Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There's only 2 of them, right? Everybody had knives they can stick in their necks, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Either we kill them or they potentially give the rest of the Soviet advance a hint where we went.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Good point, I missed that there were only two of them. Could go for some impromptu interrogation, too.

Roll Recon to see how close I can sneak?
EDIT
Just looked it up, 300m is actually really loving far, guess we're driving. Recon roll to make sure there's not more dudes we don't see.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 9, 2016

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Sweet driving roll. I guess you just do a sick wheelie, ramp off the buring T-72, and land on the looters?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rockopolis posted:

Sweet driving roll. I guess you just do a sick wheelie, ramp off the buring T-72, and land on the looters?

You know what to do, PinheadSlim

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sorry, just noticed this game is still alive lol, will post in a bit.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If you're confused about how combat in Twilight 2000 works don't worry, it's kind of odd but luckily it sort of lends itself well to PbP format. Just post a brief description of what you'd like to do during your turn. You're limited to six "actions", feel free to be as specific or loose as you want.
You can choose to pick out six actions from the rulebook and post them in a list, or you can state how you want your character to react to the current situation.

Forget about hesitation actions, I've homebrewed those out entirely and just turned Coolness Under Fire into a sort of initiative.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pinhead, what's our range?

Also I just realized I need to wait and see what Drives does, because my natural inclination is to take an action to Aim before each shot, but you can't Aim from a moving vehicle.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

You first spotted them and estimated their distance to be around 250 meters, you've closed about half that distance driving towards them in one turn, so something like 125 meters. Keep in mind I know the exact distance, but your characters can only estimate.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So what's the consensus? Get out and aim or attempt to drive over them?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I suggest the option that doesn't risk our main method of conveyance.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The M16 has a Short range of 50 meters; that means Medium range is 100 meters and 150 meters is Long range.

The target number on a direct fire attack is (Skill)*0.6 at Short range, (Skill)*0.3 at Medium, and (Skill)*0.1 at Long.

What that means is that at 50 meters away, with a CRM of 80, Zeke (and anyone else with a skill at 80) needs a 48 on a d100 to hit the bad guys, at 51-100 meters it's a 24, and at 101-150 it's an 8. Now, if you take an Action to Aim you double that number (so 96, 48, 16), so aiming helps a lot - and you can't aim from a moving vehicle. Having said that, right now we're at Medium range if we're lucky; odds are we're at Long, so getting a hit isn't that likely even if we aim.

It might not be a terrible idea to take a round to get closer - but Forums Terrorist's concerns about damage to our vehicle isn't a small issue. It's a trade-off; if we get closer we have a chance to hit the bad guys without using up all our bullets, but we put our vehicle at greater risk.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The M16 has a Short range of 50 meters; that means Medium range is 100 meters and 150 meters is Long range.

The target number on a direct fire attack is (Skill)*0.6 at Short range, (Skill)*0.3 at Medium, and (Skill)*0.1 at Long.

What that means is that at 50 meters away, with a CRM of 80, Zeke (and anyone else with a skill at 80) needs a 48 on a d100 to hit the bad guys, at 51-100 meters it's a 24, and at 101-150 it's an 8. Now, if you take an Action to Aim you double that number (so 96, 48, 16), so aiming helps a lot - and you can't aim from a moving vehicle. Having said that, right now we're at Medium range if we're lucky; odds are we're at Long, so getting a hit isn't that likely even if we aim.

It might not be a terrible idea to take a round to get closer - but Forums Terrorist's concerns about damage to our vehicle isn't a small issue. It's a trade-off; if we get closer we have a chance to hit the bad guys without using up all our bullets, but we put our vehicle at greater risk.

Minor correction, but long is twice medium so long would be 200 meters with the M16.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

For further info:

If we stop and get out, a soldier on foot can crawl 2 meters in an action, walk 8 meters, trot 15 meters, and run 30 (!) meters, so we can definitely close the gap without the Humvee. If we do decide to drive forward, the HMMWV has a listed combat speed of 70/25; these are, if I'm reading these fairly arcane rules properly, the safe speeds on-road and off-road. So the HMMWV can cover 70 meters safely (we're on a dirt road IIRC, so it might be smarter to drop that down to 50 meters or so to lower the odds of a mishap) in a single action, giving us 5 actions left this turn to do things like 'find cover' and 'shoot baddies' - though I'm presuming that 'get out and take cover and/or drop prone' would take an action in and of itself.

So if we take the 'drive closer before engaging' option, Action One would take place inside the vehicle (shooting or just holding on, whichever), Action Two would be exiting the vehicle (maybe Drives could put the thing in reverse and back it out of easy engagement range while we do this?), and Actions Three Through Six would be firing.

If we take the 'start shooting immediately' option, we can engage from the HMMWV immediately, or take an action to exit it and then start shooting and/or moving on our own.

(Please correct me if I have any of this wrong, PinheadSlim)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Too late, I already did the thing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

Too late, I already did the thing.

