Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I feel like trying to give a certain group special treatment would only lead to more problems down the line. A regular person who rushes at an officer with a knife would get shot. Why should a mentally ill person be given a special pass? The exact opposite applies too. If the person who had been playing with a toy truck wasn't autistic, would that make things any different? For what it's worth, the counselor who was shot was not autistic.

People balk when rich and famous are given special treatment, why should mentally ill be held to a different standard? Everyone should be given equal treatment. This means better training all across the board. Especially for idiotic trigger happy policemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Baltimore prosecutors drop all remaining charges in Freddie Gray case

Prosecutors on Wednesday dropped all charges against the three officers awaiting trial in the Freddie Gray case, effectively closing the books on the high-profile case and leaving the state without a conviction in the 25-year-old’s arrest and death, which sparked protests and riots in the city last year.

The move came in a hearing that was supposed to mark the beginning of the trial against Officer Garrett Miller, the fifth officer to be tried in the case. Prosecutor Michael Schatzow told Judge Barry G. Williams that the state would dismiss all charges against Miller, as well as Sgt. Alicia White and Officer William Porter, who were set for trial in the coming months.

Prosecutors charged six officers in Gray’s arrest and death. Three were recently acquitted on all charges following bench trials. Porter’s case in December ended in a hung jury.

The top prosecutor, who has previously been under a gag order, also was critical of the police. She made accusations of abnormalities in the investigation of Gray’s death, saying there were individual officers who were witnesses and also were part of the investigation. She said lead detectives were “uncooperative” and that search warrants were not executed. Mosby also said officers created videos to “disprove the state’s case.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...0e2d_story.html

Stay safe Baltimore.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
When are the next riots? I need to dvr cuz I'm going on vaca

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I feel like trying to give a certain group special treatment would only lead to more problems down the line. A regular person who rushes at an officer with a knife would get shot. Why should a mentally ill person be given a special pass? The exact opposite applies too. If the person who had been playing with a toy truck wasn't autistic, would that make things any different? For what it's worth, the counselor who was shot was not autistic.

People balk when rich and famous are given special treatment, why should mentally ill be held to a different standard? Everyone should be given equal treatment. This means better training all across the board. Especially for idiotic trigger happy policemen.

With that logic, you might as well not have the police use different tactics on the deaf, blind, or physically disabled. If it's a factor that the person has no reasonable control over, you don't handle the situation the same as your average person.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fargo Fukes posted:

I was hearing the other day about the U.S. military, about how they overhauled their training programs after discovering that most soldiers don't actually shoot to kill in combat situations. The average person, even when given weapons training, will avoid aiming to kill the enemy and will generally just fire to make noise and suppress because killing someone who isn't about to kill you is actually really loving hard. So the American military (along with most other first-world militaries, I imagine) overhauled their combat training to include a whole bunch of Skinnerian conditioning - training their soldiers to shoot to kill as an automatic, physical response, to fight back before their higher brain functions have time to wonder if they should really be killing people. As a result modern U.S. infantry are pretty loving terrifying.

Then they leave the army and become cops.

regular cops are usually people the army rejected, combat veterans join swat

also swat teams love murdering veterans. it's an odd dynamic

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Buca di Bepis posted:

regular cops are usually people the army rejected, combat veterans join swat

also swat teams love murdering veterans. it's an odd dynamic

thankfully, last time i was out barefoot in the street and tripping balls it was my ex-military police friend who vouched for my usual sobriety and made sure i didn't get manhandled by the other two officers

at the time i thought he was a cosmic demon, though

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Egbert Souse posted:

With that logic, you might as well not have the police use different tactics on the deaf, blind, or physically disabled. If it's a factor that the person has no reasonable control over, you don't handle the situation the same as your average person.

That sounds discriminatory?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If the gun was black this wouldn't happen

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darth123123 posted:

That sounds discriminatory?

Yeah, if the cops yell at me to put my hands up and can shoot me if I don't why should some person who only has the excuse of literally being deaf not have to do the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.wbrz.com/news/blue-light-bulbs-out-of-stock-at-local-businesses-following-police-shooting

putting a strip of blue painters tape on the back window of your truck is also a nice tribute to the boys in blue if you're retarded

• Locked thread