Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rakovsky maybe posted:

White liberals slobbering over Coates' writing is more annoying than he is as a writer. His stuff ranges from good to bad but having to listen to a paleskin coworker who exclusively posts BLM memes on Facebook about how you "have to read" his new article is a huge turn off.

i've only ever read the article i linked. i think i avoided his other writing since everything is downhill after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
AJAM tried to be good but failed because of it. Washington Post (washpo :rolleyes:) is becoming really suspect, I quit reading it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
why does the media refuse to report on killdozer anniversaries

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

dethkon posted:

AJAM tried to be good but failed because of it. Washington Post (washpo :rolleyes:) is becoming really suspect, I quit reading it.

yeah washington post is crap now. dunno if it's just a coincidence that bezos(amazon) bought it around the same time

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
OP, some of the Atlantic's web only articles are worth reading, but their online election coverage is largely the same day in and day out. I've found their magazine to have some excellent longform articles, so I subscribe to that and the New Yorker.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

H.H posted:

unironically this.

I can't count the number of times I've heard a report of a news event and went to GBS to find the relevant thread.
The trick is to read only the first few pages, before it inevitably deteriorates into a retarded slapfight over semantics and/or unresolvable political viewpoints expressed with the dumbest talking points this side of Bill O'Reilly.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've only ever read the article i linked. i think i avoided his other writing since everything is downhill after that.

Problem is that it isn't a case for reparations- it's a case for localized social spending programs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i'd pay $200 to stop feeling like i have to be extra polite around black people

is that the bargain we make with reparations

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

Problem is that it isn't a case for reparations- it's a case for localized social spending programs.

those would be reparations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

those would be reparations.

Yeah I guess, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be expanded to lovely white communities and at that point it seems like reparations isn't the best word for it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh god not this again.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
who's the most respected anti-clinton author since we have to watch this poo poo with hitchens dead? is there anybody good or is it just fox news and trump fans thinking up new nicknames for her but nobody knows how to tell a story

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

May God drat these totally valid criticisms!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

thebaffler.com

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
hello me name is trumpstomper58. i started reading huffpo when I was young, i really got into their brand of ironic humor identity politics. eventually I started saying stuff like "trump is a fascist" and "berniebros hate women" and "yaaaaassssss hillary" until I couldn't stop, basically prodromal schizophrenia...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thathonkey posted:

yeah washington post is crap now. dunno if it's just a coincidence that bezos(amazon) bought it around the same time
washington post has been poo poo for years before that. i thin that they still have terminally wrong bill kristol as a regular op-ed contributor, and he was too lovely even for the ny times. plus they used to employ matt yglesias before he left to form Vox, and he proudly calls himself a "wonk," which should be grounds for getting five-minute swirlies every day

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doctor J Off posted:

Journalism is a dead industry coasting on ads masquerading as articles, and stupid opinion pages, and also terrible lifestyle pieces in which the writer expounds upon their mundane life and relationships for whatever half-assed point or sob story, le than Ian guy the other month who made a cuckold of himself.

In short, I concur with the above posters' sentiments that GBS is a better source for news than the established media, and the irreverent humor cuts to the core of issues in a kind of Swiftian wit, and furthermore

hahahahaha

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah I guess, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be expanded to lovely white communities and at that point it seems like reparations isn't the best word for it.

how dare you?

how. dare. you.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Vegetable posted:

NY Times is still great. LA Times and WaPo close behind. Economist is its own beast and far better at world news. Can't complain about their writing IMO.

I did a full list of reading sources the other day, might post it here later

post the list.

also longform.org is a good aggregator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

extra stout posted:

who's the most respected anti-clinton author since we have to watch this poo poo with hitchens dead? is there anybody good or is it just fox news and trump fans thinking up new nicknames for her but nobody knows how to tell a story
Hitchens waa a giant knob slobber for war on the middle east so he would probably love her

The best journalism was probably the onion but now that Clinton's biggest doNor bought them they have started to suck

• Locked thread