Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the league this year
This poll is closed.
Celtic 9 18.75%
Aberdeen 7 14.58%
Hearts 2 4.17%
The Rangers 5 10.42%
Hibs are shite 25 52.08%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Total Meatlove posted:

Blaming Rangers for the Premier League getting sky money won’t make Scottish football healthier either Jesus christ

lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jre posted:

From a technical perspective Rangers played 48 ineligible players in these games because they submitted fake contracts to the SFA as part of defrauding the tax man.

The SFA punishment for Spartans failing to date one page of a contract for a player was to throw them out the Scottish cup and fine them £4,000.
Rangers submitting 48 fake contracts was totally fine though apparently

Nobody wants the vacated titles, but they should 100% be stripped.

I can't see that you can make an argument around fraudulent contracts, unless Rangers specifically engineered the contracts to be fraudulent. In which case, that was the case the first time the SFA investigated, the contracts were always fraudulent and the Supreme Court ruling doesn't make a difference to that.

If you go down the line of saying that the judgement makes the contracts retrospectively fraudulent, in a way that they wouldn't have been had it been perfectly fine to make non-taxable payments through loans, that seems a fairly suspect claim. Assuming that the contracts had some boilerplate about players having access to a Big Gay Loan Pot, then most employment contracts I've ever seen don't need to make any declarations regarding tax.

Again, this isn't to say that Rangers didn't murder fitba and now fitba is dead, but I don't see why it surprises anyone that the SFA spoke to a lawyer and the lawyer made a face

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I can't see that you can make an argument around fraudulent contracts, unless Rangers specifically engineered the contracts to be fraudulent.
They did, they submitted fake ones that had made up salary amounts and differed from the one's actually given to players and their agents

quote:

In which case, that was the case the first time the SFA investigated, the contracts were always fraudulent and the Supreme Court ruling doesn't make a difference to that.
So Cambel Olgalvie who was company secretary of Rangers and who personally wrote the bullshit contracts in question left the club and became the head of the SFA,
He was in the position of setting up the investigation into what he did while at Rangers. He decided the correct thing to do was hire an impartial third party , and chose the only suitable man for the job, David Murray's next door neighbour Lord Nimmo Smith

Nimo Smith ruled that because at the time of the inquiry the tax dodge had been ruled legal ( subject to appeal by HMRC ) there was "no sporting advantage".
The dodge has now exhausted all appears, isn't legal so people think it should be re-evaluated because the premise of the original inquiry doesn't hold any more

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jose posted:

lol what

Trying to claim that Rangers are responsible for the deterioration of Scottish football in the mid-late 90’s and early 00’s because of side letters - which BisonDollah is attempting upthread - is laughable given that the biggest culprit was the growing disparity between English clubs with new Sky money and Scottish clubs without.

If you tracked the top 20 richest clubs in Europe over the last three decades all you’d see is the inflation of English Premier league clubs ( and Newcastle the odd time they go down) outstripping established European sides who rely more heavily on merchandising and ticket sales. Burnley are richer than AC Milan, Bournemouth have more cash than Dortmund etc.

Even now the SPFL’s media rights are worth less than United get paid for 5? games. How the gently caress are Rangers to blame for that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i didn't really read all his post because it was too long but rangers definitely deserve ot lose their titles and should

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

jre posted:

I'm sure Bert would have definitely signed for Rangers for half the wages.

We should have a whip round for him after his bankruptcy from the tax proceedings against him and the other 47 players.

If Konterman and the other foreigners had any sense they'll have long since left the UK and become non-resident for tax purposes.

Barry Ferguson's probably hosed though.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jre posted:

They did, they submitted fake ones that had made up salary amounts and differed from the one's actually given to players and their agents

So Cambel Olgalvie who was company secretary of Rangers and who personally wrote the bullshit contracts in question left the club and became the head of the SFA,
He was in the position of setting up the investigation into what he did while at Rangers. He decided the correct thing to do was hire an impartial third party , and chose the only suitable man for the job, David Murray's next door neighbour Lord Nimmo Smith

Nimo Smith ruled that because at the time of the inquiry the tax dodge had been ruled legal ( subject to appeal by HMRC ) there was "no sporting advantage".
The dodge has now exhausted all appears, isn't legal so people think it should be re-evaluated because the premise of the original inquiry doesn't hold any more

I don't know why I'm in any fashion surprised at the idea of scottish football being run on the same basis as the burmese junta, but there you go

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Everyone has conveniently forgotten Celtic also used EBT's. They just didn't win anything of note during that times so nobody is arsed.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

jre posted:

I'm sure Bert would have definitely signed for Rangers for half the wages.

We should have a whip round for him after his bankruptcy from the tax proceedings against him and the other 47 players.

Yes. I'm sure he'll be making regular monthly payments, from his home out with the uk tax system, you mongo.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Thrifting Day! posted:

Everyone has conveniently forgotten Celtic also used EBT's. They just didn't win anything of note during that times so nobody is arsed.

They used an EBT once for Juninho, they didn't fake his contract and they unwound it and paid the tax due when it became obvious EBS weren't valid

Nice attempt at deflection though

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Thrifting Day! posted:

They paid one player through an EBT. And then paid the tax on it.

Nice try though.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Thrifting Day! posted:

Yes. I'm sure he'll be making regular monthly payments, from his home out with the uk tax system, you mongo.

I'm sure he will https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/tax-cooperation-control/tax-recovery_en

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I'm sure this will happen...

Wait, Remember brexit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol at rangers supporters defending their massive tax fraud

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Thrifting Day! posted:

I'm sure this will happen...

Wait, Remember brexit?

Remember last night's result? There's a Brexit for ye. :yarg:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Guy at work is a massive Rangers fan...went over to watch the match and everything. Printed out heaps of Progres logos, flags etc and stuck them to his monitors. #banter

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I like it when bad stuff happens to Rangers because fans of every other club get to be friends and laugh about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just saw the thread title lmao

• Locked thread