Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I'm a bit confused by my absentee voting status. Since I haven't explicitly registered to vote yet I'm assuming that it's too late for me but I'm still curious.

Anyway here's my situation:

I grew up in Arizona and registered to vote there when I turned 18 and filed state income taxes for work up until I moved out. My current driver's license is issued from Arizona and the address on file is just my sister's address that I have never lived in, and the last time I've ever lived in Arizona was years ago. I just kept the license and updated the address on it because Arizona licenses expire when you turn 65 so it's just easier and better than having to go through the hassle of renewing it every so many years. Who knows how legal this was but I didn't drive anyway so whatever.

After that I moved around for a bit but settled in Ohio for work and paid income taxes there. I didn't bother exchanging my Arizona license for an Ohio one because it was a hassle and I didn't think I needed to since I didn't drive or have a car,  so that also means I was never issued any form of Ohio ID. I also didn't register to vote in this state since it wasn't election time. I worked here for a couple years but now I've moved abroad and I'm not planing on leaving anytime soon or at all (if I did move back stateside it would be 2020+ and I wouldn't move back to either states).

If it matters I have familial ties to Arizona but I have no property in either states remaining. My parents don't live in the same home anymore so I don't have "a room" left for me to come back to. For what it's worth though I think that Arizona thinks I'm living at my sister's home since I've gotten one or two jury duty summons which were dismissed when I called them and told them I no longer lived there and both times they told me I needed to call the DMV to inform them so that my name is removed from their records (which I obviously didn't do).

If I wanted to register for absentee voting in the future, what state would I classify as? TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Arizona, since that's where your address is registered to.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Arizona, since that's where your address is registered to.

But Ohio is a swing state so officially move there for your USA home.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I wanted to register for absentee voting in the future, what state would I classify as? TIA.

You're supposed to register with whatever state you last lived in before you moved abroad. It doesn't matter if you don't maintain property or a current address of some kind in that state. In practice it will probably be easiest for you to register to vote in Arizona, but you should also be able to register in Ohio if you wanted (and like Elephanthead mentioned it's a swing state so you should probably pick Ohio).

https://www.fvap.gov/vao/vag/appendix/faq

• Locked thread