Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hard times everywhere.

She worried it was getting dark out — then it was getting light out. They ended up in someone else’s field, in someone else’s car —
an early morning joyride, and a sunrise collision.
Years later, he’d think of this as the moment he himself started drifting.

I'm looking for the Zero.

From the hound's mouth:

Cardboard Computers posted:

Kentucky Route Zero is a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky, and the mysterious folks who travel it.
Developed by Cardboard Computer (Jake Elliott and Tamas Kemenczy), the game features an original score by Ben Babbitt, along with a suite of old hymns and bluegrass standards recorded by The Bedquilt Ramblers.
The game is split into five acts. Act I, II, III, and IV are available now. The remaining act will be released when it's completed. Taken as a whole, Kentucky Route Zero is roughly the length of a summer night.
--Acts I, II, III, and IV are available now and the remaining act will be released as when it's completed.
--A focus on characterization, atmosphere, and storytelling rather than clever puzzles or challenges of skill.
--A unique art treatment inspired by theatrical set design.
--A haunting score accompanied by ambient sounds as you wander the highways of Kentucky.

One part Another World, another part decaying American dream, and a sprinkling of Welcome to Night Vale, come together to create this incredible, incredible game. It is a game that must be played to be experienced. Do not sell yourself short by watching someone else play it; by reading anything further in this OP; by even listening to one of the songs I've sneakily linked to the previous images. Buy it here, on Steam, or here, on GOG, or maybe on Humble Store, or just on the developer's own website. If you must, watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look, now some years old and only going over the first Act. If this OP is sparse, that's sort of the point: it's an adventure game, at heart, so the journey's what matters.

http://kentuckyroutezero.com/

Insofar as spoilers are concerned, I think that everything before Act IV is green to go, and Act IV spoilers should be black boxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Taking the second post for Just-In-Case but to show my love for this game, first person who posts in this thread with a long and acceptably somber sob story about why they haven't bought KRZ yet will get a Steam key free of charge. Or, the key goes to whoever posts the best blues song.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 13, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it an adventure game in the style of the 90's where you gotta pick up items to solve puzzles or is it closer to things like Oxenfree where you more or less just follow the line from point A to B and enjoy the story as it plays out? I've seen it on sale a few times but I've always held off on buying it since it isn't finished. I'm afraid I'll forget about it and never finish it even once it's out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

Is it an adventure game in the style of the 90's where you gotta pick up items to solve puzzles or is it closer to things like Oxenfree where you more or less just follow the line from point A to B and enjoy the story as it plays out? I've seen it on sale a few times but I've always held off on buying it since it isn't finished. I'm afraid I'll forget about it and never finish it even once it's out.

The latter kind. There are very few puzzles and the ones that exist are mostly just ways to get to more content.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a long sob story about why I haven't bought this, it's just one of those things where every time I remember about it I don't really have the spare cash (like now) and at one point just sorta decided to wait until it was completed before spending my money. Glad to hear they finally got act IV out.

However, I've played enough to say it could end up being along my favourites ever. The graphical style is absolutely gorgeous, especially the way the perspective changes in larger environments, and the mix of mystery/storytelling/character work is extremely my poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

What happened to the old KRZ thread? Was it archived?

I just played Act IV. As usual, I don't think I understand what's happening, but I'd like to think I have an idea. It's an eerie and beautiful game though that makes me wish more games would model themselves on its aesthetic. You don't really have a limit in terms of creativity with video games, and yet KRZ is one of a few games that actually takes advantage of that fact. The entire experience is otherworldly in a way that even literal "otherworldly" games like No Man's Sky can never be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Nah, it just fell back a lot of pages I think. I have it bookmarked.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753264

• Locked thread