Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Don't sweat the math too hard engineers. Most of the applications of math in engineering classes and work are way simpler than the math in a math class. If you can retain the basics of how linear algebra, stats, and calc work you're in the clear! Now get out there and find that saddle point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I never did higher than grade 11 math and now I'm a cushy salaried project manager and logistics engineer

took a lot of learning poo poo on my own, poo poo warehouse jobs, losing credibility asking questions everyone else learns in first year supply chain management, and learning stats+coding+spreadsheet visualizations

my ba is in history lol

took about 4 years from shop floor to HQ, I've never been paid so much to output so little

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

According to the person at the enrollment office...

"First year Physics are designed to eliminate people." "No one" (and I loving am quoting her) Passes on the first try.

Just loving think about that. 100% failure rate, no matter how smart or knowledgeable an applicant. Flat out telling the entire world to, in a nutshell, Go gently caress Yourself.

How is it a loving incentive to attend this "institution"?

or to pay them what like $15k for the opportunity lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Have fun with all the 18 year old women who just moved out of their parents place to live on campus

It will be an emotional rollercoaster of a time

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
first class back today: my professor was wearing bright neon colors, including his headband and shorts, none of them the same neon color, and he kept saying the word 'poo poo' every 10 seconds so we knew he was one of us

i liked it, and will invite him to smoke a weed with me in the weed room just like that rodney dangerfield movie where the professor is cool but the students are even cooler

also i owned some bitches who were talking about political meta data because i interrupted and said 'im the opposite of slim and heterosexual' to get around the campus joke filter

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Serious Frolicking posted:

when i went back to school i simply could not wrap my head around statistics. it made me feel incredibly stupid in a way that is usually reserved for my life choices.
same but calculus. still passed, somehow

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just just write a fake degree on my CV

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Can you buy me beer thanks bro sweet dorm room.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

SweetKarma posted:

Do this question for me and I'll give you a blowjob.

in what kind of backwards country do you still use "atm" as a unit for pressure lmao

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

same but calculus. still passed, somehow

honestly the best way to "get" math,physics and stats is to do a LOT of psychedelics

It'll open your dumb mind

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Fried Watermelon posted:

honestly the best way to "get" math,physics and stats is to do a LOT of psychedelics

It'll open your dumb mind
i dont have to do any math anymore, just a lot of CS and CS profs are the loving worst

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
nobody cares

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

congrats OP!

Returning to college later in life is usually a very good decision.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

yeah dog that's a really easy proportion problem lol

code:
9kg            X
_____    =   ______

44atm        31.2atm
solve for X

It's me I'm the 30 year old white "man" Who regularly uses the word "dog"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

It's me I'm the 30 year old white "man" Who regularly uses the word "dog"

i have personally moved onto fam :colbert:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Going back to school while old is great, it's like entering a safe bubble away from life's worries (if you can afford to go full time)

You are already beaten down and used to doing what your told so you look amazing compared to the younger students just by doing what the assignment actually says and turning it in on time.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
There was a stinky old hog farmer in one of my classes who literally came to class wearing dirty overalls covered with pig poo poo hope that helps OP

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I admit it's fun seeing all the bright-eyed youngin's fresh out of high school. Life is still new and interesting for them. They'll learn.

Also, thank god for yoga pants.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SweetKarma posted:

Also, thank god for yoga pants.

Yah this is good too

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I went back to collage as an adult.

Everyone under 25 should be murdered.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Just started my PhD at 30 on the taxpayer dime, several retirees going out right when I'm done, hello tenure track and the yawning grave thereafter

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

you can review Calc 1 in about a page. Power rule, product rule, chain rule, derivatives are a linear operator.

That's about it.

Need to review log diff and implicit diff too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Captain Yossarian posted:

There was a stinky old hog farmer in one of my classes who literally came to class wearing dirty overalls covered with pig poo poo hope that helps OP

this guy sounds unironically cool as hell

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Captain Yossarian posted:

The peasant class worker at my collage would go into the hallway to take work calls and yell so loud we were sure he didn't actually need the phone.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm as old as you op and if I ever go back to college I'll make sure to wear cargo pants and bring a thermos to class everyday.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I like to wear my hat backwards and blast smash mouth in the parking lot by myself.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this guy sounds unironically cool as hell

I legitimately laughed every time because he drove my classmates nuts because he was ALWAYS asking stupid questions... God bless that old man... I wonder where he's at now?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
congrats OP you won't be brain dead at 50 like most people because they haven't learned anything new since they were about 25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Looking for a calculator suggestion OP well I have one for you here in my hot hot hot calculator reccomendation first page of GBS thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788067

• Locked thread