Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Russian goes to G2.
Actions:
E5: Move both to F6.
F6: 1 moves to G6.
B3: Moves to C3.
E2: Moves to D3.

Doomsday:
E5 dies instead of E6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Radiation spreads. Refugee lands at B3.

Active: J1 & L4, refugee K7
Next: E1 & L5

USSR STARVATION
E4 - one USSR civ dies

USSR ACTION
Viy, avenge the death of Comrade Whatshisfaceski.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Ok, I think I need to start being more aggressive.

Move J3 to J4.
Threaten J5 x3, moving all units to K5.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads. Refugee lands at K7.

Active: E1 & L5
Next: F1 & K6

US STARVATION
J1 - neutral civ dies
K7 - neutral civ dies
L4 - USSR civ dies
K5 - 2 US civs die

US ACTION
Hobo, can you still take control over this charnel house?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
One last push.
Militarize: D3 and H6.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads. E1 spreads to E2.

Active: F1 & K6
Next: K7 & E2

USSR STARVATION
L5 - neutral civ dies

USSR ACTION
Viy, your moves?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Ugh, this is a tight spot.

Ok:

Move supply depot from G2 to G3.
Move stack from E4 to F4.
Move one civilian from H3 to H4.

F1 is already dead, so put the radiation marker on G2.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads.

Active: K7 & E2
Next: B4 & K7

US STARVATION
G2 - both civs are starving, and must flee.

Hobo, please decide on a destination. (You may also take your actions, or wait for an updated map, your call.)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
One commie to F3, one to H3.

Actions:
Soldier in H6 move to G5, then to G4, then attacks the enemy in G3. G3 dies.
Soldier in D3 moves to C3.

This is getting brutal!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

E2 radiation spreads. Hobo, you want it in D3 or E3?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, E3.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads. Hoo boy, does it spread.

Active: B4 & K7
Next: E6 & D3, refugee B3

USSR STARVATION
F3 - USSR civ dies
F4 - USSR civ dies
H3 - USSR civ dies
K7 - Neutral civ dies
:black101:

USSR ACTION
Viy, your response?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 15, 2016

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Dang, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory :(

Militarise in F3 and F4.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads from B4 to C4 and from K7 to J6.

Active: E6 & D3, refugee B3
Next: C5 & E1, refugee A2

US STARVATION
No one starves. Hooray!

US ACTION
Hobo, you've evened the keel, can you bring the ship home?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I can't help but think that the guy in H8 actully got the best deal in all of this.

Pressgang in B3, move the new patriot to C3.
Move soldier from C3 to D4, then to E4.
Move F6 to F5.

F6 dies in the doomsday.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads, refugee lands at B3.

Active: C5 & E1, refugee A2
Next: H8 & L4, refugee J1

USSR STARVATION
None

USSR ACTION
Viy, the clock is ticking. Can you save Antarctica from capitalism (and also radiation)?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

F4 attack E4. F4 is dead.
F3 move to E3, then D4.
H4 move to G4.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads from E1 to F3.

Viy, where would you like C5 to spread to?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Whoops, put it on D6.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Radiation spreads, refugee lands at B3. Refugee is immediately sad.

Active: H8 & L4, refugee J1
Next: A2 & K7, refugee C6

US STARVATION
B3 - Neutral civ dies.

US ACTION
US, to action!

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

I've got a few corner case questions you might want to clear up in the rules (hope this is helpful).

1. If a unit is adjacent to an enemy supply depot, and is starving, then under some circumstances they could save themselves by defecting without moving. Is this possible? (I'm guessing not but it should maybe be called out in the rules.)

2. Can the starvation phase 'jump back' from Die to Defect? For example, imagine a line of three dirty snow hexes - the first has 2 Russian civs, the second has a US and a neutral civ, and the third has two Russian civs on a supply depot.
The US civ will die, after which the starving Russian civ can move into the space left by the US civ. Is this possible? Or is it a matter of once you have moved to the 'Die' step, you can't do anything else except die?

Hope this is helpful and not just nitpicking :)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

1) ...This has never come up. Thank you for pointing that out. Will figure out for v0.64.

2) I think this is a misunderstanding? Starvation as a whole isn't broken into sub-phases.

Rather, to resolve starvation, you choose a hex, then resolve Flee/Defect/Die in order for that hex. Then you choose another hex, and resolve Flee/Defect/Die in order there, et cetera.

I should probably clarify in v0.64.

(And no, this is EXACTLY what playtesting is for. Thank you!)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I can't see a scenario where I won't lose a bunch of dudes next turn, so my brave men and women must prepare for a fate worse than death. Driving a Russian car.

United Stations of Antarctica surrenders!

