Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

paragon1 posted:

Day 27, it kicks in on Day 13.

I know this loving kid murdered his loving mom for shouting at him for playing videogames, it's obvious as goddamn daylight, but I can't get the loving pictures in the exact order they want them and there's a bazillion combinations it could be.

i cant figure this out either. there are so many extremely vague lovely photographs

edit: ohhhhhh. her opening the door is the first one, not somewhere in the middle, and the guy sneaking out is 3rd or 4th (game closes it as soon as i solved it)

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The devs post on Steam forums and also share solutions.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
do stripes actually decrease the risk of bullshit problems and unannounced work skipping? I have a 1200 detective thats a loving flake and im trying to decide if its worth it to train and stripe him

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A racist, a crook, and a murderer? So what, there's just the one cop?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FactsAreUseless posted:

A racist, a crook, and a murderer? So what, there's just the one cop?
very perceptive, this is a true story

Verviticus posted:

do stripes actually decrease the risk of bullshit problems and unannounced work skipping? I have a 1200 detective thats a loving flake and im trying to decide if its worth it to train and stripe him

allegedly, yes, but i have no hard data to point to on this.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dug around in the save files a bit and compared a save from 20 some days in to the restart i just did and it appears that cops inherent tendencies can change across the board. at a cursory glance, the more you use a cop the more reliable they seem to become, and there is a flag called "was promoted recently" so presumably you can badge someone, use them as much as possible and make them a good cop

minor cop trait spoiler: kochi is categorically the best starting cop

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Verviticus posted:

i cant figure this out either. there are so many extremely vague lovely photographs

edit: ohhhhhh. her opening the door is the first one, not somewhere in the middle, and the guy sneaking out is 3rd or 4th (game closes it as soon as i solved it)

yeah I didn't realize that picture was her answering the door, everything else I had was right.

The 1200 detective I hired that I have since dubbed "supercop" hasn't given me any trouble since I gave him a stripe. In fact I can't recall any officer I've given a stripe come to me with bullshit excuses to get out of work.

Now if only I could get that 700 professionalism detective to show up in the labor market again...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

paragon1 posted:

yeah I didn't realize that picture was her answering the door, everything else I had was right.

The 1200 detective I hired that I have since dubbed "supercop" hasn't given me any trouble since I gave him a stripe. In fact I can't recall any officer I've given a stripe come to me with bullshit excuses to get out of work.

Now if only I could get that 700 professionalism detective to show up in the labor market again...

Either Mole's being a little poo poo, or Last Temptation of Neptune must be a book the size of a fuckin' Buick. I'm waiting to give her a stripe so she can prove that 500 Prof is worth something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I took the deal to take on 1 completely worthless cop to get two good ones. At first I was like "gently caress it I'll send him on the big calls and partner him with really good cops on relatively easy ones and make something useful out of him gently caress YOU GAME"

and then I sent him to film commercials and he ended up being really good at it, and quit. So the problem solved itself anyway. Since I didn't fire him, the funding for the other positions didn't get pulled.

I am the best police chief. :smug:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MrSlam posted:

Either Mole's being a little poo poo, or Last Temptation of Neptune must be a book the size of a fuckin' Buick.

Some son of a bitch has been giving out book recommendation's for sure, I know that much.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I let people take the day off for their dead pets because I'm a sap that's gonna get shot by the mob.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

this is a pretty good game right up until the last third or so, where it completely loving falls apart. holy poo poo

i'll write up a decent mechanics primer and stuff in a day or two, but for now: ending spoilers

the final mission has you choose between an evil serial killer and an evil corrupt politician with no room for a third choice - chaffee being someone you should have put behind bars for being a loving serial killing piece of poo poo but you didnt because ???????????? which fucks over your friendship with lana, and rogers being someone you have enough dirt on to simply crush. i figured there would be a balancing act that took into account a few things during the game and gave you a corresponding ending but instead there's only one half-assed depressing ending with a different letter depending on which insane comic book villain you chose

the assault mission was whatever. a lot of people had trouble with it

the last 25 days were agonizing poo poo made worse by a politics system

collecting money didnt even seem to make a difference. i was rich, but who loving cares? I let some investigations into gangs end on the first tier because i dont give a gently caress about the bonus at that point

the worst part is that i genuinely depressing or bittersweet endings in my fiction. im completely chill with protagonists dying in vain or silly ways if the story is cohesive, but from catching the dentist to the end it just derails slowly. its a shame, because the game was headed to a really good point before that. oh well

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like this game tried WAY too hard to be noir, and ended up just making a boring predictable frustrating story. Can I investigate the racist gang attacking people instead of choosing between firing my cops or getting a mission failure screen? Sands just sent me a photograph of a murdered family, can I investigate that? Can I do anything about the gang war going on aside from sending police to help the gangs?

