Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I am on Dish network, and Velocity channel is part of our package. It's full of automobiles and car dudes and ladies, and it can be hard to figure out which show you're actually watching until you can match car guys with which program is on. All except one: Wheeler Dealers.

WD stars only two people, Mike Brewer as the man who sources cars and parts, and Edd China as the mechanic/painter/interior/etc. man. Mike looks for specific cars at specific prices for to buy. He searches car mags and the internet, with ne'er a clue as to why each show will feature what auto. Mike brings the car to Edd. Edd takes the car apart to fix and does EVERYTHING to make it a solid used car for sale (some of even come out better than new). It's a pretty solid block of entertainment if you like cars. I've learned more about the parts of a car and what they do for someone who never took a shop class. If you can catch it on channel 246 I highly recommend it.

Did I mention they're both Englishmen? I think that's why it's fun to watch. If you can put up with them constantly calling parts by the wrong names, it is a lot of fun. Dad told me last week when I changed the oil in his 2002 Ford Explorer that I watch it too much when I told him to "pop the bonnet" and get the filter out of "the boot." Somebody help me:I'm g ay for Mike & Edd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Doesn't sound like there are many ladies in the show though.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
:secondpost:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EngineerSean posted:

Doesn't sound like there are many ladies in the show though.

That's exactly how I learned I must be gay.
"All Girls Garage" is pretty drat good, though.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am on Dish network

is the dish mounted on the side of your trailer or mounted on a pole in front of it?

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

I love this show too... Edd drat near does a perfect restoration job then they turn the car over for a really small profit. I think that's a part of it's charm compared to US based shows where it's huge profit or a garage meltdown drama scenario.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I sold an old Miata that i traded my old dead Benz for $3500 couple weeks ago so ive been living off the high hog for quite some time now

edd needs to go on strike

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
one of the best car shows on tv, but the latest season is starting to drift into contrived scripted bullshit

i don't need to see mike pretending to tear out a dashboard while wearing a rolex daytona or seeing whether a chevy luv can deliver bins of grain to cows grazing on a mountaintop. just give me edd in a dorky t-shirt while struggling to find a nice way of saying "the lotus esprit was designed by sadists". the brits have the advantage of not having to shill some lovely product every 5 minutes so that the sponsors pay for the production the show, so you're already way ahead of your american competitors for gently caress's sake

just pick out cool old cars and fix them with a minimum of nonsense, it isn't that hard

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Robot Pride posted:

is the dish mounted on the side of your trailer or mounted on a pole in front of it?

I live in a two story house outside of Moscow, TN. I am 3/4 mile away from the cable line on the main road. Xfinity wants $25,000 to bring the line to my house. I want xfinity to go gently caress themselves.

We have a neighbor putting five houses behind us for his family, and we're really hoping he has the scratch to get it done. Satellite television and internet suck major rear end, but it's worth it in the end. Plus, I'm an amateur astronomer and having zero light pollution is really nice.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
We only have 10 TV Channels in NZ and half of them are chinese and the other half are indian

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jeff Sichoe posted:

We only have 10 TV Channels in NZ and half of them are chinese and the other half are indian

I have 100+ channels but shopping networks and bilk-old-ladies "religious " programming make up half of that.

Of course, we have Fox News AND the Weather channel, so Granny is happy.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am on Dish network, and Velocity channel is part of our package. It's full of automobiles and car dudes and ladies, and it can be hard to figure out which show you're actually watching until you can match car guys with which program is on. All except one: Wheeler Dealers.

WD stars only two people, Mike Brewer as the man who sources cars and parts, and Edd China as the mechanic/painter/interior/etc. man. Mike looks for specific cars at specific prices for to buy. He searches car mags and the internet, with ne'er a clue as to why each show will feature what auto. Mike brings the car to Edd. Edd takes the car apart to fix and does EVERYTHING to make it a solid used car for sale (some of even come out better than new). It's a pretty solid block of entertainment if you like cars. I've learned more about the parts of a car and what they do for someone who never took a shop class. If you can catch it on channel 246 I highly recommend it.

Did I mention they're both Englishmen? I think that's why it's fun to watch. If you can put up with them constantly calling parts by the wrong names, it is a lot of fun. Dad told me last week when I changed the oil in his 2002 Ford Explorer that I watch it too much when I told him to "pop the bonnet" and get the filter out of "the boot." Somebody help me:I'm g ay for Mike & Edd!

Stick out yer hand mate!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Edd's hair owns and he rocks the nitrile gloves like a boss. I get sweaty and the sweat drips up my arm when I wear any kinda glove that doesn't breathe when i do work so kudos to him for staying dry and doing good work.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

I always liked how much trouble the buy/sell guy had with pronouncing wheels/wheel/wheeler

weewuh deewuhs

the weeeewuhs on the bus go wound and wound

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CannedMacabre posted:

Stick out yer hand mate!

You just bought yourself a crackin' good Zsag-u-are!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Wheeler Dealers make sense if you value your labor and the time and resources it took you to get the skills to do it at $0.

