Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, so some backstory. Two years ago I bought a preowned 2011 Ford Fiesta. Had under 16K miles on the clock, drove great in the test drives. After actually receiving the car, I noticed some of the jerky transmission problems I had read others experiencing, so I brought it in, and was told there was nothing wrong. But every time I drove, driving felt off. Gear changes were lethargic at best and very slam-you-forward esque at other times, accelerating was like driving over cobblestone, and sometimes accelerating would rev the car, but felt like no power would get to the wheels.

So over the past two years, I would bring it in for the scheduled services (they were free, what can I say, I should have known better) and bring it up every time, and every time I got it back, I was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and I would argue back saying anybody who actually rode in the car would ask what was up with it every time. Once, I was helpfully told "Unfortunately, the jerkiness is normal for that transmission."

Fast forward to July 4th weekend. The dash lights came on, and a very helpful message on my display told me there was a "Transmission Error, Service Now". I brought it in July 6th. The week after they said they were ordering a replacement Transmission Control Module for the car, saying that the current one burned out. Last Friday, I got a call saying the TCM did not fix it, and the problem was still existing.

What is the procedure if they can't figure out what is wrong with my car? It's been 20 days so far, and they don't sound like they're any closer to figuring out what the gently caress is wrong with it. Has anybody else ever have to deal with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
They know what's wrong with it, it needs a new transmission. The failure rate on the DCT has been really high and I have even read that ford has been helping people with them outside of warranty.

So I would guess that they are waiting for someone from ford corporate to approve the repair or they are stalling until your willing to pay out of pocket to get the car back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you mean from a legal perspective - lemon laws in most states (if not all, I've never heard of anything to the contrary) only cover the original purchaser of the vehicle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rdb posted:

They know what's wrong with it, it needs a new transmission. The failure rate on the DCT has been really high and I have even read that ford has been helping people with them outside of warranty.

So I would guess that they are waiting for someone from ford corporate to approve the repair or they are stalling until your willing to pay out of pocket to get the car back.

It is overwhelmingly likely to be this. Your best course of action is to dig deep inside yourself and become the biggest, most unimaginable oval office of a customer they have ever seen. Unfortunately the way it works is that the louder and more rudely you scream, the faster the issue will be resolved. Talk to the manager. Threaten to talk to his boss and threaten him with talking to ford corporate. Make as big a stink as you can possibly make and they'll magically have a transmission for you. They're pushing back at you because the dealer usually has to foot part/all of the labour costs in repairs like that and corporate will only pay for the part itself; it's also possible that by doing this for so long they've painted themselves into a corner and fear that corporate will force them to pay for the entire repair because of their failure to address the issue in the first place despite your car having perfect service records.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Slavvy posted:

It is overwhelmingly likely to be this. Your best course of action is to dig deep inside yourself and become the biggest, most unimaginable oval office of a customer they have ever seen. Unfortunately the way it works is that the louder and more rudely you scream, the faster the issue will be resolved. Talk to the manager. Threaten to talk to his boss and threaten him with talking to ford corporate. Make as big a stink as you can possibly make and they'll magically have a transmission for you. They're pushing back at you because the dealer usually has to foot part/all of the labour costs in repairs like that and corporate will only pay for the part itself; it's also possible that by doing this for so long they've painted themselves into a corner and fear that corporate will force them to pay for the entire repair because of their failure to address the issue in the first place despite your car having perfect service records.

If your dealer has a Facebook/twitter account, bitch to it. Do the same to Ford's.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

go3 posted:

If your dealer has a Facebook/twitter account, bitch to it. Do the same to Ford's.

Shows how :corsair: I am because this hadn't even occurred to me but it's also a very good idea.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

Oh I'm sure it does. I've said it to them before, even mentioning some safety concerns.

go3 posted:

And this is a great idea, gonna do that. Hopefully something comes of that, but I'm doubtful. The dealership doesn't have a very active Facebook page, so Ford Corporate it is!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Combatace posted:

And this is a great idea, gonna do that. Hopefully something comes of that, but I'm doubtful. The dealership doesn't have a very active Facebook page, so Ford Corporate it is!

