Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Let's celebrate Jack "King" Kirby on his 99th birthday!!!

He's doing murals for God and chillin with Rozz in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

More, MORE!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

I like the rat at the top, with lips

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

quote:

Transilvane is a fictional small artificial planet with two horn-like protuberances in the DC Comics Universe. It was created by Jack Kirby in Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #142 and #143 (October–November 1971).

Transilvane's official name was E.T.A.S. (Extraterrestrial Artificial Simulation). It was created at the behest of NASA to simulate and study extraterrestrial environments, with an eye towards long-term human colonization. When the project ran out of government funding, Dabney Donovan seeded the planet with miniature lifeforms and used orbiting Movie projectors to project horror films on the planet's clouds. As a result, the Transilvanians assumed the shapes and habits of classic horror film monsters.

Donovan was eventually planning to wipe Transilvane clean, using a robotic "Demon Dog" to spray it with a poison gas. To stop him, several Transilvanians, led by the vampire Count Dragorin and the werewolf Lupek, came to Earth in coffin-shaped, size-altering spacecraft. They failed to find Donovan, but Superman, assisted by Jimmy Olsen, destroyed the Demon Dog and saved Transilvane.

The story ended with Superman having decided to reprogram the Transilvanians by replacing the horror movies with projections of Oklahoma!.

Also, it should be noted that artists have been drawing Kirby stuff all day.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/WakeUpAndDraw?src=hash

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ah poo poo, I'm late.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Kirby had some amazing ideas. And some others.

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 29, 2016

• Locked thread