Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Heath Ledger skateboarding around the Dark Knight set in his joker getup was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

So I told Jared to climb on the chinook.. he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahaha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Heath Ledger skateboarding around the Dark Knight set in his joker getup was better

He was in character even, but again - it's no Purple Lamborghini.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

So I told Jared to climb on the chinook.. he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahaha!

perfect

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That famous picture was actually photoshopped, but there's a few seconds of video of him riding it around. Unfortunately the video doesn't show much at all.

This one (sorry, best I could find w/ both halves):

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh I knew the kickflip one was fake, I was just talking about the ones of him aimlessly tooling around

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, now we've established that you don't understand the difference between form and content.

"The movie was bland" is not a formal quality. So, as a nice illustration, the content of your post (the implicit assertion that you know what a formal quality is) is contradicted by the form of your post (the misuse of the phrase 'formal quality').

Again, "the movie was bland" is content. The form of your posts is the constant repetition of this phrase without elaboration over multiple paragraphs, bizarre terminology, digressions into conspiracy fantasy, and so-forth.

The confusion of form and content is the likely origin of your weird thoughts, since you can clearly identify content ("there is a blue laser") but have no language to describe form ("it's, uh... bland laser... bland laser..."). Same with your attempts at reading my posts. You can identify basic content, but the form of my writing eludes you ("it's a sausage machine...???"). You are upset about something, but can't articulate it.

You say this as thought terms like bland, repetitive, stale and cliche are somehow ambiguous or obscure, but of course you know exactly what I'm referring to. Your only maneuver here is to try and pull the entire discussion into the brier patch of obtuse jargon that you rely on in all these discussions and arguments, and every time I sarcastically dismiss your attempts to escape down this route you try to make this dismissal into some kind of signifier of your superior taste in films. But of course you understand, as everyone does, exactly what kind of criticism I'm making. There's no need to elaborate in a dozen sentences something that can be stated in one or two, namely that the same handful of plot points, themes, images and even characters have been recycled yet again.

I Before E posted:

Helsing, you say that the "big bad laser thing" is an overused device, and I agree, not many Hollywood movies attempt to do as much with it as Mystery Men did with the Psychofrakulator back in 1999, but I think the way it's done in Suicide Squad, as a sort of whirling mushroom cloud of abstract machinery, is actually pretty interesting and helps reflect the bigger thematic criticism of the technocratic security state. The US government maintains global hegemony using machinery, so the government asset that turns against them creates this sort of abstract expression of Big Machine in the image of one of the greatest weapons of mass destruction of the 20th century.

I submit that this imagery would be a great deal more compelling if it wasn't an almost mandatory feature of every big budget action flick of the last ten years, if not longer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure the kickflip photoshop originated here. Can't remember the theme of the thread.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh I knew the kickflip one was fake, I was just talking about the ones of him aimlessly tooling around

Thesis: Look at this pic of Ledger kickflipping over Batman in full costume
Antithesis: Actually that's a photoshop
Synthesis: Yes, but he actually did skate around in costume between takes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-Skvzil8k

Electromax
May 6, 2007

That was the one I found. I bet he does a sweet kickflip right after he goes behind that concrete pillar.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Electromax posted:

That was the one I found. I bet he does a sweet kickflip right after he goes behind that concrete pillar.

We'll never know...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Helsing posted:

You say this as thought terms like bland, repetitive, stale and cliche are somehow ambiguous or obscure, but of course you know exactly what I'm referring to. Your only maneuver here is to try and pull the entire discussion into the brier patch of obtuse jargon that you rely on in all these discussions and arguments, and every time I sarcastically dismiss your attempts to escape down this route you try to make this dismissal into some kind of signifier of your superior taste in films. But of course you understand, as everyone does, exactly what kind of criticism I'm making. There's no need to elaborate in a dozen sentences something that can be stated in one or two, namely that the same handful of plot points, themes, images and even characters have been recycled yet again.

It's precisely because they're ambiguous or obscure that you can safely deploy them here. No specific part of the movie you actually deign to mention, like that there's a column of blue light or a bunch of faceless monsters, is actually particularly objectionable or damning. You might as well complain about troop transports showing up in a war movie or people going to dinner in a romance. All you end up communicating is that someone somewhere told you you weren't supposed to like the movie.

What's bland, generic, and cliched here is your own posting!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
There's just one more thing, Helsing... if using an oft-repeated narrative tool or plot element is bad, why is Columbo the greatest TV show of all time? That's the one thing I can't figure out...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

There's just one more thing, Helsing... if using an oft-repeated narrative tool or plot element is bad, why is Columbo the greatest TV show of all time? That's the one thing I can't figure out...

*thoughtfully puts finger to lips and wanders back from the door*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A show where after Columbo accused a suspect he did a sweet powerbomb on them while quoting Zizek would be the hypest show in CineD.

• Locked thread