Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Post in this thread if you want to chat about good movies, your favorite actor, an excellent film score, or whatever movie related you want to chat about!

I'd like to take the time to give some amazing kudos to some of the best make-up effects i've seen in a film in a very long time. Of course I am talking about the 2012 version of Victor Hugo's classic Les Misérables

The image presented here is really all you need, although you must watch to film to see the constistency of makeup designer Lisa Wescott. While they kept Hugh basically the same, Russell Crowe makes an amazing performance as Fantine, all with Anne Hathaway's face! The same for Anne, she is made up like Amanda Seyfried to play a very convincing Cosette. The shift continues to the most compelling choice of all, Amanda Seyfried cast as the dogged lawman Javert, all while wearing a rather grizzled and worn face and voice of Russell Crowe. The casting and makeup choices really accent Tom Hooper's choices in depicting a morally gray revolutionary France, where people's motives and morals may not be what they seem, except the obviously just yet morally pained Jean Valjean, played by Hugh Jackman with his own face. A wonderful film indeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Vamp.

Vamp is the best movie.

It stars Grace Jones as a vampire who owns a strip club. It features the stunningly sexy Robert Rusler, and Gedde Watanabe is excellent as comic relief.

And the credits have a special thanks to Lava Simplex Internationale. What else could one ask for?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

Actually I'm the best movie

FluffieDuckie

mister magpie posted:

Post in this thread if you want to chat about good movies, your favorite actor, an excellent film score, or whatever movie related you want to chat about!

I'd like to take the time to give some amazing kudos to some of the best make-up effects i've seen in a film in a very long time. Of course I am talking about the 2012 version of Victor Hugo's classic Les Misérables

The image presented here is really all you need, although you must watch to film to see the constistency of makeup designer Lisa Wescott. While they kept Hugh basically the same, Russell Crowe makes an amazing performance as Fantine, all with Anne Hathaway's face! The same for Anne, she is made up like Amanda Seyfried to play a very convincing Cosette. The shift continues to the most compelling choice of all, Amanda Seyfried cast as the dogged lawman Javert, all while wearing a rather grizzled and worn face and voice of Russell Crowe. The casting and makeup choices really accent Tom Hooper's choices in depicting a morally gray revolutionary France, where people's motives and morals may not be what they seem, except the obviously just yet morally pained Jean Valjean, played by Hugh Jackman with his own face. A wonderful film indeed!

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BYOBronson

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Lord of War:
One of very few good Nicholas Cage movies where he nails the role extremely well. Amazing movie, I still consider it to be one of the best I've ever seen, more so it's based on real poo poo happening and most of the weapons, tanks that you see in the movie are actualy real (which gives some food for thought).
The movie is about Nicolas Cage and his brother whom goes from being chefs to arm dealers... I won't say more since I feel it would spoil the movie.

It's not a documentary, not an action movie, not a comedy, it's a serious movie - but in no way a dull one - it has elements from several genres.

And don't watch the trailer- it's complete poo poo.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/

<3 <3 Vanisher

ToastedCrumbs
Max Manus: Man of War

Fantastic Norwegian WWII movie with a very visually impressive opening scene.
It drags on at some points, but still a fantastic movie methinks.

Here's the IMDB page on it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029235/

deep dish peat moss

I know The Hobbit trilogy didn't get very good reviews, a lot of people castigate the special effects but it's just the cameras you need to blame. A lot of people are confused and they think, oh, with the highest film budget of all time they should have had better CGI, but this is one of those movies that's better appreciated when you understand its production. They didn't use CGI for these films at all which sounds unbelievable, they were actually filmed on location in Middle Earth but due to something with the magic there the cameras could only film in low framerates which makes the whole thing look unrealistic. The majority of the budget went to paying the dragon because as you can imagine, dragons do not work cheap.

Afro Doug

ToastedCrumbs posted:

Max Manus: Man of War

Fantastic Norwegian WWII movie with a very visually impressive opening scene.
It drags on at some points, but still a fantastic movie methinks.

Here's the IMDB page on it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029235/
it's on hulu. i'm gonna check it out

e - actually just clips. poo poo

Afro Doug fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 29, 2016

Ace of Baes
my wife wanted to see the new independence day, it was bad, but Jeff good luck is good

deep dish peat moss

mister magpie posted:

sorry about your thread but I liked it

BoldFrankensteinMir

The best thing I watched recently was The Wiz (1978).

I had seen it before but it was when I was a kid, and I totally missed the point of it (but still was entertained, so it totally works as a family picture). This time I got a lot more out of it. Here are some thoughts:

-The cast and crew of this thing are bonkers. I always knew, even as a kid, that Michael Jackson and Diana Ross being in a movie together was some kind of big deal, but now that I'm familiar with Richard Pryor, Nipsey Russel, Lena Horne etc. I realize how star-studded it is. Everybody is great, there's really not a single bad performance. Sidney Lumet shows off some pretty amazing range here (this is the man who also directed Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and Network!), and you read that poster right, a young Joel Schumacher adapted the screenplay. It kinda makes sense thinking about the '95 and '97 Batmans, when you think of Joel as an up-and-comer working for Lumet on this project.

-It also stands on its own in the oevre of movies about the black experience. It's set in a fanciful New York where cartoony checker cabs rumble from set piece to set piece ignoring black people's signals, and that's just the overt top layer of symbolism going on. Lower Manhattan is as scary for a black girl who has "never been below 125th street" as Oz was to Dorothy. I think it's strange that in the 70's there was this upswell of black culture that had a lot to say about poverty, but then in the 80's when American culture became obsessed with money and success suddenly it was racist to talk about black people being poor. Then Dr. Huxtable came along and... well, in 2016 let's just say fortunes change. My point is that 70's African American Cinema has some very adamant causes at stake and in the best of those films your perception of race issues are changed. Maybe not your opinions, but at least your lay of the land. I think the time that's elapsed since this movie was made has only broadened what it has to say.

-The usual complaints I hear about it are that Diana Ross is too old for the part of Dorothy and that the effects are campy or theatrical. But I think those are intentional choices, because Judy Garland is way too old in The Wizard of Oz (1939) too. Dorothy is six years old in the books. In the same way the effects in The Wiz nod to Woz ('39) but they're also inventive and memorable in their own right. So I'm not too bothered by these flaws.

-Really well edited. Small set-pieces are transformed into long tense chases with good solid editing and smart photography.

-It's a musical where the actors can actually sing and dance well, the songs are catchy and they don't stop the story. So rare.

Sig by Heather Papps

Schrecken

Child of Woe
My favorite Oz-related movie is "Return to Oz"

The poster does not do the movie justice.

Just look at these sets and the production value. Very good character designs and effects as well. As a child, this and House (1986) were my favorite films to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfmR4rEeHU

Schrecken fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 31, 2016

Salmiakki

Shakill OReal posted:

sorry about your thread but I liked it

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal

I watched Zardoz on tv without know about any of the weirdness or pop culture reference jokes and enjoyed it. the plot was unusual and the actoring great and I liked the costumes being weird but cool. I pray it's never remade

• Locked thread