"We spent two weeks tearing down this Bentley for a repaint, and our profit after parts and labor we had to outsource was £200".

Another show in the same genre if you like nice cars and no-value labor is For the Love of Cars, I watched the whole thing in one day.

Also, Paul is the best guy on WD.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Been filling my time with WD for a while now, great background noise while doing stuff around the house.
I've also been enjoying chasing classic cars because the guy going around sounds really chill and has a cool mustache.
Another great show is fantom works just because the owner guy is really cool and they don't really do all the retarded scripted drama bullshit alot of the other car shows do. Plus most of their cars dont have retarded paint schemes and craaazy features like that counting cars show does.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i cant stand the loving fat piggy guy

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

evobatman posted:

Also, Paul is the best guy on WD.

I heard that they're remaking Caruso with his pal Paul, who doesn't get a lot of air time but he's always there when you need a hand.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The car is in good nick.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

RocketSurgeon posted:

Been filling my time with WD for a while now, great background noise while doing stuff around the house.
I've also been enjoying chasing classic cars because the guy going around sounds really chill and has a cool mustache.
Another great show is fantom works just because the owner guy is really cool and they don't really do all the retarded scripted drama bullshit alot of the other car shows do. Plus most of their cars dont have retarded paint schemes and craaazy features like that counting cars show does.

I hate Counting Cars., Its like any huge piece of Detroit trash is cool if it was made in the seventies

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

The car is in good nick.

This show has convinced me that "in good nick" is British for "riddled with rust".

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The people on Counting Cars have zero taste. Everything they do is ugly and an extension of their terrible cross dagger thing logo.

I stick to Overhaulin' because I like Chip's style and Wheeler Dealers because It's usually simple, realistic upgrades. The stuff they do normally doesn't require that your car be in the shop for over a year.

I'll check out FantomWorks because I hate scripted drama in a car show.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 16, 2016

Doompants
May 22, 2015

That show is still on? I have consumed many lunches while watching it. It is like Snatch without the crime, which would suck in theory, but is great in reality.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doompants posted:

That show is still on? I have consumed many lunches while watching it. It is like Snatch without the crime, which would suck in theory, but is great in reality.

I just don't want to slip up and tell my friends," Join me next time. Ta-la!" *waves*

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I hate watching wheeler dealers beacuse when the series was made cool, classic cars were cheap, but since then classic car prices have shot up. gently caress you Mike for buying a Porsche 911 for £5k, today that car would at least me £30k or more.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don't really get why there are people now spending six figures to the the "right" 80's 911, but I've never liked Porsches so to each his own.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
It's on right now with a Mercedes slk from 2012.

Paul was on screen helping Edd bleed the brakes. Maybe 2 seconds, and he never looked at the camera. He is the consummate professional :3:.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

evobatman posted:

Wheeler Dealers make sense if you value your labor and the time and resources it took you to get the skills to do it at $0.

Not to mention the thousands of dollars in very specific tools they use on each of their car rebuilds. Its a fun show but the whole reselling thing for a "profit" is silly. If you're a very well versed mechanic with the technical know how and a life long accumulation of various tools then yeah, sure, it can be kind of somewhat sorta maybe be accurate in how much you can make flipping a car. If you have that knowledge and tool collection you could also make a hell of a lot more money with less effort doing anything else automotive related.

What makes the show is its low production effort, chill attitude and lack of corporate sponsorship bullshit being thrown in your face. There is also no human interest sob story I have to sit through every episode that american television seems to love these days. Its like the cooking shows where every contestant has a kid with a disability or some other hard knock life factoid. I wanna watch people make stupid food dishes not a Sarah McLachlan animal cruelty commercial.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Wheeler Dealers is great, but right now I'm hooked on Border Security Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0o6BrxKpo

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

FalloutGod posted:

Not to mention the thousands of dollars in very specific tools they use on each of their car rebuilds.

In the Maserati 3200GT episode they used a Maserati diagnostic computer to read codes from the car. No comment about where it came from or why they had it. People can end up with a bunch of different generic and specific code readers, but a Maserati diagnostic tool is not something that ends up in the hands of even the most dedicated hobbyists.

Border Security Australia is awesome. So many people trying to bring raw pork into Australia and pretending not to understand English!

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I love this show, but as already stated in this thread the new seasons are a bit contrived. Not that the first few seasons were totally authentic. I mean, Edd China is a loving pro so I imagine his salary/hr would be astronomical.

But I miss those original days of restoring historically "somewhat insignificant" cars on an extreme budget with rattle-can paint jobs.

I have an extreme man crush on Edd. :swoon:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Garcin posted:

I have an extreme man crush on Edd. :swoon:

Maybe we could clone Edd and add Giorgio Tsoukalos from Ancient Aliens into the DNA to recreate Einstein levels of "I do not give a gently caress" hair..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I also enjoy this show. Maybe they shouldn't insist on selling the refurbished car at the end of each episode. Seems like if they're willing to hold on to a car for up to a year, they could find a more lucrative deal. Edd could be all "remember that porsher noin eleben we restored last summer? Just found a boyer who offered us 30K quid" or whatever.

• Locked thread