Pretty close and tense game though.
What would happen if we got into a stalemate where all we could do was move around and noone was weaker than the other?

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
I would assume a random doomsday flip would be required to tip the scales.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

True stalemates are only theoretically possible if the Doomsday deck is empty AND both players have only a single unit remaining AND the game saw only 0-3 Attacks. (There are 56 hexes on the board; the Doomsday deck places 52 radiation if fully played out.)

Otherwise, someone will always have either a better gang-up/threaten/spread-out-to-safety move, or a better Militarize opportunity.

Congratulations, Sailor Viy!

Now that you've finished the game, would you both do me a favor and answer some questions for me?

On a scale of 1-5,
A) How much did you enjoy the game?
B) How close would you say the game was?
C) How clear were the rules?
D) How much did luck determine the outcome of the game?
E) How much did your choices determine the outcome of the game?
F) If this game were available for ~$35 MSRP (with nicer art/pieces/etc) how inclined would you be to purchase it?

Please be both honest and harsh. I can't improve the game without accurate data. I welcome and encourage any additional comments you have about the game.

Finally, the most important question:

Would either of you like to play again?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 20, 2016

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Woo yeah! The progress of society towards communism is inevitable!

Here's my feedback:

A - 5. Loved it. It's brain-meltingly tense but the random elements stopped me from agonising too much over future turns. The 4 actions each is just enough to make the board state swing precipitously on each turn. Also, for a fairly abstract game it's totally flavourful. I love the image of the soldiers trekking across the dead hexes.
B - 4? Would need to play more to know.
C - 4. I've pointed out the few questions I had. Overall the rules are well written and laid out.
D/E - I don't think luck played a huge factor. I liked the amount of luck you had. I felt like there were a few turns where radiation came in from the north and I was like 'well gently caress you too, Doomsday Deck!' But later on there were some dead hexes in the South that really helped me. So I guess that means the deck is pretty well balanced.
F - yeah I'd buy it.

Yes I would like to play again pbp, and I'm also keen to print and play it. Do you have any advice on that, like what size paper to print and what to use as tokens?

I am interested to see how it does for replay value though, whether there will be roughly the same situations every time, or more variety.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

Yes I would like to play again pbp, and I'm also keen to print and play it. Do you have any advice on that, like what size paper to print and what to use as tokens?

Here's the files for my copy, and a photo in use. The half-maps and card sheets are sized for standard A4 printer paper or cardstock.

I use poker chips and glass vase-filler beads for my copy, because I have those lying around. Cubes or meeples work just as well.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Oh yeah, one other thing is that the rules work great for asynchronous play, but the setup phase not so much. Could you have an asynchronous variant where the players get to deploy 2 or 3 units at a time during setup?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
A) 5, it was great! I like that most problems happened because of my own mistakes, and because you just don't have enough resources to be completely safe. Every turn feels like a puzzle which I'm a big fan of.

B) 4-5 I guess? We felt pretty evenly matched, but I always felt like I was in damage control mode. I'd call that a feature, like in the COIN games.

C) 4. There is always room for improvement with examples and such, but all my rule gently caress-ups was strictly because I can't remember what I read.

D) 2 maybe. There isn't a lot of luck, and the doomsday destruction is pretty fair, especially because you can see it a turn ahead.
I've obviously only played the game once, but I'm lukewarm on the way refugees show up. They tend to land firmly in one player's territory, which is great in the early to middle game where there's lots of room and the players can pressgang then when they want to. They look like a huge liability in the late game when there just isn't enough room to support them, so one player can get screwed over by random chance. Again, this may be a feature, but I'd like to try a variant where they show up at the edges, like now, in the early game, more centrally in the middle game (doomsday preppers who run out of supplies or something) and doesn't show up at all in the late game.
I'm not a game designer, so I might be talking out of my rear end here :)

E) 4ish. You do have a lot of control over what happens.

F) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It doesn't take too long to play but I still fell like I've been exercising my brain.

I'd play it again, I'm already printing the stuff to take to the local board game cafe.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Just a head's up, I'll be launching new threads on Monday.

The current plan is to swap everyone's factions and opponents. So that means Sailor Viy (US) vs Fat Turkey (USSR), and Rumda (US) vs Electric Hobo (USSR). If this is a problem, please let me know.

Additionally, to any spectators: If you want to jump into a game of MELTWATER, this is a good opportunity to let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

:siren: NEW THREADS ARE UP :siren:

[MELTWATER Playtest] As you know, the Premier loves surprises (Rumda vs Electric Hobo)
[MELTWATER Playtest] You ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water? (Sailor Viy vs Fat Turkey)

Go go go go

• Locked thread