better standpoint this time because a) I highly doubt Makoto "Hope Jesus" Naegi is going to implement the same policies that led the original to the garbage fire it did and b) they have someone shouldering the burden of dispair that Makoto is intimately familiar with and is both willing and able to catch anyone who falls through Big Mac's blindspots. For example, if anyone falls to nihilistic despair again, there's now a whole island full of people who have been there and done that, who will prove far more effective therapy than Naegi could, or at least are better equipped to contain such people.[/spoilers] So I think it's all going to be all right. :unsmith: (At least until V3)

Things I did not like, other than the issues already discussed.
-Well, Munakata turned out to be a wet fart of a character didn't he? Goes through all that, is confronted by his failures, loses both his friends, and then... just kinda fucks off? Really? Well, that was meaningless.
-As his been mentioned, the mystery aspect was pretty much bunk from the get-go, moving straight to the killing and that made me sad. the murder mystery aspect was one of the more interesting aspects of the series and when pulled off well lead to some incredible moments. To scrap that in favor of melodrama is... kinda what I expected of this show, but no less disappointing.
-how they went about the whole "brainwashing" thing. I get why they did it all the way they did (time constraints, continuity, setting up the narrative of Class 77th as victims rather than villains), but they went about it in the most boring way, in which everyone pretty much acts the same under it and that's the most toothless way to go about it. We never got a sense of what being a "Remnant of Despair" was actually like because they all became carbon copies of Junko, which is eerie I suppose but not in the way that was satisfying to me after these guys have been built up. What potential was lost in showing us what life as a despair inducer is actually like? And drat it, how the hell did Naegi get them all to go along with the New World Project in the first place? That's what I wanted to know but nope- Naegi looks for survivors->meets Izuru->???->DR2.
-Even though the 77th says they're guilty and want to atone, I get no real sense of the weight behind the tragedy and horror of what they did. One of the points of DR 2 is that they're supposed to remember what they did as being remnants of despair, and that has to leave psychological scars, but they all act pretty much the same as they did. No trauma, no scars, just a sweet new hand for Komaeda and a hetero-chromatic Hinata. I get that there supposed to be helping each other through the horror of what happened to them, but I could have done some more acknowledgement of how this is to them
-Naegi... didn't really get a lot to do, even at the end. Not an argument, not a hope-bullet to be had, and we had more evidence than ever this time around that Junko is a Cheating Cheater who Cheats, so more of a confrontation could have been warranted. Like instead of having some depressed kid in the background, how cool would it have been for Hinata and Naegi to tag-team Munakata, or Chisa, or both together, and destroyed the brainwashing with some good old-fashioned logic? Maybe that would have been too saccharine, but I'm thinking in terms of bookends here, and also the fine tradition of sticking it to Junko Enoshima. That scene in the theater didn't do it for me.

In short: it was okay. A good enough end to things that I'm not too mad, but an ill made enough one that I keep being distracted by what could have been.

• Locked thread