Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I got it on Amazon Prime day at reduced price because I needed a device that supported Pokemon GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
XBOX ONE has the right type of ram (for certain types of workloads that don't usually appear in well written games)!

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Powerline networking. Why did I think it would be faster than wifi? Blew $50 on that poo poo.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

dev286 posted:

Powerline networking. Why did I think it would be faster than wifi? Blew $50 on that poo poo.

Ethernet over power is great for me, gives us internet in the garage which does not have wifi signal because there's a lot of concrete in the way. It's plugged into a wifi router, so now we do have wifi in the garage. Speeds are pretty variable though, 30%-80% of the full bandwidth.

edit: When I say garage, I actually mean VR dungeon.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I wanted to run ethernet everywhere, but at the rate that wifi is getting better it seems kind of pointless. I can get 30 Mb anywhere in the house and 10 Mb on my cell phone from my mailbox.

e: with an n router.

e2: megabit not megabyte.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
:psyduck:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

raspi does a lot for $35

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

The Goatfather posted:

raspi does a lot for $35

Agreed. Especially if you run Pidora so you can be offensive to several language / cultural groups while enjoying the 'great' lonux experience

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The Goatfather posted:

raspi does a lot for $35

ya it corrupts sd cards

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

dev286 posted:

I'm in the same boat, I bought a kit without really understanding the technology, and it did nothing to improve my connection across the home.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I bought this cheap knockoff phone from china

It cost like $85 on amazon. It is unlocked of course, works internationally, and runs Android 5.1, and I can throw it out in two years when I no longer need it.

and it is verykool

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I have a Gravely walk-behind tractor for snow-blowing that never works right and requires constant tuning and maintenance day-to-day. It's got an 8 horse Kohler engine that never produces enough power and has transmission problems. The PTO won't stay engaged unless I use a bungie cord to hold it and it creeps even when out of gear in both ranges. I'm the only one who can get it to cold start and I have to mess with the idle-air mixture every time I run it.

I love it and it's my friend. It's dangerous, from the day's of yore, and terrifying in it's lack of operator safety. But I painted it yellow and green for some reason and it makes me happy. There's my excuse. It took a month of fiddling to get it running in it's current condition. I had to pull the carb something like 10 times until I realized that I was the idiot, found the mixture problem, and got the motherfucker to run.

I love her. This is the version where the governor works. It doesn't work great, but it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4s82S0zn00

If that's not green, I apologize (color-blind). I'm pretty confident that the yellow is yellow.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

if u didn't know you can drain a whole piss on a zune while it still plays

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

the hardest part about peeing on a zune is this boner u get halfway thru when u see the handcraft ingenuity of a perfect mp3 player

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rock solid.
Heart touching.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have and prefer a set of wireless, AA-battery-powered desk peripherals: mouse, keyboard and touchpad. They've been through a small number of NiMH AA's each, but keep going strong, for more than six years. Not sure this would be as doable with peripherals with non-replaceable Lithium-Ion batteries, but frankly, I'd prefer not to know.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

install linux

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I have a cellphone from 2004. It lives on my nightstand, because I use it as an alarm clock, the battery keeps it going if I lose power overnight, and flipping the clamshell open is just enough mental activity to get me moving in the morning.

Flip phones: best alarm clock ever.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

whut tha?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sono posted:

I have a cellphone from 2004. It lives on my nightstand, because I use it as an alarm clock, the battery keeps it going if I lose power overnight, and flipping the clamshell open is just enough mental activity to get me moving in the morning.

Flip phones: best alarm clock ever.

I do this with an old cellphone, too. :):hf::)

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

I live in apartments without insulation and use a Sonic Alert alarm clock that has a vibrating unit to tuck under your mattress. I like it because it's like being nudged awake instead of getting screamed at

I just wear ear buds and set the alarm to the highest audible level for hours because gently caress my lovely rear end in a top hat neighbors

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BirryJoru posted:

I live in apartments without insulation and use a Sonic Alert alarm clock that has a vibrating unit to tuck under your mattress. I like it because it's like being nudged awake instead of getting screamed at

I just wear ear buds and set the alarm to the highest audible level for hours because gently caress my lovely rear end in a top hat neighbors

hello guy who lives above me. i call you Captain Stompey!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
in the interest of full disclosure, it's me, the guy washing dishes at 3 AM

I did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
My TV: "It's only 480p but it downscales HD content so well you can't tell. And it has a wider viewing angle than LCD."

My audio: :"It's just 2 channel stereo, but that's all I need. Anything more than that is just a gimmick, and I don't want speakers all over the place."

My cell phone: "I don't need a smart phone so I just use a burner [Nokia 1600]. It only costs me $5 a month and it lasts for a week on a charge."

naem
May 29, 2011

BirryJoru posted:

I live this same lifestyle but it's in the bay ar-yuh so it costs 5 times as much and if I move elsewhere my pay cuts in half

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

paco650 posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress an mp5 is.

Hope that helps

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I own a Nokia 720 windows phone. It can't play Pokemon Go so there are no excuses anymore

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I can barely afford rent, this 480p TV will have to do.

I can barely afford rent, these decade old speakers will have to do.

I can barely afford rent, this 20 year old chair still works perfectly! Why would I replace it?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Archer666 posted:

I can barely afford rent, this 20 year old chair still works perfectly! Why would I replace it?

Because it smells like 20 years of butt?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

criscodisco posted:

Because it smells like 20 years of butt?

Nothing some Axe bodyspray won't fix!

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
is a baby considered technology

it was ok for a while but i threw it out for making bad noises. on the other hand my fridge makes a lot of weird noises at night and i keep it around, go figure. hah, well life's weird

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I got refunded $900 for a pc that didn't exist. So who cares if the usb ports on the top of the case don't work.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Drunk & Ugly posted:

is a baby considered technology

it was ok for a while but i threw it out for making bad noises. on the other hand my fridge makes a lot of weird noises at night and i keep it around, go figure. hah, well life's weird

Hearing my fridge make weird noises makes me incredibly paranoid that it's breaking down. Every time I hear something I spend days feeling my ice cubes to make sure they're not wet.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Archer666 posted:

I can barely afford rent, this 480p TV will have to do.

I can barely afford rent, these decade old speakers will have to do.

The last time you bought something was when it was actually made to last >1yr
At the very least you have the romance of getting-by.

I have scored some cool stuff rich people have thrown out because 1 of the 4 chairs were hosed (so I got 3 good ones) or they simply bought the next greatest thing and curbed the old one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I don't like proprietary protocols. So everything I own is cobbled together with opensource software and nobody can use it.

The scripts that report my solar generation broke months ago. I have no idea what the output is like. I'll fix it one day.

• Locked thread