Yes but it was a good thing IMHO. :D

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

For further info:

If we stop and get out, a soldier on foot can crawl 2 meters in an action, walk 8 meters, trot 15 meters, and run 30 (!) meters, so we can definitely close the gap without the Humvee. If we do decide to drive forward, the HMMWV has a listed combat speed of 70/25; these are, if I'm reading these fairly arcane rules properly, the safe speeds on-road and off-road. So the HMMWV can cover 70 meters safely (we're on a dirt road IIRC, so it might be smarter to drop that down to 50 meters or so to lower the odds of a mishap) in a single action, giving us 5 actions left this turn to do things like 'find cover' and 'shoot baddies' - though I'm presuming that 'get out and take cover and/or drop prone' would take an action in and of itself.

So if we take the 'drive closer before engaging' option, Action One would take place inside the vehicle (shooting or just holding on, whichever), Action Two would be exiting the vehicle (maybe Drives could put the thing in reverse and back it out of easy engagement range while we do this?), and Actions Three Through Six would be firing.

If we take the 'start shooting immediately' option, we can engage from the HMMWV immediately, or take an action to exit it and then start shooting and/or moving on our own.

(Please correct me if I have any of this wrong, PinheadSlim)

It looks like you're getting a grasp on the specific rules of this game, which is impressive lol. Once everyone has posted their actions I'll resolve the combat turn. Just saw your post in the game thread, looks like you did everything right to me!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

It looks like you're getting a grasp on the specific rules of this game, which is impressive lol. Once everyone has posted their actions I'll resolve the combat turn. Just saw your post in the game thread, looks like you did everything right to me!

It helps having... ah... found a copy of the 1st edition box set to peruse. :D

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So if I'm reading these rules right, I've still got 3 combat actions left?

So far:
Action 1: Drive closer
Action 2: Drive closer

Right?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

So if I'm reading these rules right, I've still got 3 combat actions left?

So far:
Action 1: Drive closer
Action 2: Drive closer

Right?

You get six actions (one action a round, six rounds in a turn). So if you're using two actions for Drive Closer, you can use the other four to do whatever else.

So you could go "1. Drive Closer 2. Drive Closer 3. Come to a stop while turning the side of the vehicle towards the enemy so that any incoming fire hits the side and not the engine block 4. Shoot 5. Shoot 6. Shoot"

Or you could go "1. Drive Closer 2. Drive Closer 3. Drive really fast and try to hit a dude with the Humvee 4. Drive further away 5. Turn around 6. Drive really fast and try to hit the other dude with the Humvee"

Or anything else, really.

(Yes, you can run people down with your vehicle. Yes, there appear to be rules for that sort of thing. No, I'm not 100% on how they work just yet but there are rules for whether or not you panic like a deer in the headlights when someone is trying to do it to you, so there must be rules for doing it to someone else, right?)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

You absolutely can run people down with a vehicle, and

As the "referee" (Twilights funny word for game master) I'd determine that looking for a spot to dismount is an easy task, don't forget every skill roll is "ESY, AVG, or DIF", and on an ESY task you just have to roll under twice your skill. Having 50 in a skill essentially means you will always succeed on an easy task.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Excellently rolled, the enemy failed their firing rolls miserably lol.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Excellently rolled, the enemy failed their firing rolls miserably lol.

I was all set to say "Hey that soldier crumpled pretty fast" but then I found the section on NPC health:

quote:

It is not necessary to keep track of hits to NPCs or animals in detail, and this simplified rule reduces bookkeeping. (If the referee decides that a particular NPC is of special importance, he may treat him as a player character.) NPCs have only a single hit capacity, equal to 2D10 x 2.

...and went "Ohhhhhh, that's right, mooks are crunchy in this game."

That is a heck of a relief, I've gotta say.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I was all set to say "Hey that soldier crumpled pretty fast" but then I found the section on NPC health:

...and went "Ohhhhhh, that's right, mooks are crunchy in this game."

That is a heck of a relief, I've gotta say.

Haha yeah, it really helps for the major battles in a campgain when it can be entire platoons or even 250 man companies fighting.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nice Threads reference. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

this right here is faillingforward.txt

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sorry for the absence, game should get going again tonight, tomorrow at the latest. Real life took a dump on me but I'm back, baby :dukedoge:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

A thought struck me, and while it would never strike Zeke, I can't help but think that a working Game Boy that escaped destruction could indicate a bunker somewhere or other, somewhere that escaped the effect of the EMPs.

Somewhere that might be important for us to know about, sometime down the line. Just saying.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sorry for the doublepost, but:

Psst PinheadSlim what do I find in the truck

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sorry for the doublepost, but:

Psst PinheadSlim what do I find in the truck

Sorry, I edited my last post in the game thread :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Sorry, I edited my last post in the game thread :D

No worries, I figured you just missed it. :)

Also, since I'm assuming we'll come across a supply cache or three with all our various "starting equipment" in it ('cause I'm pretty sure if we already had the poo poo we all bought we'd never fit in a Humvee), I figure I should buy the rest of my poo poo, huh? I had $5086 left to spend.

Let's grab:

AT-4 Antitank Missile Launcher (3000)
--1 missile (750)
(typically the AT4 is designed as a single-shot disposable unit but since the game gives me the ability to buy ammo for it I'm assuming we're using some kind of retrofit or whatever)
Case of 20 blocks of plastic explosive (650)
Mule (600)
--Pack Saddle (40)

Leaving $46 in assorted gold coins and/or trade goods.

• Locked thread