I get it, it's supposed to be grim, but it ends up just being annoying and not really letting you make any meaningful choices, you either do the bad thing and let the story go "woahh you did a bad thing" or get a game over. I was really excited for this and it ended up being a huge dissapointment.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if you bide your time you eventually get to handle all of that

a few weeks after the gang war wraps up, you will get an investigation to start the thread to dismantle whichever mafia family won, for example

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

if you bide your time you eventually get to handle all of that

a few weeks after the gang war wraps up, you will get an investigation to start the thread to dismantle whichever mafia family won, for example

Oh sweet, I might just try to muscle my way through the gang war bit then.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

of course, should you choose to do that (minor mechanical spoilers) you no longer have a reasonable way to bribe your departments loyalty into staying high and you have to start letting people have sick leave or whatever

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is that why I get labor complaints? I don't grant time off?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i never actually had a labour complaint, but im guessing if the teamloyalty number is low enough they start to whine. i just gave a good chunk of my mafia sales to the department

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

anyways, a few observations from beating the game. no spoilers will reveal anything about the story, but they are mechanically things people might care about? i wont put anything there i wouldnt have wanted to know

cops:

of the starting cops, kochi, yancey and i think robbins have the best temperaments - if you're gonna turn someone into a supercop quickly, they arent a bad choice. fire the garbage cops and send bursch jr to do the first optional/merchant mission
that said, succeeding assignments and being promoted reduces laziness and alcoholism. being promoted in particular sets a cops alcoholism stat to 0.
cops become alcoholics when they fail, when civilians die and especially when officers die on a shared assignment
if you feel like you can get away with it, send as many cops on as many assignments as possible. the downside is that you will be closer to being taxed at any point, but if you get away with this enough, your cops will have banked a shitton of professionalism and it won't really matter. don't send cops if you're pretty sure you're going to fail - refusing an assignment or failing it doesnt seem to make much of a difference
schooling is really powerful and operates the same way as promoting - an officer that succeeds at school will stop drinking. this is usually a better solution than firing a non-garbage cop
if you're really struggling, i every week you get a new pool of cops to hire, if you can hold out until next week there are a couple 1200s and a few 800s

city hall:

dont do their horrible poo poo. just be a good cop. often you will want the SWAT or paddy wagon or cops like 2 mins after their bullshit requests, so fulfill the ones you can spare and otherwise tell them to eat poo poo
returning evidence unsold makes city hall happy. you can use this if you're getting requests refused or whatever
upgrade your swat team a bunch early, and make sure you get a couple extra detectives unless you have a superstar team. bad detectives are still good because you need two to start an investigation, so if you have only 3 on each day you might miss some

mafia

at the very start: you have to do/allow at least one of the three first events. if you dont want to be a horrible corrupt cop that lets citizens get killed, let them get away with the first thing
afterwords you can just ignore those requests and do the "send cop somewhere" events. you cant lose anything and they dont make anyone mad. also, weirdly, it seems like drunk cops can do these without accidents

investigations

you dont have any real ticking clock to start investigations on people. on crime scenes, you have to do it by the end of the day
investigations get new information at midnight, days end at 2am. you can often try one location before you go to bed. don't do investigations without the lead detective. overtime is your friend here
sometimes the pictures are stupid and make no sense. i think basically every investigation is online if you're stuck
a good lead detective is used primarily for apprehension - their score gets added to the score of the cops + SWAT. use good detectives or it might be literally impossible to apprehend the guy. if your detective dies, you cant assign a new lead

story

it kinda sucks
there are two transition phases where some time passes. in both of these, two random cops will loving die for no reason and the game won't even tell you - they just vanish and get put into the "dead cops" pile in the save file. you can always try to savescum if you dont mind sitting through it
with regards to morality (medium, non-event spoiler): morality is what you make of it in this game - for the most part, the game doesnt even acknowledge if you're a good or bad guy

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Thanks Verviticus. That's really interesting. After the first time-skip I thought I did something wrong. I need to focus and finish this game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Father and Son, Burtz and Burtz, Jr. on the same shift.

Burtz, sr gets laid off due to city hall tightening the budget. Sad, but he's getting old.

I send Son and Dad on a call, one last ride for the PD.

Dad dies. Cue noire music.

Here I sit in my dark office. A glass of warm whiskey in one hand, a cigarette in the other. The city buzzes, uncaring. I take a long drag from my cigarette and think, not one man's life is worth a drat in this poo poo heap. Doesn't matter to me though. I fit right in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwvVhXItl1w

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 25, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

paragon1 posted:

I took the deal to take on 1 completely worthless cop to get two good ones. At first I was like "gently caress it I'll send him on the big calls and partner him with really good cops on relatively easy ones and make something useful out of him gently caress YOU GAME"

and then I sent him to film commercials and he ended up being really good at it, and quit. So the problem solved itself anyway. Since I didn't fire him, the funding for the other positions didn't get pulled.

I made him do some bitchwork side job and he quit. :smug:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Father and Son, Burtz and Burtz, Jr. on the same shift.

Burtz, sr gets laid off due to city hall tightening the budget. Sad, but he's getting old.

I send Son and Dad on a call, one last ride for the PD.

Dad dies. Cue noire music.

Here I sit in my dark office. A glass of warm whiskey in one hand, a cigarette in the other. The city buzzes, uncaring. I take a long drag from my cigarette and think, not one man's life is worth a drat in this poo poo heap. Doesn't matter to me though. I fit right in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwvVhXItl1w

I'd watch that movie. I'd own the Criterion Collection of that movie.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How are people liking this game? It's dropping to about ~$11 now on sale.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

monster on a stick posted:

How are people liking this game? It's dropping to about ~$11 now on sale.

I liked it. The gameplay is fun, it's challenging, reasonably long. The main complaint I've seen about it is that the narrative gets a little railroady, which I find to be a fair point. One might assume from the start of the game that you have more choice over how corrupt to be than you actually get.

I'd give it a B+ or A- personally. Certainly worth 11 clams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is worth the money, but yeah, you get driven to the gutter and you basically choose your shade of corruption. There is no dove option.

• Locked thread