Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
A few weeks ago I read that "Boys dont cry" was supposed to be released the following day. That didn't happen and now supposedly the album is called Endless and is coming out in August 34th.

All the reports seem to contradict one another. Where the gently caress is this album? When is it actually coming out?

Edit: New Album released 8-20-16 at 6pm EST

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/blonde/id1146195596

AARO fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Endless is out now on Apple Music and is a visual album. No one has any idea if Boys Don't Cry will ever come out.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

quote:

Frank Ocean Releases a Visual Album,
With More to Come

By JOE COSCARELLI AUG. 19, 2016

Frank Ocean is taking delayed gratification to a new level with the extended release of his new album.

On Thursday night, two weeks after the expected on-sale date for this experimental R&B singer’s second LP — and more than a year after a previously teased release date for the album, thought to be called “Boys Don’t Cry” — Mr. Ocean proved once again to be unpredictable: Instead of a standard digital drop of new songs, he released “Endless,” a 45-minute “visual album” available for streaming exclusively via Apple Music.

The extended video — reminiscent of Beyoncé’s “Lemonade” in length — features multiple likenesses of Mr. Ocean, in black and white, undertaking a construction project in what appears to be a warehouse. It is scored by previously unheard music from him, and he proceeds to build a spiral staircase in the middle of the room. The finished video resembles a stream that has played on and off for weeks on boysdontcry.co, a website affiliated with Mr. Ocean’s new album.

The credit sequence for “Endless” lists 18 songs, including two ambient interludes and a cover of “At Your Best (You Are Love)” by the Isley Brothers. Other song titles include “Alabama,” U-N-I-T-Y,” “Commes Des Garcons,” “Wither,” “In Here Somewhere,” “Sideways,” “Mine,” “Hublots,” “Slide on Me,” “Florida,” “Deathwish (ASR),” “Rushes,” “Rushes To” and “Higgs.” Mr. Ocean is listed as the director, executive producer and creative director.

Featured artists include Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, who provided string orchestration, the producer Arca, the singer-songwriter Alex G, and the vocalists Jazmine Sullivan and Sampha.

Those expecting a conventional album may have a bit more waiting to do — a representative for Apple Music said in a statement that fans should “keep an eye out this weekend for more from Frank.” The release is also expected to include a printed publication called “Boys Don’t Cry.”

Mr. Ocean has not released an album since his widely hailed debut, “Channel Orange,” in 2012. He first announced the title for his follow-up three years ago and has surfaced in song only intermittently since, appearing as a vocalist or songwriter on albums by Kanye West and James Blake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/arts/music/frank-ocean-endless-visual-album.html?_r=0

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Video for the song Nikes was just released

https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.06571398-669c-11e6-9b66-283cdffd1e01

It's a meloncholic video with a bunch of naked people. not safe for work

AARO fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 20, 2016

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

So when frank does it everyone is ok but when kanye does it the world is falling down?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
New Album "Blond"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/blonde/id1146195596

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

power botton posted:

So when frank does it everyone is ok but when kanye does it the world is falling down?

twitter has been wringing themselves into knots about this just like they did with Life of Pablo.

not sure who ever said this was ok

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so is this good or what

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
It's a great low-key album. I dunno how this dude got hyped up so much, but people expecting a follow-up to songs like Pyramids and Thinking About You gonna be disappointed. The skits are bad, Andre 3000 is great. Perfect album for the last weeks of summer

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 21, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm listening now and it's good but meandering which is exactly how I felt about Channel Orange. Gonna be interested in what people say the progression in his music is since then because to me there is an element of "this took four years, for real?" right now. Ivy/Pink + White are pretty great.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ivy, Pink/White, Nights (holy poo poo) are the great standouts so far, really like this album

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how is autotune still a thing

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Abu Dave posted:

how is autotune still a thing

It's funny because he uses both pitch-correcting and auto-tune, after talking poo poo about both in Novacane.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

It's funny because he uses both pitch-correcting and auto-tune, after talking poo poo about both in Novacane.

Auto Tune is a pitch correction plugin, yes? Everyone uses Melodyne now, or at least they did a couple years ago. Anyway, he uses pitch correction on Novacane and all of that album and Channel Orange and this one.

Anyway digital pitch correction is never going away, it's just getting less and less perceptible, unless you want it to be.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22295-blonde-endless/

What a lovely website

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

this is a correct opinion, but what does it have to do with that review

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Aside from Nikes, Nights and Pink and White, this album sounds like a collection of demo songs. Solo is a total piece of poo poo. Many of the songs are boring garbage. This album sounds totally unfinished. I feel like Frank was trying so hard to be creative he made a pseudo artistic collection of unworked out ideas. This is not a follow up album, it's an idea for a follow up album.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
solo is really good and so is a lot of this album but it is a bit long.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

AARO posted:

Solo is a total piece of poo poo.

This is incorrect, Solo is great. The reprise is even better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think the album is very good, and that spoken word thing with the French guy makes me actually angry and want to punch him. Just accept the loving friend request you weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
there are definitely times where the album has its head up its rear end and thinking it can do no wrong. but overall it's really good

• Locked thread