That's the wonderful thing about social media. Back in the day, you'd write a letter or email to corporate, and some lackey would send you a form letter and you'd never get resolution. Publicly shame them on Twitter, though, and they'll (hopefully) fall over themselves trying to resolve it before that poo poo goes viral.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Most large entities with a social media presence will have someone watching the pages and replying to messages trying to keep people happy. I've had great luck with it so far after spending seemingly half my life on the phone trying to unfuck someone else's mess. Once with Microsoft and a second time with a large hospital group. Days of getting nowhere with phone calls, then a quick Facebook message or two and I've got a manager calling me the next day ready to help.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Delivery McGee posted:

That's the wonderful thing about social media. Back in the day, you'd write a letter or email to corporate, and some lackey would send you a form letter and you'd never get resolution. Publicly shame them on Twitter, though, and they'll (hopefully) fall over themselves trying to resolve it before that poo poo goes viral.
It's an easier version of "Unless you want a 20' billboard trailer outside your dealership telling everyone what I think of you..."

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Combatace posted:

Hey guys, so some backstory. Two years ago I bought a preowned 2011 Ford Fiesta. Had under 16K miles on the clock, drove great in the test drives. After actually receiving the car, I noticed some of the jerky transmission problems I had read others experiencing, so I brought it in, and was told there was nothing wrong. But every time I drove, driving felt off. Gear changes were lethargic at best and very slam-you-forward esque at other times.

I kinda feel for them a bit. I had one as a rental, and only by going into it knowing it was a dry clutch stopped me from thinking something was wrong. I bet 99.9% of people buy it thinking its a slushbox automatic, and the actual gear changes freak them the gently caress out as they have never had a manual.

Granted, it was pretty lethargic on shifts when I was counting on it. Led to some fantastic lack of power when it was neccesary.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey gang.

So I have a fun update. Ford ended up holding my car for 43 long, uncommunicative days. I had it back for a day or two before the CEL came back on, so I lost it for another week.

I got it back yesterday. I started it this morning to move it. Tried to start it again to go somewhere 20 minutes later and the engine doesn't turn over at all. The radio comes on, the dash lights up, but the engine doesn't do anything.

Realistically, do I have any more options to me in regards to this? I move across the country in less than five days and it would be really nice to have a car to do that in.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well it sounds the battery is dead, which may be unrelated to the original issue.

I'm guessing the battery is not covered under any warranty at this point, and possibly original and thus past due for replacement, but it may be worth getting that checked/replaced on your own?

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
I had a leased Xterra pro4x recently and its rear differential bugged out about a month before I had to return it. Nissan replaced it for free, offered me a loaner car too while they were at it. The entire process took about a week and a half and the slowest part was them contacting their HQ for instructions. No idea what happened to the diff. I was driving up 87 and a bunch of lights came on (ABS, TCS, etc) all at once and the car idled and braked a little funny afterwards. They found water inside it and I have no clue where it came from since I haven't been off-road in a long time. I am guessing your dealership is going back and forth with HQ right now figuring out if they should keep trying to fix your car or replace it. Have you tried contacting their corporate office?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Keep at it. They either get to the point where they can't fix it and offer to buy it back, get you into another car or they fix it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why would they offer to buy it back? Lemon laws don't apply on used cars.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
A lot of the DCT trans problems will also cause a no start as a result of the car not knowing if it's really in park/neutral. Try holding the key in the crank/start position and moving the shifter back and forth from N to P and back. Also, burn it down expect for a couple parts that I need for mine.

I just bought a 2012 Fiesta with trans issues :ssh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why would they offer to buy it back? Lemon laws don't apply on used cars.

If it's still under warranty, they have to fix it or buy it back. I had a vehicle that was past the 1 year lemon law for my state that was unfixable that was bought back.

Edit: Guess a 2011 isn't under warranty anymore, maybe the 5 year powertrain is still going?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Combatace posted:

Hey gang.

So I have a fun update. Ford ended up holding my car for 43 long, uncommunicative days. I had it back for a day or two before the CEL came back on, so I lost it for another week.

I got it back yesterday. I started it this morning to move it. Tried to start it again to go somewhere 20 minutes later and the engine doesn't turn over at all. The radio comes on, the dash lights up, but the engine doesn't do anything.

Realistically, do I have any more options to me in regards to this? I move across the country in less than five days and it would be really nice to have a car to do that in.

Ford held the car, or your dealer held the car? There is a difference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Larrymer posted:

If it's still under warranty, they have to fix it or buy it back. I had a vehicle that was past the 1 year lemon law for my state that was unfixable that was bought back.

Edit: Guess a 2011 isn't under warranty anymore, maybe the 5 year powertrain is still going?

The DCT warranties are now 7/100K so it should be covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm so glad the Fiesta I had was a 5-speed :eek:

• Locked thread